Rigan Machado 365-0 career record?!?!?

...according to Men's Fitness magazine. They did a cover story with Ashton Kutcher and highlighted his BJJ instructor, Rigan, and listed him as having a career record of 365-0.

This stuff still gets passed off as real?!?!?

I don't know about that but he did have a crazy record for the most matches in a single tournament. He had like 16 or 18 matches in one day. They would call his name for a match while he was on another mat in the middle of a match that was still going on. Old school story but that's a shit load of matches in a single day. Phone Post 3.0

Rigan lost to Rickson twice, one of the matches is on youtube

graciesrule - Rigan lost to Rickson twice, one of the matches is on youtube
That was training footage I don't think they did any competition against each other before Phone Post 3.0

He lost in ADCC so he can't be 360 and 0....I think they were probably thinking he was Rickson when they made that record up. Phone Post 3.0

It'll be 366 if you keep talkin shit.

Rigan did any abu dabi? I thought it was only jean jacques. Phone Post

KidPittsburgh - It'll be 366 if you keep talkin shit.
Lol Phone Post 3.0

slick_mcfavorite - Rigan did any abu dabi? I thought it was only jean jacques. Phone Post
He got bronze medal one year in heavyweight division. Phone Post 3.0

slick_mcfavorite - Rigan did any abu dabi? I thought it was only jean jacques. Phone Post

Looking at the ADCC website.

Rigan competed in 1999 took 4th. Losing to Jeff Monson(Champion that year) and then to Richardo Almeida(Was that a legit match?)
2000 took bronze losing to Mark Kerr
2001 lost to Jon Olav Einemo
2003 Lost to Roger Gracie(I think he threw this match)

GI-
In brazil, I think his only loses were to Rickson twice.
In the US i'm not sure.

I'm not sure where the 365-0 number comes from as he has documented loses in gi/nogi but Rigan is very legit. The only thing i can think of is those are matches that only happened in his weight or the Rickson matches were super fights and he doesn't include super fights.

A focused Rigan could have been one of the greatest in the sport ever imo.

JoeyHustle - 
graciesrule - Rigan lost to Rickson twice, one of the matches is on youtube
That was training footage I don't think they did any competition against each other before Phone Post 3.0

It's been a long time since I saw those matches but at least one appeared to be in a large gym with a crowd - it appeared to be a competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t072yakg_kY

PrisonMattressPuncher - Only one of the Rickson matches is said to exist on video and it is GRAINY. Sucks. Yup, rickson submitted him twice.

But as far as I know, Rigan was NEVER SUBMITTED in competition. He was that scary good. He would've mauled Rickson in Vale Tudo.
And Rigan competed a LOT, and wasn't afraid to enter tournmanets with Sambo rules, etc.
How do you figure he beats Rickson in vale tudo? I don't know much about Riga though. Phone Post 3.0

PrisonMattressPuncher - ^^
Much bigger, stronger, and 95% as talented. He would just hold him down as smash him. He has even said that himself, in a respectful way, of course.

Some have said, that if his last name was actually "Gracie" he would have been the champion of the family, or at least top 2.

Yes... My professor has told me that if it wasn' t for Rickson, Rigan would've been the top bjj in his prime...Also yes on the Sambo, etc. Rigan told me himself that he did Sambo for something like 13 years.

I do believe that Rigan has a points loss to Ze Mario Esfiha in BJJ as well  

Esfiha also beat Rigan Phone Post

BigEyedFish -

I do believe that Rigan has a points loss to Ze Mario Esfiha in BJJ as well  

Sorry. Double posted your info. Phone Post

absolutely. its all true. he even has a gym in hollywood, the dude is so boss.

Heard from some respectable professors he was at one point up there with Rolles and Rickson as one of the greatest. The 365-0 record I am assuming is a miseducated writer for a magazine. Phone Post 3.0

The other loss to rickson that Isnt the one we've all seen on video was by cross choke from ricksons guard. Memory may be off but Jon Olav einemo was still a blue belt when he submitted rigan in adcc. Rigan claimed a rib injury I think. Everybody who knows rigan says he was always lazy about training and staying in shape.

Rigan was tapped by Rickson, only during the 1st time they squared off, but the 2nd time, Rigan lost due to exhaustion (I guess that's a tap ?). Rickson could not finish him, which is very impressive, when you consider that black belts like Paulo Filho said Rickson just played with him.

I think it was JJ who said Rigan was the best grappler in the world....... for the first 2 minutes.

Joe Rogan spoke recently on JRE about one ADCC that Rigan enter, he did not train at all for it, and just showed up. Joe was in his corner, and he would get Joe to tell him when so many minutes were left, so he knew when to use his energy. His conditioning was that bad.