RIP Movie Theaters

Trolls World Tour made nearly $100 million without theaters

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/29/21239703/trolls-world-tour-amc-digital-streaming-theaters-nbcuniversal-disney-warnerbros

That's crazy, and the aftermath it's starting. 

Regal Cinemas warns Universal over Trolls World Tour skipping theaters

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/29/21241463/regal-amc-universal-trolls-world-tour-vod-streaming-warner-bros-disney

Regal Entertainment, the world’s second-largest theater chain, joined the fray Wednesday with a lengthy public statement throwing down that same gauntlet. “Today we make it clear again that we will not be showing movies that fail to respect the windows,” it read in part, “as it does not make any economic sense for us.”

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2020/4/29/21241784/troll-world-tour-movie-theaters-amc-pvod

This is starting to sound like Blockbuster. 

Adapt or Die: How Netflix Took Down Blockbuster

1 Like

If these content providers find the right pricing model and reliable way to stream the movies, theater chains as we know them will be gone. 

Been saying it for years. People are willing to pay good money to rent a movie in their homes. Good. I hope theater's burn how they fuck everyone and every family. 100 is peanuts compared to what a family of 4 will pay to see a movie in theaters.

4 Likes

I actually bought that movie for my daughter. 

Well to be fair, they had no competition since theaters were closed.  And with schools out and everyone getting cabin fever it was the perfect environment to generate that kind of profit.  As expensive as it is, there are many who still want the theater experience.  That doesn't mean the theater business will survive though even after a vaccine is found.

2 Likes

I would still like to go to the theatre. Unless you have a $30k+ system in your home, it’s just not the same. 

5 Likes

Soup and Beer - 

Well to be fair, they had no competition since theaters were closed.  And with schools out and everyone getting cabin fever it was the perfect environment to generate that kind of profit.  As expensive as it is, there are many who still want the theater experience.  That doesn't mean the theater business will survive though even after a vaccine is found.

What are ways for theaters to survive? Theaters can't be their own content makers or is it content-makers can't have their own theaters, but the streaming-content model bypasses that.

They may very well be like bookstores. The content will still be produced, but the specific store to sell them may or may not be around.

Copy & paste of a comment I posted on a FB thread about this topic:

----

Problem with this is that it's a best-case scenario of an example - most of the country is locked down, probably near (more than?) a hundred million people are having to stay home, and a good chunk of 'em have small kids driving 'em nuts. So they get the movie to shut 'em up for a little whlie.

I'm not saying it's not indicative of what could be possible moving forward, but you'd have to compare numbers on say the Bad Boys movie, the Vin Diesel sci-fi flick, the Invisible Man, etc to see how possible / legit of a trend this might indicate.

I can only hope. It sucks waiting months for pirated copies of movies. Getting them instantly will be much better.

2 Likes

1 Like

If endgame was to be released simutaniously home and theater. I rather pay $20 to be home watch it than deal with neckbeards and lines. 

Granted i have a decent setup at home, projector/surround sound 

Liyon - 
Soup and Beer - 

What are ways for theaters to survive? Theaters can't be their own content makers or is it content-makers can't have their own theaters, but the streaming-content model bypasses that.

They may very well be like bookstores. The content will still be produced, but the specific store to sell them may or may not be around.

Not an apples-to-apples comparison, as other than wait time (i.e. - buying a book at a store today vs ordering it online and waiting for it to show up), the end experience is the same.

Going to a theater vs watching it at home isn't just about consuming the content - it's the experience the surrounds it.

For some, the experience is better at home because you don't have to go anywhere, you don't have to deal with loud people, etc.

For others, the experience is better at the theater because of the technology.

Pricing is also a huge factor. People are willing (have been conditioned?) to pay more at the theater because they know they're paying for the experience and not just the movie. On the other hand, paying $20 for a temporary rental of a new movie just to watch at home is a bit of a kick to the nuts compared to prices of similar content.

Liyon - 
Soup and Beer - 

They might not survive.  They weren't that profitable before the virus and unless there is a vaccine or the virus completely disappears soon they probably won't make it.  But as I said, there are many who do enjoy the theater experience.   They might end up like the drive in's.  There are a few still around for nostalgic purposes but that's it.

All that being said, people who have no moral obligation to pirating / torrenting love the idea of new movies going directly to streaming / VOD.

Theaters are right. this will kill their business, one way or another. respect the windows. respect the instittution of theaters. 

life is better when you have the option to see a movie in a theater. 

2 Likes

Fuck theatres.  

Admission in Canada is $15-$20 depending on the type of showing (3D, AVX, D-box, etc.).  Snacks average out to about $10-$15 per person.  For my family of four to go watch a movie is usually around $100.  I can go watch 10 movies at the theatre, or I can buy a decent 65 inch tv for $1000 and stay home for the same price.  Hmmmmm.

ufc98newb -

Theaters are right. this will kill their business, one way or another. respect the windows. respect the instittution of theaters. 

life is better when you have the option to see a movie in a theater. 

Exactly as someone that frequents them both the experience is part of it.  We have tons of old movie houses in the US. They are part of our history.

1 Like

Kid Salami -

Fuck theatres.  

Admission in Canada is $15-$20 depending on the type of showing (3D, AVX, D-box, etc.).  Snacks average out to about $10-$15 per person.  For my family of four to go watch a movie is usually around $100.  I can go watch 10 movies at the theatre, or I can buy a decent 65 inch tv for $1000 and stay home for the same price.  Hmmmmm.

I go to 1 movie a year. i have the patience to wait for dvd or on demand. 

but i still want the option to go to the theater that 1x per year

I'm going to start a rent-a-black service so they can make random comments and talk loudly while you watch movies in your living room.

2 Likes

Thinking in another direction, maybe this kills the huge theaters, and leaves the smaller ones behind to clean up? always intersting to watch things evolve in real time. 

I'd prefer things to stay as they are now though.