RIP Bert Randolph Sugar

Bert Randolph Sugar, the legendary boxing writer and historian, and one of the sport's most iconic characters, died Sunday afternoon in Chappaqua, N.Y., after a long battle with lung cancer.

Sugar was 74. He was surrounded by family at Northern Westchester Medical Center in Mount Kisco.

With his fedora and ever-present cigar, Sugar was an icon who loved to talk, and he could talk and write about boxing like few others. Few were better ambassadors of the sport than Sugar.

Sugar wrote more than 80 books, and was present at many of the greatest fights in boxing history, including the Ali-Frazier trilogy. He wrote about those fights in a special Muhammad Ali edition for USA TODAY two years ago.

He was best known as the editor and publisher of Boxing Illustrated and Ring magazine.

Sugar was not very fond of today's style of journalism, and in a 2010 interview with BigThink.com, he said, "Sports writing is almost an extinct species, or soon to be. Point being, they're writing for blogs and they don't have a discipline.

"Once they state a subject, they can go on. There's no space restraint. And they're writing quickly, so there's no time for thought and cerebral thinking on an article, they're just banging away."

One of Sugar's favorite lines was, whenever he was asked to give his prediction of a fight, inevitably picked the underdog, then added, "but then again, I picked the Japanese in World War II."

RIP Phone Post

Damn, terrible news. RIP

RIP loved hearing his insight on fights and different boxers Phone Post

RIP, thanks for this thread kirik

What a loss. RIP.

The hat, the cigar, the longtime boxing knowledge and link to boxings past

RIP

RIP Phone Post

RIP

RIP

RIP

My sympathy is with his family but assuming they're not reading this I thought his act was tired and boring. He would accuse others of dumbing things down all the while relying on the same monotonous gimmicks and catch phrases.

Typical old timer that everyone is too afraid to call out on their bullshit for fear of him playing the "I've seen more fights than you" card.

He didn't like MMA, who cares. He was a traditionalist, but to say he doesn't deserve respect means you have no concept of talented journalism and boxing commentary. Phone Post

mmabbn - Wasn't that the same man that said MMA was just a bar fight and has no athletes? I believe it is. So why on a mma forum do we care about this man?. He gave more respect to pro wrestling. Just because you die doesn't mean you should be respected.

So because he didnt agree with you on one certain issue, hes not to be respected here????

And its not even an important issue like the death penalty or wolrd wide poverty you are taking offense to.

Its a sport!

The man witnessed fights we could only dream about seeing.

He was a fantastic writer and a great personality and should be remembered and respected as such even if he didnt agree that MMA was a vaild sport!

RIP

The man knew boxing and was a great journalist

MMABBN & Subwhateverthehell,

you are both fucksticks get your negative asses the fuck off this thread then, ya trollin sum bitches.

Rip Sugar great journalist and sports writer. I religiously used to read Ring mag as a kid. The stories of Tunney, Dempsey and Langford used to excite me. Im sure part of the reason why I chose my career path were influences like Burt. Sure he hated MMA it was because he never understood it. God Bless you Burt have a drink with Joe Louis and all the greats.
Bobby Razak Phone Post

mmabbn - Wasn't that the same man that said MMA was just a bar fight and has no athletes? I believe it is. So why on a mma forum do we care about this man?. He gave more respect to pro wrestling. Just because you die doesn't mean you should be respected.

you're vote has been cast.

Rip Phone Post

Joe Frazier looked down on MMA too. Thought it was dirty.

These guys loved fighting, and were towering talents. I have been reading Burt Randolph Sugar since probably 1971 or 72.

MMA came around too late for them to appreciate it. So what.