Rickson predicted Stand and Wang phenomenon

Mad Xyientist -  Who says the striker can't grappling?

LMAO!!!!!

I forgot about that! Do you have a link to that?

A few years ago (3, 4?) I had shirt made with "Japanese Pimp Association" on the front and "Who says ho can't loving?" on the back. I loved that shirt. Then a girl stole it.

Rickson is a 1000% correct.

I agree with Rickson to some extent. Damien Maia knows just enough kickboxing to get KTFO. Anyone who tangles with him on the ground is in deep trouble. Why stand at all?

The reason is the rules demand it and reward it.

In a fight with no time limits, no judeges, no rounds and no standups, a jiu jitsu fighter would not need anything else to have a solid chance. But that's not MMA and thank goodness, because it's boring to watch.

I admire Rickson, and wish I could have seen him fight more, but he is full of shit if he thinks even a younger version of himself could defeat the likes of Fedor.  Rickson had alot of trouble taking YAMAMOTO down and defeating him iirc.

Unless you have godlike wrestling, you're not gonna be able to take a good wrestler down without learning striking. Rickson never fought a good wrestler in MMA. Shooting in on air without striking is a good way to never get invited back to any organization.

Rickson is bang on, I have been saying this about Maia for awhile.

The more he trains his standup and gets comfortable with it, the more likely he is to get blasted standing.  Aoki has the right idea, he knows his limitations and he works to his strengths.  He is a master at range and works well defensively standing up, he neevr gets drawn into striking fights against guys that are better in that realm than him, he will do anything in his power to make sure the fight goes where he wants it too.

Its what boggles my mind when idiots say Aoki has shit standup like that matters, if he started training his standup with the intention of standing with guys it would jsut get him KOd and seeing as how he has never been stopped on the feet, I think he has the right idea.

the oleg taktarov trying to box gary goodridge after boxing a little bit.... amaury bitetti standing with mastre hulk.... stand n' wang has been around a long time. rickson will have seen this since the early days of mma.

andre - Rickson is a 1000% correct.

I'm a BJJ guy, and I agree in a real fight, ie no time limits, fight until one is KO'ed or submitted, but with 5 minute rounds, you have to work on other things.

Example, if Rickson fought Brock Lesnar. How much of that 5 minutes would be used with RG trying to get Brock on the ground if Brock did not want to?

I see his point to however he's basing that on a time and place that is in the past.Let him get the best guy to compete under his concepts now.Including him.I wish it was him.Times Change.I wish he could fight Fedor under no time limits and give him the payday he says he would comeback for to secure his financial future cause otherwise i cannot agree anymore under the current MMA conditions and i am a huge rickson fan.

and of course bueno-vov..

rickson = correct

Rickson is talking about Vale Tudo, not UFC sport fighting with rounds and spar type rules

different world

Rickson is talking in the context of 15 years ago.

also in the context of real fighting. Or at least more realistic than the current modern MMA sport format.

Rickson is right. Too many guys don't play to their strengths. Sonnen beat Marquardt because Sonnen played to his strength.

IrishRottie - smart guy but this only applies to select fighters and there is most definitly as need to train everything.

Demian Maia last night. He couldnt utilise his BJJ and because he has been training alot of standup it won him the fight.

Or maybe he was so busy training standup and striking badly that he missed opportunities to use his BJJ and win decisively

and against some guy he'll squeak by and against another (nate) he'll get KTFO

he is correct. people forget how much the game has changed since its inception. each change in time, round structures as well as allowed strikes has drastically changed the game. in the old days there was no standups, no or minimal time limits, and you could headbutt, nut shot. there wasnt as huge an emphasis on crosstraining, because a wrestler or JJ guy only needed one takedown to effectively win the fight in most cases.

I think too its a little tough to compare exactly what RIckson is saying to what is happening in the UFC because I think a lot of fighters feel pressure from the UFC (bonuses, longevity, marketability) and from the fans to keep the fight exciting and to the UFC and its audience, exciting by and large means stand up and bang. Weve seen a lot of BJJ guys get beat trying to hang in there and trade shots. Maias performance yesterday was a further testament to this.

BigEyedFish - I think too its a little tough to compare exactly what RIckson is saying to what is happening in the UFC because I think a lot of fighters feel pressure from the UFC (bonuses, longevity, marketability) and from the fans to keep the fight exciting and to the UFC and its audience, exciting by and large means stand up and bang. Weve seen a lot of BJJ guys get beat trying to hang in there and trade shots. Maias performance yesterday was a further testament to this.

thats somewhat correct but not entirely. fighters have to learn much more standup because of the structure of the fights. (multiple short rounds, standups) again, in the old days you could stall out striking by diving for a clinch, butt scooting, shooting, without getting into a ton of exchanges. many fights in the old days were clinch struggles where a JJ guy fought hard for the takedown without giving a striker many opportunities to effectively strike. takedowns defined the fight because nobody was going to get stood up and there were no round stoppages. a JJ guy has to learn some level of striking these days because the one takedown isnt enough in and of itself. even great JJ guys cant get the sub in under 5 minutes and then they find themselves back at square one, standing having to exchange. there can be no doubt that the rules and round structures have favored a more standing approach and in many ways penalized JJ guys and wrestlers.  they have less time to operate on the ground, have to get way more takedowns and do not have some of their most effective strikes available. fights are much more anaerobic as well.

ttt