RJJ KO, why the 10 count?

Watching the fight last night with my girl and her friend, AS SOON as Roy dropped I was screaming at the TV (the ref) WTF are you counting to 10 for!?! Get a god damned doctor into that ring NOW! It was so obvious that he was in really bad shape I can't understand why the referee delayed getting him medical attention, there was no way in hell Jones was getting back up. Is there any word on how he's doing today? That KO was UGLY!

you're absolutely right. dumb, and/or unexperienced ref

do u think the 10 second delay would have mattered?

The punch didn't even look that bad. Apparently everyone was right, he doesn't have a chin. Oh well, he was still the best I've ever seen in his prime.

nypo,

maybe, maybe not, but if Roy had been seriously injured or even gone into a coma I think that ref would have had a lot to answer for.

RJJ was and still is pretty damn good. I'd like to see him start promoting fights now though.

Ref was probably in shock after watching that unfold before him.

"The punch didn't even look that bad. Apparently everyone was right, he doesn't have a chin."

In this fight he didn't get hit on the chin...he got hit with a chopping sort of right hand on a spot, kinda where the head and neck meet in back, a little lower than right behind his left ear...

I've been hit there before and it's one of those spots where it can buckle your knees for an instant, even on a non power shot...so who knows...after all, ODH didn't look like he was hit THAT hard, but when you get hit on the right spot it can do the trick...

The bigger issue...if you ask me, is that he was getting caught as much as he was in general, and especially with a shot like that...all he did was turn his head (so the back was exposed)...he did 't even try and get out of the way...seemed to be a central theme in the fight for him...

It was sad to watch...

"The punch didn't even look that bad. Apparently everyone was right, he doesn't have a chin. Oh well, he was still the best I've ever seen in his prime."

His head SLAMMED onto the canvas and bounced after he fell. Afterwards, it was said that he suffered a concussion from the head slam.

it was obvious Roy was out just from the way he fell. Never attempted to catch himself and the head slam on the canvas certainly didn;t help matters. The ref seemed to be going through the formality but he couldnt have thought Roy was going to wake up. let alone beat the count to his feet. Looks like the ref just wanted to be certain that he did everything correctly and not cause a ocntraversy. Doesnt appear to have impacted the response time by the doctor, however. Any word on how Roy is doing?

Sometimes guys will lie on the mat face up, looking much like they've been kayoed, only to get up all of a sudden and be ok. I'm sure the ref just wanted to avoid such a situation at all costs. It's not like Roy he put Roy's health in serious jeopardy by giving him a count -- the damage was already done.

Nice summation Atilda!

Atilda,

I suppose your right, and from going to matches I certainly know that the TV is usually the best angle, it was just a gut reaction... when people drop like that it's usually a pretty serious injury. Like sincity hustler I'm also wondering what the word on Roy's condition is.

In his prime (you know the time when ALL the greats are measured) he was one of the world's best. LOL@Haters.

Live in Vegas

"Watching the fight last night with my girl and her friend, AS SOON as Roy dropped I was screaming at the TV (the ref) WTF are you counting to 10 for!?! Get a god damned doctor into that ring NOW!"

To respond to your statement: It is standard procedure for the Ref to give the 10 count to a fighter who hits the canvas, this is usually covered in the rules meeting. However, he doesn't have to give the full count and can wave the fight off, if he feels that boxer took too much damage prior to the knock down or has had too many knock downs. Unfortunately, in boxing it has always been a standing tradition to give former champions second and third chances to achieve some type of greatness.

Sometimes a good rep can hurt I guess... Roy was in bad shape. Thanks for the response rings.

"His head SLAMMED onto the canvas and bounced after he fell. Afterwards, it was said that he suffered a concussion from the head slam."

If you saw the fight, and the Tarver rematch, you can tell that after both times he got KOed his body immediately went limp on the way down before he ever touched the canvas. To me, that is enough indication that Roy has a weak chin. As Live in Vegas posted, you could tell he was OUT, right away.

btw there is a poll on the subject on my other thread :P