Rickson Seminar review

This conversation always seems to come back to a discussion of internal martial arts. I'm liking (finally) the inclusion of basic athletic training is being talked about more in BJJ.

Call em crazy, but i don't think what Rickson is teaching is a big secret. He's just put in the study and the hours. Since there seems to be so little of this teaching in BJJ (with it being still so relatively young, especially in an english speaking capacity) I wonder how much could be gained from studying high level athletes in other sports? Soccer, footbal, decatheletes, etc.?

I would guess a lot. It's all just biomechanics, there isn't anything mystical.

I got to go to a Rickson seminar (thanks 12!) - a lot of what Rickson says is things you're probably already doing but he's able to explain why you're doing it and when he shows you how he does it, it starts to make sense. RIckson's mount escape makes sense on so many points because of the approach and what it does to your opponent's base, which leads back to his connectivity.

Honestly, invisible jiu jitsu is probably the best way to explain. When you reach a certain level in BJJ, you're probably doing it in a few positions. The masters do it in all positions unconsciously. RIckson, probably, does it the best from all the positions consciously and can verbalize what he's doing.

just my $.02

Thanks Wutang.

BJJ Bucketlist #1: Attend Rickson seminar or schedule a private when I have enough money

Wutang - I got to go to a Rickson seminar (thanks 12!) - a lot of what Rickson says is things you're probably already doing but he's able to explain why you're doing it and when he shows you how he does it, it starts to make sense. RIckson's mount escape makes sense on so many points because of the approach and what it does to your opponent's base, which leads back to his connectivity.

Honestly, invisible jiu jitsu is probably the best way to explain. When you reach a certain level in BJJ, you're probably doing it in a few positions. The masters do it in all positions unconsciously. RIckson, probably, does it the best from all the positions consciously and can verbalize what he's doing.

just my $.02

This is worded perfectly and describes my thoughts about the seminar to a T. Voted up!

Only thing I would add is that Rickson himself is really inspirational... didn't think I would feel as emotional as I did after taking my picture with him. It is good to have heroes.

He is also a worldclass gentleman and is really passionate about his jiu jitsu and about teaching it.

Hi all,

it was an honour to share a mat with you all. I had the pleasure of being his demo dummy a couple of times over the weekend and then my instructor and I had a looong chat with him in the changing room upstairs.

Here's a first post from the seminar:

http://parttimegrappler.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/training-with-rickson-gracie-warrior.html

I hope you enjoy it.

All the best

Liam

part time grappler - Hi all,

it was an honour to share a mat with you all. I had the pleasure of being his demo dummy a couple of times over the weekend and then my instructor and I had a looong chat with him in the changing room upstairs.

Here's a first post from the seminar:

http://parttimegrappler.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/training-with-rickson-gracie-warrior.html

I hope you enjoy it.

All the best

Liam

Hi Liam,

I was there and I echo what you said. I emailed you (can't wait for your reply). I travelled in from Northern Ireland and it was totally worth it a pleasure to see and train with a true legend of the sport.

BigH (aka Mark).

Wutang - I got to go to a Rickson seminar (thanks 12!) - a lot of what Rickson says is things you're probably already doing but he's able to explain why you're doing it and when he shows you how he does it, it starts to make sense. RIckson's mount escape makes sense on so many points because of the approach and what it does to your opponent's base, which leads back to his connectivity.

just my $.02

thats what i was talking with javi about wu,new buzz word and great explanation.+ when rickson says your doing it wrong you listen without ?but is it really wrong?

12 - 

just my $.02

thats what i was talking with javi about wu,new buzz word and great explanation.+ when rickson says your doing it wrong you listen without ?but is it really wrong?

I don't think anything is every really "wrong" in BJJ. Every time you move, you create an opening for your opponent. That movement might not be as effective or efficient but it's not wrong because it works sometimes against some people. I think Rickson's "connectivity" is about forcing your opponent to carry you weight in some aspect while you're moving/escaping/attacking.

Did he also speak of connection with regards to the other persons center or simply relative to the ground? Aikido has a lot of discussion in this regard (hara), but the physical expression of it limited by the general lack of newaza.

As mentioned, the basic approach serves as a great foundation from which techniques manifest. Although many mention the ideal is to flow with an empty mind if you must think, keeping thoughts simple is preferred.

