RIP Ron Lyle

Just heard 70's heavyweight contender Ron Lyle died today. He's best remembered for his war with George Foreman and his loss to Muhammad Ali. He was 70 years old. Phone Post

"DENVER (AP) —Former heavyweight contender Ron Lyle, who fought Muhammad Ali for the title in 1975 and later battled George Foreman, has died in Denver at age 70.

Lyle died Saturday from complications from a sudden stomach ailment, said Ron McKinney, a Salvation Army official in Denver. Details weren’t immediately available.

McKinney, a family friend who hired Lyle to start the charity’s boxing program in 2002, said Lyle retired from the program last December but continued to work out at the gym every day

“I just saw him yesterday (Friday),” McKinney said. “You looked at him and he looked like he was ready to step into the ring. Shake hands with him, and it’s like shaking a piece of steel.”

The gym, called Red Shield Cox-Lyle Boxing, would show replays of Lyle’s fights every Friday night as inspiration for some of the program’s 100 students, McKinney said.

Lyle lost to both Ali and Foreman in the mid-1970s.

After his career in boxing, Lyle lived in Las Vegas where he trained young boxers and worked as a security guard.

He made a brief comeback in 1995 at age 54 and hoped to fight Foreman again in a fight jokingly billed as “Old and Older.” Lyle hoped for a better result than the 1976 match in which he took a beating from Foreman. He also toyed with the idea of fighting Mike Tyson but neither fight materialized."

RIP

his fight with george foreman is1 of my favourite boxing matches

I remember watching him fight Foreman live. Was awesome fight.

RIP

I'd run into him at local shows occassionally. He was always cool to me. A funny (but fucked up) personal memory I have of him... One of my fighters had fought novice at the Golden Gloves maybe 5 years ago. So I was sitting in the stands hanging out with friends and watching fights afterwards.

We saw a disturbance down near the ring. There was a swarm of 4 or 5 smaller dudes, including some bozo in shorts and robes who just finished fighting, fighting one bigger guy. All I could see was arms and fists in motion but the big guy in the middle of the swarm was holding his own.

When the cops and others broke it up, I saw that it was Ron Lyle who had been jumped by the mob. Apparently, the young boxer and his crew had some issue with Ron and they all jumped him. Ron didn't have any visible marks on him and never went down either, despite being outnumbered. He had to be about 65 at the time lol. Tough old bastard.

Damienhls - his fight with george foreman is1 of my favourite boxing matches

RIP

What a bad year. Butch lewis, smoking joe, now lyle... Phone Post

The fight with Foreman is still my all- time favorite fight.

RIP

Megatherium - The fight with Foreman is still my all- time favorite fight.

RIP

+1

RIP.

Sad to hear.

RIP

Sad to see all these great guys from boxing passing away ... As well as mask , shawn tompkins , and I know I left some out ... Rip and thoughts go put to his family ... Hope they make thru this tragedy ... Phone Post

rip

I just heard this, a little late I know. This is a big loss, the guy did a lot for kids in the Denver area. Great fighter, excellent human being.

RIP

RIP

His fight with Foreman was amazing all the knockdowns and back forth drama made it an instant classic. He will always be remembered for that fight and the heart he showed that night. His punching power and strength was insane and not many fighters could go toe to toe with Foreman back in the 70's the way he did. God Bless him for being a great guy as well.

RIP

His fight with Foreman was amazing all the knockdowns and back forth drama made it an instant classic. He will always be remembered for that fight and the heart he showed that night. His punching power and strength was insane and not many fighters could go toe to toe with Foreman back in the 70's the way he did. God Bless him for being a great guy as well.