Ringworm questions

"Nizoral shampoo is superior to Selsum Blue as a body wash"

really? After wrestling practice we had to shower with Selsum blue after each practice...colder up here in Canada so I didn't get ring worm, but one guy did...

why is Nizoral better?

I'd hate to get it in truth, I have a 2 month old baby, and the last thing I want to do is make her itchy...

Nizoral was recomended to me by a dermatologist, who said that it was much better than Selsum Blue for the purpose of ringworm eradication. I try to use it at least once a week for prophylactic purposes.

My dermatologist told me to bath with Nizoral also. Sometimes you can do all you can and you still get that little basterd!! ;)

well, I am sure they shower eventually, but there are plenty of guys that I have seen, come and roll for the day class, put thier suit and tie back on and go back to work.

A few pointers on ringworm (I moonlight as a doctor when not doing jits)

ringworm (tinea corporis):

This usually begins in body folds such as the groin or axillae and presents as small, scaly, itchy, red circular patches which gradually become confluent and persist for a few weeks.

Tinea of the body usually clears with an "azole" cream for an infection. it is best to use clotrimazole cream applied twice daily for four weeks. An alternative is terbinafine cream used for one week.

Sometimes doctors give an azole with a steroid cream although there isn't really any evidence this works much better.

Nizoral is a a type of azole hence it works quite well.

Extensive skin infections may require oral therapies. These can have fairly nasty side effects so it is a good idea to see your gp before applying these

There is no scientific evidence I could find that tee tree oil does much good . If you find it helpful fair enough: it is unlikely to do much harm unless you have any skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis.

There IS some evidence that regular use of an azole can be used to PREVENT ringworm (a french study of over 100 judo players, so it is fairly applicable to BJJ)

"Wouldnt the hot water and soap kill any germs on your body, so there wouldnt be time for the infection to start?'

Fungus likes warm and wet.

Another tip: Once i nuke the worm with whatever cream / fungus I cover it with some stuff i have called "Skin Shield". It is basically a tough liquid bandaid.

I have noticed it stops the itching and also smothers the worm as no air can get in. Whenever I do this the worm never gets worse once I cover it with the liquid bandaid.

I have heard people putting clear nail polish on worm to accomplish the same thing.

I notice that no one has mentioned bleach. I have used a diluted solution of bleach multiple times w/instant results...That is, after one application all signs of the ringworm infection cleared up and did not return. It has been a long time so I don't know the exact ratio of the dilution...I'm sure it's on the internet somewhere. I doubt however that you'd find many docs that would agree with this advice. Bleach is a harsh chemical...But not so harsh that it is not a haz-mat team standard practice to use bleach solution to clense the skin after exposure.

Go to the first page.  Bleach is mentioned.

Yeah-- I wish that worked for me.  I keep getting it!  And yes, I am  showering!  I'm getting the Nizoral tonight.

"People with the highest risk for catching ringworm from their pet are young children who have never been exposed, the elderly, or people with a depressed immune system," comments Dr. Angus. Once humans have been exposed to a strain of ringworm, most people develop immunity and rarely get the same strain again."

• Thats for the average person. Tell that doctor to go to BJJ or wrestling class and roll with someone who has the damn thing>.. LOL @ rarely get the same strain again!!!!

www.defensesoap.com

mtrl