Road FC CEO: "UFC is like Cancer for MMA"

MMALOGIC - 
Daht - if he had a champion's clause his champion couldn't jump to the UFC without negotiating with them first...

this is (partly) why Bellator is so crazy harsh with it's non competes and matching periods.

they dont have a champions clause because nobody was signing with them...  they instead used automatic extensions, trademark rights, matching periods on guys they cut, etc... to lock fighters in.  as soon as everyone got hip to it, Bellator was forced to go to different parts of the world to sign guys because gyms werent allowing any of their guys besides the B level to sign with them.

Well that is the catch 22. If you can't make it worth a fighter's while, he isn't going to sign away a ton of rights or get locked down like that.

A smaller show that wants to grow will find a middle ground it can use in it's contracts to either hold on to fighters or get compensated if they jump ship early.

Bellator is being a major dick with it's contracts also. Holding fighters that never fought or made a dime from bellator under the gun. Guys like Alvarez or Lombard are investments and have made money so tough negotiations are reasonable. Suing Jonathan Brookins is petty.

UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 - 
tbi0904 - 
UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 - 
Animal Chin - 
Utah get me two - "How dare these fighters attempt to make more money and work towards their goal of being world champion. Road FC champion should be enough. The UFC is mean"

How dare fighters try to earn a paycheck and feed their families outside of the ultimate wrestling championship!

Well, if you had the choice of making $3000 or so at Road FC and then Dana says "Hey, how about I give you $15000/15000?"  It would be stupid not to take it.  If these companies want to get bigger, they have to do it on their own.  It's not up to Dana to help them out.  That's how business works.  You don't see the NBA trying to help out the crappy little leagues in europe, or the NHL trying to help out the KHL in Russia. 

The NHL strike is the best thing that could've happened to the KHL lol. It wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of Russian players just stay home. Especially knowing whenever this labor contract is up the NHL will be right back in the same boat again.

Oh some fringe guys will be staying in Europe and Russia for sure especially if they lose a full season again because then  you have two full draft years entering the league in one shot.  But I don't see the top tier guys like Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovy etc. staying in Russia.  And I think the NHL could stablilize by the time the next CBA rolls around if they move a couple of teams to better markets.

That's the biggest issue with the NHL. It's too big. I'm lucky enough to live in a big market city (Chicago area) that sustains an NHL & AHL team (two AHL if you count Rockford which is about 80 miles to the west). Some markets frankly need to go so they stop holding successful franchises and the league hostage every time negotiations come around. Look at the owner of Minnesota, signs two big time contracts then complains he can't make money to compete. Until that changes I don't have a whole lot of optimism this won't happen again.

Sorry to hijack a "I have sand in my pussy because I'm not the UFC but want to be very badly" thread. I guess this promoter isn't a big fan of fighters having free reign to do what's best for their careers.

Who???

Cindy

Todd Lally - It is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Pay them and they will stay!

This.

One FC and it's "network" which includes Road FC, attempted to sign most of the regional talent to poorly constructed contracts without expiration dates far below international market value, essentially limiting the fighters abilities to earn a living via fair trade.

Now that more promotions are recognising the talents in Asia, and willing to pay market value...these promotions are banding together in an effort to strong arm the athletes into just accepting their iron clad contracts instead of taking them to court, or allowing them free will to develop their trade in an open market.

"developing" fighters, serves the promotion as much as it does the fighter. Phone Post

" One thing for sure is that no organization should applaud the way the UFC is basically poaching fighters for free"

Free? Phone Post

Ray Elbe - 
Todd Lally - It is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Pay them and they will stay!

This.

One FC and it's "network" which includes Road FC, attempted to sign most of the regional talent to poorly constructed contracts without expiration dates far below international market value, essentially limiting the fighters abilities to earn a living via fair trade.

Now that more promotions are recognising the talents in Asia, and willing to pay market value...these promotions are banding together in an effort to strong arm the athletes into just accepting their iron clad contracts instead of taking them to court, or allowing them free will to develop their trade in an open market.

"developing" fighters, serves the promotion as much as it does the fighter. Phone Post

One FC is also saying they have exclusive deals with fight camps where they have first rights to all their fighters? 

WTF!?!

He's right on many levels. That being said Zuffa is doing what makes most businesses sense. They're doing what's best for Zuffa. They are run in a capitalist country after all.

Unfortunately for mma fighters and fans worldwide, Zuffas actions are not beneficial to anyone other than Zuffa. Its good for UFC fighters but not good for fighters over seas or for the development overall development of mma over seas.

Zuffa put mma on the map in the us but at this point its holding mma back. Big time Phone Post

Daht - 
MMALOGIC - 
Daht - if he had a champion's clause his champion couldn't jump to the UFC without negotiating with them first...

this is (partly) why Bellator is so crazy harsh with it's non competes and matching periods.

they dont have a champions clause because nobody was signing with them...  they instead used automatic extensions, trademark rights, matching periods on guys they cut, etc... to lock fighters in.  as soon as everyone got hip to it, Bellator was forced to go to different parts of the world to sign guys because gyms werent allowing any of their guys besides the B level to sign with them.

Well that is the catch 22. If you can't make it worth a fighter's while, he isn't going to sign away a ton of rights or get locked down like that.

A smaller show that wants to grow will find a middle ground it can use in it's contracts to either hold on to fighters or get compensated if they jump ship early.

Bellator is being a major dick with it's contracts also. Holding fighters that never fought or made a dime from bellator under the gun. Guys like Alvarez or Lombard are investments and have made money so tough negotiations are reasonable. Suing Jonathan Brookins is petty.

yep...a real catch 22.  the problem is if they dont sign such dubious contracts they'll go out of business trying to keep their free agents but if they do they dont get the best prospects. 

Weird analogy seeing as how cancer often spreads fast. Phone Post

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - I don't really understand these guys who say stuff like this. The better UFC does and the more guys the UFC signs from them, the more money Road Fc is going to make and top prospects will continue to want to fight for them.

Like the local show in New Jersey. Phone Post

Yeah the point he's making tho us that it doesnt actually work that way. People generally pay to see names, not unknown guys who might be good one day.
What he should do tho, is build his brand name up instead of relying on individual fighters.

There is s glaring need for the UFC to set up some sort of feeder league tho. Set up regional tournaments where the winners get upped to the big leagues. And where guys who are struggling can go, rebuild, get some wins, then come back. Sorta Like English soccer does with it's promotion/ relegation system. Phone Post

burner22 -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - I don't really understand these guys who say stuff like this. The better UFC does and the more guys the UFC signs from them, the more money Road Fc is going to make and top prospects will continue to want to fight for them.

Like the local show in New Jersey. Phone Post

Yeah the point he's making tho us that it doesnt actually work that way. People generally pay to see names, not unknown guys who might be good one day.
What he should do tho, is build his brand name up instead of relying on individual fighters.

There is s glaring need for the UFC to set up some sort of feeder league tho. Set up regional tournaments where the winners get upped to the big leagues. And where guys who are struggling can go, rebuild, get some wins, then come back. Sorta Like English soccer does with it's promotion/ relegation system. Phone Post

That would be a grand idea. Have feeder leagues/orgs in other countries too. Filter/build guys in various countries around the world with the top dogs ending up in UFC... seems a long way off though and not sure if it makes money sense Phone Post