MMA Underground Forums

RIO de JANEIRO to host 2016 Olympic Games

Good for Rio,congrats Brazil!

I was hoping they'd win. I mean, Chicago.. that's cool..but it's finally South America's turn to have the honor of hosting the games. Hopefully theres no big rise in crime/violence.

Bigger upset than Serra over St. Pierre

Going to be an insane couple years in Brazil. World Cup in 2014 and then the Olympics in 2016.

LMFAO at the Brazilian committee celebrating like they won the lottery... because they did. Every single person involved will become immeasurably rich. You heard it here first. Brazil is already one of the most highly taxed countries in the world. Don't even get me started on how this is going to be paid for, by whom and for how long. Not to mention the creative invoicing practices this generates and all the R$100 notebooks they will need and R$20,000 toilet seat covers, etc... Goodness.

But wait, let's not shift the focus away from hot girls in bikinis. That would be wrong...

As of 1992, demonstration sports are no longer allowed at the Olympics.

MarsMan -  Big loss for Rio citizens as the state and city have no money to pay for all that needs to be done.

The federal government is going to pay for part of the bill, but in the end, those who are most benefited are the big construction companies, TV networks and corrupt government officials.

Well...at least I'll be sent there to work

The truth hurts badly. There was a head on that nail but you hit it so hard it flew off...

I know it sounds like negativity but people just don't understand the situation for the most part. MarsMan summed it up though.

jaseprobst - I'm thinking those recent fatal beatings in Chicago didn't help.[/quote

isn't kidnapping the second biggest sport in Rio? and the slums are much worse than Chicago. Maybe they will make bjj and kidnapping americans for ransom an exibition sport like they did that gay ribbon dancin crap that one time.

ah the summer games in the winter of Rio....i cant wait! 

i can already hear Bob Costas and his long winded rants about how beautiful it is 'here' in the olympic stadium on this warm summer rio evening'  lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

I wonder if they will have brazillion cheerleaders during the volleyball games

kneeblock...this is taken from a post i made on another thread....

the olympics does not always put a city in debt.....in the united states case....Salt lake city, LA, and Atlanta had HUGE surplus in their estimated funds needed and the games made money for the cities.

Atlanta still uses many of their facilities that were constructed specifically for the games.  (they gave them to colleges and universities in the city.)

it can be done right, but we dont always see that as the games has put many cities into debt. either way the summer games will enjoy the winter in Rio and im sure the games will be good.