Rickson Gracie’s memoir ‘Breathe’ spills a lot of tea

Yeah there was a lot of marketing and family dynamics that went into rorion going with royce.

Royce was brand new to the country and completely reliant on rorion during that time period. Rickson had already found his footing in the country. Royce was way more controllable. Rickson and rorion were already having beef over control over rickson and money.

1 Like

His mother looked like an octaroon at most

I believe there was a push to have him be the family rep but there was a blow up because Rickson wanted to be paid like a pro fighter and Helio viewed the early UFCs as about family honor.

There was a blow-up because Rickson started having students in his garage or academy,I don’t remember which one that was ( That is why Royce was selected )

The problem with money & Rickson came around UFC 3 or 4 it was one of those also (Rickson wanted a $1,000,000)

Don’t go believing that propaganda shit that Royce was less muscular and intimidating looking.Rickson was going to represent the family until he had a falling out with Rorion about stealing students.

2 Likes

Fabiano Iha on the Lytes Out Podcast said the decision to use Royce was a case of not sending your best troops out for the first battle (or something similar). If Royce lost they had the superior Rickson to step in next. If Rickson was in first and lost it would not have looked good.

2 Likes

Don’t drink the Kool-Aid ^^^

1 Like

Royce said Rorion kept most of the money and pretty much treated him like a kid by giving him pocket money from it.

3 Likes

Rorion is worth tens of millions from what I understand. I wonder how much he made from the SEG or whatever that company was. I kniw he made a lot from GJJ empire but not that much i wouldn’t think.

Didnt his sons take him to court?

No his sons opened a school nearby and put him out of business.

That part i definitely knew

1 Like

Takada fight with Coleman was a work.

3 Likes

and Cro Cop. Basically the only Takada fights that were real were the Rickson ones.

1 Like

Apparently they offered him some sort of honouring position and salary and he refused and said he’ll never set foot in the school. (not sure if he’s changed his stance on that).
…but I think at least a tiny part of him must feel some sense of pride.

“Screwing over family members and trying to take it all for yourself. I truly have nothing left to teach you.”

2 Likes

I believe a few mill from what Art Davie said before

1 Like