Did he ever address flowing as related to connection? Ie in the bottom game, creating the connection in a frame and the collapsing it to create a hole and such. Not sure if this is too esoteric but I've been intrigued about this since I read it long ago.

Thanks for sharing the experience Phone Post

Nice review zero1.

I feel shitty now, couldnt go because of an injury!

krept - 

Did he also speak of connection with regards to the other persons center or simply relative to the ground? Aikido has a lot of discussion in this regard (hara), but the physical expression of it limited by the general lack of newaza.

As mentioned, the basic approach serves as a great foundation from which techniques manifest. Although many mention the ideal is to flow with an empty mind if you must think, keeping thoughts simple is preferred.

Did he ever address flowing as related to connection? Ie in the bottom game, creating the connection in a frame and the collapsing it to create a hole and such. Not sure if this is too esoteric but I've been intrigued about this since I read it long ago.

Thanks for sharing the experience Phone Post

His connection principle is not restricted to connection to the ground.

In the seminar, from what I got from it, it was used interchangeably for 2 different scenarios:

- connection from the ground all the way to the opponent, to create a) base and b) a frame. This was the most frequent principle in my view. As an example. it was very evident on Day 1 when he discussed engaging the grips while standing. You want to immediately have a firm connection to the opponent and  through a rigid frame and good base a connection to the ground, from which you can then move the opponent.

- connection to the opponent himself. E.g. in climbing the back or in some escapes, the most important point is to have that connection and then not loose it and use it.

The second principle is of course just a variation of the first. There is no leverage ever, without some sort of connection to the ground, be it direct or indirect through your opponent's body.  The difference is that the emphasis is different in what he wanted you to think about from case 1 to case 2.

It really got me thinking about so many obvious things, mainly just how much the use of the leverage against the ground (not just the opponent) is the key really. Very evident in the way Rickson moved himself, instead of the opponent many times when escaping.

I have always been a vivid defender of the importance of learning how to do all the funny jiu jitsu moves on the ground and always saw the benefits of things like Yoga, animal drills, Ginastica natural, etc. I always thought the little things, like how you angle your foot when yoyu post, how and when to use your toes, had to important.

Now I am certain of it, because seeing Rickson move, you immediately recognize that his incredible speed (at age 53) comes from efficiency of movement more than from the movement speed itself. He also emphasized this verbally and thinks it is a great benefit to spend much time on proper movement development.

Hope this makes some sense for you.

Regarding your last point, yes, the concept you described is evident in his style, although I wouldn't call it flowing, as flowing is used in a different context in jiu jitsu.

But what you said relates to the back and forth of jiu jitsu in my opinion.

If you have a good connection and occupy the sweet spot (e.g. a strong side clinch standing), depending on your opponents reaction you break his balance going forward or backward.

Or as the Judo saying goes: "You push, I pull - you pull, I push. Either way you are going down.

This idea, howver does not always apply, I think. especially on the ground, you often times cannot redirect for immediate gain, but must redirect to get to a better position for attack or escape.

BenJay, thanks for the detailed response, one of the best I have read on the subject. I know at some point, as they say... it's time to stop cutting bait and fish... but such explanations go a long way during down time due to injury.

As a physicist and little guy, this makes me very enthusiastic to hear this.

my instructor used the concept of connection in class over the weekend and, after reading this thread, this concept smacked me in the face (that AHA! moment) in a way that it never had before

Thanks a lot for the review and stories, great thread!

Great read. Thanks guys!

In the year since this thread came out, how has your application and understanding of connection improved? Do you still use the concepts from the seminar? 

Trichoke7 -

In the year since this thread came out, how has your application and understanding of connection improved? Do you still use the concepts from the seminar? 

I do. I'd say some of the stuff he teach is not applicable to MMA such as playing guard with a standing opponent. Everything else, I have used with success. The concept of connection and pressure, as well as the specific techniques. Phone Post

I have been to 2 Rickson seminars now and they were both great.
I took a lot of things away from them, mainly just how much of a boss Rickson is. He had 130 guys just hanging off every word lol!
I think Rickson is just such a mountain of information.
I think this is the reason why he has decided to start sharing some of this information at seminars, so it doesn't die with him.
Rickson said he does not train hard these days and he is now a teacher only. He also said he is still learning all the time and that Kron had just changed his opinion on the hand positioning of the guillotine.

Might be of interest, guys:

http://www.slideyfoot.com/2013/11/03112013-rickson-gracie-seminar.html