Robbie Lawler vs Stephen Thompson on ESPN

This just in!!! What a fight! ?? https://t.co/VXtvKcxJvM

— BJ Penn (@bjpenndotcom) August 26, 2018

Great fight!

Why is it any time the UFC ends up on ESPN, Robbie Lawler gets the call? 

WrestlingSucks -

Cause he's the freakin man, that's why.

I can’t say this is going to be one sided, but that’s a thought fight for lawler imo. Stylistically, a rough go 

I like it. I would have loved it 3 years ago. I hope Thompson gets aggressive. I understand everyone has a game plan and wants to win, but his style of laying back and hoping to counter has been somewhat boring his last few fights. I’d like to see him open up a little bit. 

But Lawler is a dangerous guy to do that with. 

WrestlingSucks - 

Because the UFC wants to deliver, and Lawler fucking delivers.

Bad fight for robbie imo.

If thompson has anything to say about it, it will be a boring fight for fans. 

Morgz -

I like it. I would have loved it 3 years ago. I hope Thompson gets aggressive. I understand everyone has a game plan and wants to win, but his style of laying back and hoping to counter has been somewhat boring his last few fights. I’d like to see him open up a little bit. 

But Lawler is a dangerous guy to do that with. 

agreed, Thompson is one of my favs, but he gets too cautious and makes for an extremely boring fights .

Great fight for Robbie, Steven won't bum rush him.

Lawler is fighting?

IN!

bjtrashman -

I can’t say this is going to be one sided, but that’s a thought fight for lawler imo. Stylistically, a rough go 

Seems like a power vs precision match up. Robbie isn't really a high volume puncher and Wonderboy has a tendency to be tentative in his striking. Hopefully they both go out trying to make a statement.

Steve Iceman Little -

Great fight for Robbie, Steven won't bum rush him.

Steven doesnt bum rush anyone.

Curious as to why you think this fight plays to robbies advantage being hell have the reach disadvantage and struggled with cerrone, condit, and Hendrix ( who was about equal to robbies reach )? 

Steven gets uncomfortable when people bum rush him.

Steve Iceman Little -

Steven gets uncomfortable when people bum rush him.

I disagree. As a boring counter fighter thats when he s at his best a la Machida and Anderson. Anderson vs Forrest comes to mind. 

I mean yeah, robbie could catch him doing that and certainly has the power to put him out but the greater likelihood is he gets caught on the way in. 

The thing that makes this a great fight instead of just an easy pick for Wonderboy is that Lawler has had many fights against tall rangy precision strikers. And Lawler is Lawler.

Final point: Wonderboy might have to force aggression here as he’s sort of backed into a corner career-wise and needs to start changing things up to get back on that “superstar” track… long story short, Thompson may fight outside of his normal self in this fight which could be dangerous.

Sage Northcock - The thing that makes this a great fight instead of just an easy pick for Wonderboy is that Lawler has had many fights against tall rangy precision strikers. And Lawler is Lawler.

Final point: Wonderboy might have to force aggression here as he’s sort of backed into a corner career-wise and needs to start changing things up to get back on that “superstar” track… long story short, Thompson may fight outside of his normal self in this fight which could be dangerous.

my only issue with this is that Lawler hasn’t looked like himself lately… past his prime? will find out soon enough. 

Sage Northcock - The thing that makes this a great fight instead of just an easy pick for Wonderboy is that Lawler has had many fights against tall rangy precision strikers. And Lawler is Lawler.

I kind of hope he does. I don’t want him to be wreckless and lose, but hopefully he gets aggressive 

Because the UFC wants to deliver, and Lawler fucking delivers.

How many kids does he have?   ??

I hate watching wonderboy fight - stupid for an ESPN debut - hopefully Robbie can put on a show.