RJJ Musta Forgot

That Tarver wasn't another policeman, garbageman, mailman, etc.

he shoulda stayed at heavy

Fuck that! Roy is the man...still.

Roy took a dive in order to avoid fighting James Toney at heavyweight!

I don't think this proves Tarver is a superior boxer to RJJ in ANY respect...I think it only proves that RJJ got caught with a punch...ala Rahman/Lewis...it wasn't like Tarver dominated him for 8 rounds and then put him away...

My concern for RJJ is his chin, if he wants to fight real heavies (Ruiz barely counts)...he better think twice about that reality, if getting KO'd by a "Lt. Heavy" punch...

Absolutely, I agree...it was a great shot...but my point is...it's not going to get any easier at heavy.

"I don't think there have ever been many people at any weight that can walk through a crisp, flush hook that they didn't see coming."

Some people have cast iron chins, some don't.

Roy's beard is something I've always wondered about, but he's always been so much quicker than everyone he's fought that we've never really seen him get hit solid.

I still contend that the Del Valle knockdown was more of an off balance thing rather than a case of Del Valle hurting Roy.

But as you say that was nothing like this. Maybe age finally caught up to RJJ's reflexes.

PoundForPound I have to disagree. Del Valle knocked him down very with a perfect shot to the temple. RJJ held his footing for a second then his back leg went out from under him.

However, overall RJJ reacted well to what was a very good shot on the temple. For this reason I was a little surprised how easily he went from Tarver's single shot. Granted, it was a truely great punch - fast, powerful, brilliantly timed and perfectly placed. But even though it was a good shot, RJJ was absolutely FUCKED. I don't think he had any idea were he was until long after the ref had stopped counting.

Maybe this is a very vivid reminder that RJJ is really just a blown up MW tackling legit LHW.

Agreed about the frame issue. The difference in height with guys like Tarver seems to an extent negate Jones' ability to shoot in with fast shots.

"I don't think there have ever been many people at any weight that can walk through a crisp, flush hook that they didn't see coming." This sums it up................

Yes Jones is a natural middleweight, and not even a big natural middleweight. Look at how small his head is; it makes the rest of his muscular body look huge in comparison. He is lucky he never got into the ring with Mike Tyson. Imagine what Mike's hook would have done if it ever landed.