RIP Darren Sutherland

Irish olympic bronze medalist, european gold medalist, and professional boxing hopeful Darren Sutherland was found dead today. This is a huge loss to the Irish boxing community. Darren was a great guy and a great boxer. He was only 27, and had just started his pro-boxing career after a good run in the olympics in 2008. He went 4-0 as a pro, all by KO.

Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam.

RIP.

RIP

Unbelievable. Very sad.

RIP, Warrior.

RIP

Whaaaaat? What the fuck happened? Holy shit he trained at my gym and I spoke to him briefly not that long agowhen I was last in the UK.

RIP

Boxing star found dead by manager

<!-- S BO --><!-- S IIMA -->

Darren Sutherland
Darren Sutherland won a Middleweight bronze medal in Beijing

<!-- E IIMA --><!-- S SF -->

A medal-winning Irish Olympic boxer has been found dead by his manager at his flat in Bromley, south London.

Darren Sutherland, 27, who won a bronze medal at the 2008 Games in Beijing, was discovered by Frank Maloney.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed Sutherland was pronounced dead on Monday afternoon and his death was not being treated as suspicious.

Irish Sports Minister Martin Cullen said: "Ireland has lost a sportsman of wonderful ability."

<!-- E SF -->

He added: "The tremendous effort and determination of this young man brought immense pride to Ireland in Beijing in 2008 when he joined a very select group of men who have won an Olympic medal for Ireland.

"It takes work, effort, desire and dedication to be a champion - qualities Darren had in abundance."

<!-- S IBOX -->

He was an excellent fighter and he was a gentleman outside the ring as well

James DeGale

<!-- E IBOX -->

Sutherland had trained with Brendan Ingle in Sheffield while in his teens, but gave up the sport.

He returned to the ring in 2004 while studying sports science at Dublin City University.

The fighter made his professional debut in Dublin last December, winning with a knockout.

In a statement Mr Maloney said Sutherland's death was very sad and unexpected and a tragedy for Ireland and the world of boxing.

"At this sad time my thoughts are with Darren's family," the promoter added.

British Olympic champion James DeGale, who fought Sutherland in Beijing, said: "He was a brilliant fighter, in fact an excellent fighter, and he was a gentleman outside the ring as well.

"He had a great future and my heart goes out to everyone who knew him."

He was such a talented prospect tailor made for the pros.

What an utter shame

Seano, what gym do you train at? And yeah, Darren was a really likable guy. Tragic to hear this. he had a really bright future ahead of him, certainly european title level, if not world with a bit of work.

RIP

Rest in peace Darren

omfg. Me and my buddy watched his entire run during the last Olympics. He was the most exciting boxer in his division. Man what a loss to boxing.

Apparently he committed suicide? Wtf.

That's what it says on Wikipedia

yeah I remember seeing a program after the olympics on how he had a tough time (as where did he fit in life) before getting there, and finally things had come good for him by getting the medal.

From his tv appearances he struck me as a real nice guy.
I was looking forward to see him make career of it.

This is a total shock. My thoughts are with his family

mmafan342 -  Hung himself....coward way out IMO.

wtf? seriously

mmafan342 -  Hung himself....coward way out IMO.

Was that really appropiate?

Symbolic VTFD since I'm now a mudnamer.

I heard this this morning and just cant believe it.

He was a very talented, very successfull amateur who was already proving quite a draw.

He seemed a happy go lucky guy looking forward to making some waves.

Just goes to show that you can never tell what someone has going through their mind.

RIP Darren.

Sad news!!

RIP!

IrishFighter110 - 
mmafan342 -  Yes seriously, Leaving behind all his friends and family and fans to go through the pain of losing him.Suicide is the coward way out. How could you just take the easy way out leaving all your friends and family and fans in this case to suffer....

Fuck you calling Darren a coward. He was far from it. He represented his country and family both at amateur and professional level.

It was unknown to many but he suffered very very badly from depression. Its difficult for ppl who do not suffer I can imagine to truely realise how bad it can be, especially since alot of ppl suffering take their own life.

Show some fuckin respect.

Correct.

edited see below

RIP Darren, a big loss to Irish boxing. A lad with tons of potential.