Rightwing propaganda in the public school system

After activists demanded last year that Mexican American studies be included in Texas’ public school curriculum, the State Board of Education has responded with Mexican-American Heritage, the first textbook on the subject ever up for inclusion in the board’s list of approved books.

A sample of it was posted on the Texas Education Agency’s website earlier this month, and boy is it a piece of work. The excerpt is racist, revisionist and in some parts just blatantly false. That’s scary, because Texas’s textbook choices have a disproportionate influence on school book sales nationwide.

There are so many unsubstantiated claims about Mexican Americans in this book I couldn’t possibly list them all in this column, but I’ll give you a few standout examples.

There’s the assertion that Chicanos, as some Mexican Americans call themselves, are anti-education and anti-English. “Chicano philosophy, which pervades urban Latino areas,” the book says,

often reinforces the idea that rebellion against the establishment is part of the true Mexican identity. High school and college youth may refuse to attend class, speak English or learn certain subjects because they perceive injustice in the school system, sometimes led by well-meaning Latino adults. This hinders prosperity because adequate employment depends on many years of intense study.

This is hilariously off base, since Chicanos are a group of civically engaged Mexican Americans who are literally fighting to have their own curriculum put into schools.

Not to mention, Chicanos are a Mexican-American subgroup, not immigrants. According to US Census Bureau data, US-born Latinos are the main drivers of Hispanic population growth since the year 2000, and their English is often much better than their Spanish. Even among Hispanics (ages five and older) who speak a language other than English at home, 56% report speaking English very well, according to the Pew Research Center.

The book goes on to claim that Chicanos want to destroy western civilization, which is pretty ambitious for a group they claim can’t even get to class. I guess when western civilization only encompasses Anglo Americans, it’s not such a big job.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/31/texas-textbook-mexican-american-heritage-public-schools-us-history

AKA History books.

thats a lot of assertions about a text book from one quote

"“Chicano philosophy, which pervades urban Latino areas,” the book says,"

Dude, it's fucking Texas. I don't know if this is a troll or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

OP sucks cock by choice- Swegen Phone Post 3.0

There is more to the article, I just posted the leader.

"Then there’s the section in Mexican-American Heritage that says claims of Anglo-American land grabbing from Mexicans during the late 19th century are largely exaggerated. “Some deeds may have been acquired unscrupulously, but the majority was legally sold,” the book says.

I guess someone better tell Ulysses S Grant who, in his memoirs, wrote that the entire Mexican-American war was a front for acquiring more land that was unopposed to slavery. Not to mention the 187,000 acres of Tejano-owned land that was extorted through state sanction violence by the Texas Rangers, which has been documented by the scholars of the Refusing to Forget project.

All these mischaracterizations are being spearheaded by former Texas state board of education member Cynthia Dunbar, who owns the text’s publishing company, Momentum Instruction. Despite serving on the state board for four years, Dunbar homeschooled her children and wrote a book called One Nation Under God: How the Left Is Trying to Erase What Made Us Great. It calls public education a “subtly deceptive tool of perversion” due to the fact that Christians aren’t allowed to preach religion there."

I am not sure about Texas, but Chicano groups in California frequently talk about making the state part of Mexico again, via immigration, population growth, and refusing to integrate. Here, at least, no immigrant needs to learn to read or write English, or to adapt their culture and integrate into an American culture.

<blockquote>pm1964 - <span id='userPost57290145' class='User-91364'>I am not sure about Texas, but Chicano groups in California frequently talk about making the state part of Mexico again, via immigration, population growth, and refusing to integrate. Here, at least, no immigrant needs to learn to read or write English, or to adapt their culture and integrate into an American culture.</span></blockquote><br />

If that is true then why didn't they put that in the textbook instead of making shit up?

Also Chicano's are not immigrants.

What 'Mericans don't get about immigrants is that it has always been pretty common that about 50% of immigrants don't learn English, which is obviously higher in enclaves.

But their children speak English at very high rates and integrate very successfully into American culture.

Oh so now we are now supposed to pretend that the Right wing has hijacked the school system? LOL. boy oh boy.... you libs have double downed on your retardedness..

Fuck mexicans and fuck OP Phone Post 3.0

I went to school with over 6000 students, for which half happened to be Central or South American. Most of my friends were South American and/or Central American.

A lot of them thought Caucasians were privileged and lazy(Some truth). A lot of them thought Whites were of the mindset that their better than everyone(Some truth). Ironically enough they themselves were of the mindset that they were better than everyone else. Even though a lot of them skipped class and couldn't care less about the status quo.

Hypocrisy is humanity, projecting feelings about your self unto others is the beacon for which hate gets its spark. Phone Post 3.0

Feels bad when innocent children are taught a false, politicized version of reality, doesn't it?  Now you know how conservatives feel the other 99.9% of the time.

Lol at the rightwing highjacking the school system.

Tons of stories about the liberal side altering history books. This would be the first time I'd heard of anyone on the right being accused of it. Let's face it the pendulum has swung pretty far left at times to the point of lunacy. It's time for it to swing back at least to somewhere in the realm of common sense as both far sides are absolutely retarded. Phone Post 3.0

Thats texas for ya! Who brought us pols like gwb, rick perry and louie golmert Phone Post 3.0

Glovegate -

Feels bad when innocent children are taught a false, politicized version of reality, doesn't it?  Now you know how conservatives feel the other 99.9% of the time.

LOL! This all damn day! Phone Post 3.0

Mit - Lol at the rightwing highjacking the school system.

Tons of stories about the liberal side altering history books. This would be the first time I'd heard of anyone on the right being accused of it. Let's face it the pendulum has swung pretty far left at times to the point of lunacy. It's time for it to swing back at least to somewhere in the realm of common sense as both far sides are absolutely retarded. Phone Post 3.0

Most recent textbook controversies have been in regards to conservative school boards in states like Texas and Kansas. They've been trying to stuff all sorts of crazy shit in to textbooks over the last 10-20 years. Intelligent design, downplaying slavery, downplaying separation of church and state, etc.

Texas in particular is a problem because it's such a big state that their textbook orders can affect the entire educational publishing industry.

Let me get this straight. You're bitching about a text book in Texas being "right wing" when basically all of academia is run and formatted by the far left. Ok you fuckin idiot troll Phone Post 3.0

Sounds like the right book for California. Lol I kid.. but really Phone Post 3.0

Tomato Can -
Mit - Lol at the rightwing highjacking the school system.

Most recent textbook controversies have been in regards to conservative school boards in states like Texas and Kansas. They've been trying to stuff all sorts of crazy shit in to textbooks over the last 10-20 years. Intelligent design, downplaying slavery, downplaying separation of church and state, etc.

Texas in particular is a problem because it's such a big state that their textbook orders can affect the entire educational publishing industry.
Saying those things were "right wing" is limited, as you know it's religion that pushes those. It's your prerogative if you want to paint all conservatives as religious nuts however. Phone Post 3.0