Ringworm questions

I have a few questions about ringworm:

1. How long does it "last" on inanimate objects? Like a cold virus can last up to 8 hours on a phone or door knob.
  2. I have heard of some people getting it in their upper arms, back and chest. How is this possible? Those parts are covered by their shirt.
  3. Wouldnt taking a shower with soap prevent/kill the germs? In that case, why would people have it, I assume 99% of people go home after class and take a shower.

Found out last night that some dude in a tank top had ringworm on both his elbows, nobody noticed it until after class, and the instructor looked and confirmed that it was ringworm. I didnt roll with him, but I rolled with people who rolled with him last night.

So I took a very hot shower with lots of soap last night.

Its no big deal IMO. It itches and can be a bit ugly (like acne), but it isnt anything serious. I dont know the answers to your question, but I wouldnt worry too much about your rolling last night.

Yeah--it's really more of an annoyance more then anything.  We had an outbreak in our academy about a year ago and I have found out the hard way that I am particullary vulnerable to the infection.  I use Tinactin but sometimes-- I will just put bleach on the rash.  I burns--but it works!

http://www.dhpe.org/infect/ringworm.html

http://kidshealth.org/teen/infections/fungal/ringworm.html

Im just curious as to how people get it.

I have heard of people getting it on their torso, which is covered by their shirts.

Also, wouldnt taking a shower with soap kills the germs? So how would they get the infection in the first place?

After class, I assume everyone showers, so that should kill the surface germs before they get a chance to "take hold"

"or you are grabbing your partners ringworm with out knowing it, then scratch your balls heheheh. "

You mean if I touch the ringworm, then touch my back, I could get it on my back?

"Also, wouldnt taking a shower with soap kills the germs? So how would they get the infection in the first place?"

>>"taking a shower would not kill the worm,"

No, I meant killing the surface germ (before you get infected).

It just seems weird that anyone would get it, I know I sweat a lot during class, and I cant wait to take a shower.

I ASSUME most people are like this, so everyone will take a shower. Wouldnt the shower be enough to kill the germ?
Again, I do not mean when you have an infection already...I mean the night after class after you have touched ringworm

I humbly disagree that ringworm isn't serious: try explaining to a mother why you've infected her and her two year old child with something called ringworm.

Also, once ringworm gets settled in at a club it can take years to get rid of it. I have seen many good grapplers leave ringworm-infested clubs to go train somewhere clean, so you are cutting down on your pool of training partners.

Nizoral shampoo is superior to Selsum Blue as a body wash

Lots more info here: www.grapplearts.com/Ringworm-Treatment-for-Grapplers.htm

Stephen, I definitely agree with your post. I just meant that if you get it, you shouldnt worry about it too much because it is self-limiting and not too much of an annoyance. For a school owner or a child, it is a different story.

stephan kesting is correct. check out his article for sure, it is a must read.
it should be printed off and posted in any grappling area.

I gave my three week old son ringworm.  His pediatrician said it was the youngest case she's ever scene.  And--no big deal-used Tinactin--gone in 2 weeks.

Im just curious as to how someone actually gets it.

Like I said, I have heard it being on someone's back, where its covered by a shirt.

and after class, dont you go home and take a shower?

Wouldnt the hot water and soap kill any germs on your body, so there wouldnt be time for the infection to start?

Yup--but sometimes it's too late for the shower.  It's a very common fungus that is found almost anywhere on the ground.  It's super easy to pick up and highly contagious.  That's how you get it--by coming in contact with it.

Hot water and soap DO NOT KILL every microbe on your body.

ttt

I agree with Jagg- I've use this remedy for ringworm:

"take a shower with selsum blue once a week (it will dry your skin if you use it everyday)and put lamisil on the infected area for 2 weeks...refrain from rolling while infected, you will just spread the worm to everybody in the class."

I'm going to try the selsom blue.  Didn't know about that-thanks.

If you think that 99% of the people leave the gym and take showers, you are sadly mistakin.

I can't stand the dirty bastards in the gym. We used to have a shower in our academy and I think I was the only one who used it! Never got ringworm.

Plus most people live over 1/2 hr away from thier training place, and that is plenty of time for ring worm to enter your skin, even if you do go home and shower.

Andre - OK, I think we're in agreement! I guess this also means that we shouln't mention the recent studies linking recurrent ringworm infection with impotence and male pattern baldness.

go to a health food store and buy Tee Tree body wash. That works the bomb.

go to a health food store and buy Tee Tree body wash. That works the bomb.

Heard Tee Tree Body Wash works the bomb

"If you think that 99% of the people leave the gym and take showers, you are sadly mistakin. "

You cant be serious. You mean there are people who dont shower after BJJ?

"Plus most people live over 1/2 hr away from thier training place, and that is plenty of time for ring worm to enter your skin, even if you do go home and shower. "

Ahhh...now this is the info I was looking for.

What is the window of time to wash it off?