RIP Carlson Gracie Sr. : 7 Years

Great video.

I was fortunate to have trained under Carlson for four years in Chicago. He simply was a great teacher and friend. We were all so sad when he passed. Greatest person I ever knew. Greatest Gracie ever.

RIP my teacher and dear friend.

Who made that video? They captured Carlson so well.

It was great to see Colin, Rudy, Jay, Jeff, Junior and the others share their thoughts on Carlson.

You can see their love and respect for him and also their sense of loss with his passing.

I think Jay nailed it when he said that Carlson was there coaching you, somehow your jiu jitsu raised ro a higher level. Carlson had real confidence in his bjj and his students and it helped us have confidence in ourselves. Almost as if with Carlson supporting us, we could beat anyone.

Glad we can talk about a real master of bjj! RIP!

TTT

matt murdock - Any idea when part 2 might come out? This vid brought back fond memories for me.

We should have the next part in the next 1-2 weeks. We had so much great footage from everyone that gave their time for the project, that we decided last minute to do more than one part  , it would be a shame not to.  I hope this made it worth it for everyone involved. 

Great interviews by everyone involved. Carlson's Chicago students were very fortunate to have him so involved in their teaching by even demonstrating the techniques on a regular basis. Carlson could have a very intimidating presence, but once you got to know him you learned how to joke around with him and not be so moved by his criticism and requests.

up

ttt

He son was living there since the mid or late 90's.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Jeff Neal (featured in the vid) brought JR to Chicago. I'm not sure how they linked up, but Jeff had been in the martial arts scene for a long time and is, I think, responsible for bring Carlson(s) to the city.

Great video! Phone Post

And I thought he only ate at Chipotle when he came to L.A.
--How little I knew!

Here's a pic of Carlson Sr. when he reffed professional soccer in Brazil. Doubt anyone flopped in those games.

Thats Carlos taking baby Carlson Sr. for a walk. Junior has a ton of cool photos.

ttt

matt murdock - Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Jeff Neal (featured in the vid) brought JR to Chicago. I'm not sure how they linked up, but Jeff had been in the martial arts scene for a long time and is, I think, responsible for bring Carlson(s) to the city.

In the early 90's Jeff Neal traveled back and forth to California to train with Reylson Gracie and eventually got his blue belt. Around that time he had a school and was teaching BJJ and NHB.

As I understand it, Jeff and some students were at a judo tournament and one of his students (Carlos Rodriguez) ended up getting into a conversation with one of Jr/Sr's students who was coincidentally at the same tournament (Paulo Bezerra). Carlos speaks Portuguese and apparently was wearing a Brazil shirt...that's how the conversation started.

Paulo was then introduced to Jeff and mentioned that Jr had interest in leaving Florida and Jeff suggested he come to Chicago to open an academy with him.

The rest, as they say, is history. Phone Post

Ttt Phone Post

part 2

Woke up this morning and first thing i did was look to see if this was posted. This whole series was truly amazing.

ttt

Fantastic part 2!!!

The Man will NOT be forgotten.