Rigan Machado creates celebrity jiu jitsu

http://www.bjjee.com/articles/rigan-machado-designs-jiu-jitsu-system-without-sparring-for-celebrities/

Didn't really know how to title the thread, it's his celebrity bjj program, no real sparring I guess

Whut?

15 years ago jiu-jitsu was cool. Now we got guys scissoring each other, federations ripping people off, online blue belts and now this?

One day I hope to be a junior online celebrity midnight blue belt

I fear a possible-- completely bloodless-- feud between Ryron's new Beverly Hills celebrity oriented academy and Rigan's new academy.

Mean tweet drive-bys from the backs of Bentleys will be commonplace.

--The Hills are gonna be a war zone!

This is such bullshit. What differentiates jiu jitsu (and judo) is that you can train 100% with minimal injuries. Without live rolling then jiu jitsu is no different than a traditional martial art. Rolling takes away the illusion of what you know/ what you can do/ can't do. The excuse is that celebrities can't risk getting hurt, why can't these people get hurt? Celebrities live a pampered life they can still do their jobs with injuries if necessary. I train with cops and health care professionals I think them being injured is more of a concern and no one complains or avoids rolling.

Michael Piekarski - 

This is such bullshit. What differentiates jiu jitsu (and judo) is that you can train 100% with minimal injuries. Without live rolling then jiu jitsu is no different than a traditional martial art. Rolling takes away the illusion of what you know/ what you can do/ can't do. The excuse is that celebrities can't risk getting hurt, why can't these people get hurt? Celebrities live a pampered life they can still do their jobs with injuries if necessary. I train with cops and health care professionals I think them being injured is more of a concern and no one complains or avoids rolling.

While I agree with what you are saying, I think the celebrities would be concerned about cosmetic injuries. A cop can come into work with some bruises on his face, but it will cause problems for an actor. I don't really like the idea, but I also understand it. Rigan is appealing to a client base and the celebrities are showing interest/getting limited training.

At the same time, I think that a specific curriculum may not be necessary. There are plenty of people Ive met that always drill, ask to slow train when we roll, etc because of age, fitness, job, etc. The idea that celebrities need to be given special training rubs me the wrong way even if I understand it.

Barry Soetoro Jr - Whut?

15 years ago jiu-jitsu was cool. Now we got guys scissoring each other, federations ripping people off, online blue belts and now this?
Don't forget Carlos' approval of klay pittman's prepubescent 7th degree black belts...

It looks like the machados have decided its time to get theirs. Everyone needs to get paid... Phone Post 3.0

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this how Helio originally ran his academy? He would give half hour privates with no live training and most of what he taught was from the self defense curriculum (very similar to katas).

I could be wrong but this has been done for famous clients for a while. I think the Valente's have these options as well for their political clientele who can't spar.

I don't find this to be a huge deal. This is for specific students who have specific needs and doesn't, so far, affect the general bjj public. Phone Post 3.0

How does this affect anyone? What is the program like? What is it's purpose? Expected outcome? Before slagging anything, get informed information first.

My only hope is that when one of these soft-ass celebrities gets interviewed and they say "well, I do jiu-jitsu", that the interviewer will hit them with a crisp "No, you do not."

Man, what an ironic picture of Vin Diesel here:
http://www.bjjee.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/vin-668x466.jpg

"I train Jitz bro. No rolling though, that's for meat-heads. Rigan tells me I'm just as tough, don't need it!"

The Machados have jumped the shark. The only one still full of integrity I Jean Jaques Phone Post 3.0

These guys are Masters( Machado's) or Grandmaster (Rorion) , they can do what they want if you don't like it don't train with them. One thing that Bjj lost along the boat ride from Japan to Brazil to America is respect and honor for the hierarchy of the system, this includes many Black belt holders as well.

graciesrule - These guys are Masters( Machado's) or Grandmaster (Rorion) , they can do what they want if you don't like it don't train with them. One thing that Bjj lost along the boat ride from Japan to Brazil to America is respect and honor for the hierarchy of the system, this includes many Black belt holders as well.

Well, if YOU respected the hierarchy you'd keep silent and wouldn't openly criticize the black belts posting on this thread --or anywhere on this forum.

My god the hierarchical disrespect of it all!!!

Josh Mancuso - The Machados have jumped the shark. The only one still full of integrity I Jean Jaques Phone Post 3.0

Kinda hard to avoid that impression.

shen - 
graciesrule - These guys are Masters( Machado's) or Grandmaster (Rorion) , they can do what they want if you don't like it don't train with them. One thing that Bjj lost along the boat ride from Japan to Brazil to America is respect and honor for the hierarchy of the system, this includes many Black belt holders as well.

Well, if YOU respected the hierarchy you'd keep silent and wouldn't openly criticize the black belts posting on this thread --or anywhere on this forum.

Sorry Grandmaster Shen I'm only a lowly 7 th degree junior Black belt, lol

shen - 

pwned

graciesrule - These guys are Masters( Machado's) or Grandmaster (Rorion) , they can do what they want if you don't like it don't train with them. One thing that Bjj lost along the boat ride from Japan to Brazil to America is respect and honor for the hierarchy of the system, this includes many Black belt holders as well.
People deserve respect through their actions and behaviors. Systems and hierarchies are nothing more than forms of control and dominance. They allow leadership to behave however they want and discourage questioning of actions that may be beneficial to leadership.

As an example , Steve jobs may have been a visionary and creator but as a human being he was an asshole and certainly not above criticism. Now, we are talking about a couple of guys who happen to have been jacket wrestling longer than most and that's about it. What makes them paragons of virtue that keeps us from questioning their motives and behaviors? Any one who read the book Choke knows that the story of the development of bjj is pretty fucking far from being either honorable or above reproach.

Just because you good at doing something like bjj doesn't mean you're worthy of deference or respect. You are just good doing bjj... Phone Post 3.0

Horus2001 - 
graciesrule - These guys are Masters( Machado's) or Grandmaster (Rorion) , they can do what they want if you don't like it don't train with them. One thing that Bjj lost along the boat ride from Japan to Brazil to America is respect and honor for the hierarchy of the system, this includes many Black belt holders as well.
People deserve respect through their actions and behaviors. Systems and hierarchies are nothing more than forms of control and dominance. They allow leadership to behave however they want and discourage questioning of actions that may be beneficial to leadership.

As an example , Steve jobs may have been a visionary and creator but as a human being he was an asshole and certainly not above criticism. Now, we are talking about a couple of guys who happen to have been jacket wrestling longer than most and that's about it. What makes them paragons of virtue that keeps us from questioning their motives and behaviors? Any one who read the book Choke knows that the story of the development of bjj is pretty fucking far from being either honorable or above reproach.

Just because you good at doing something like bjj doesn't mean you're worthy of deference or respect. You are just good doing bjj... Phone Post 3.0

..so you are saying they are "just people" ? How dare...