Robbie/Rory - One of the best title fights?

Has there been any other title fight that was so back and forth with the champ down on the cards going into R5 and getting a finish in R5? Both guys showing technique, strategy and killer instinct?

I guess there is the Alvarez/Chandler double.

Were Santiago/Misaki title fights?

Robbie and Hendicks were both very close but not nearly as dramatic as Robbie/Rory II for the title.

Even if you thought Hendricks beat GSP, i thought that was a pretty gutsy performance by GSP coming back strong in the 5th.

Nog was the king of the comeback but that was usually after taking a beating, weathering the storm to come back with a sub but not really evenly matched and back and forth like Robbie/Rory.

Any other ones like that?

I don't think Robbie was down coming into round 5 I reckon whoever won the last won the fight.. Was such a awesome fight I was standing the whole damn thing loved it and that bloody staredown !! I've watched it like 6 times already Phone Post 3.0

Certainly not back and forth but Andy was undoubtedly down at least 3-1 before tapping Chael Phone Post 3.0

I agree that gsp was awesome in round 5. We got to see the trying to finnish gsp again. IMO he thought he needed one to win. Phone Post 3.0

Robbie ruthlessly breaks faces - I don't think Robbie was down coming into round 5 I reckon whoever won the last won the fight.. Was such a awesome fight I was standing the whole damn thing loved it and that bloody staredown !! I've watched it like 6 times already Phone Post 3.0
You do know the scorecards were released right? And they showed Rory was winning 3-1 going into the 5th. Lawler needed that finish. Phone Post 3.0

I personally do not like to see two fighters take that amount of damage. Hunt/Bigfoot, Hendo/Shogun, etc. I prefer more defensive skills in the mix. It's possible to have a close, exciting, technical fight with blood and heart without taking yeas off their life.

Ant124m -
Robbie ruthlessly breaks faces - I don't think Robbie was down coming into round 5 I reckon whoever won the last won the fight.. Was such a awesome fight I was standing the whole damn thing loved it and that bloody staredown !! I've watched it like 6 times already Phone Post 3.0
You do know the scorecards were released right? And they showed Rory was winning 3-1 going into the 5th. Lawler needed that finish. Phone Post 3.0
I'm sorry but those judges were fucked off during that fight. Phone Post 3.0

Absolutely incredible fight. So rare to see a fight that violence and back and forth with a late finish for the guy who is losing (also the underdog), especially when its not a brawl, and especially when it is the champion against the most exciting and threatening contender! One of the best fights ever in my opinion. High-stakes, an exciting fight with a great storyline and a brilliant finish.

Silva was down 4-0 going into the 5th in the first Chael fight.

In my opinion Jones was down against Gus as well, but that's right up there with saying GSP was down against Hendricks. Scorecards tell a completely different tale. Phone Post 3.0

Peter Griffin vs the Giant Chicken is another that comes to mind. Phone Post 3.0

All the respect in the world for GSP and his abilities but I really hope he doesn't return. He is great for the sport and should take up other roles rather than be a competitor now.

The welterweight division is so exciting right now the only stinker in the mix is Hendrix.

That was for me the most exciting welterweight title fight in the UFC so far. I know there were other big match ups that put in context made them feel a little more special. However as a stand alone fight this Robbie/Rory fight will be one for the ages.

It was an amazing fight.

In UFC history, I'd put it alongside the following:

-Hughes v. Trigg and Penn (II) for what I consider to be pretty epic comebacks
-Jones v. Gus
-Silva v. Chael I
-Mendes v. Aldo II
-Both Edgar v. Maynard fights

My personal favorite is Aldo Mendes - I cannot think of a fight in which a higher level of MMA skill is displayed.

One that doesn't belong on the list, but that I love is Cormier Johnson because of the Herculean shot Cormier ate in the beginning followed by a great comeback and theft of Rumble's soul.

Robbie v. Rory belongs near the top of any list - probably top 3.

Trigg vs Hughes? Phone Post 3.0

SurgicalGloves -
Ant124m -
I dunno. It was pretty close, I actually had it 3-1 Rory as well Phone Post 3.0

SurgicalGloves -
Ant124m -
This. They were all cecil peoples in that fight. Phone Post 3.0

It was great but I think a lot of it was the blood.

Like I think the first Hendricks/Lawler was a better fight. Much higher pace, toe to toe the whole time, a very different kind of fight from the others we see in MMA, it almost looked like kung fu, lots of hand trapping and blocking.

Ant124m - 

"Actually he did, the scorecards were released and all three judges had Rory winning 3-1. As crazy as it sounds, Robbie needed a knockout or the elusive 10-7 round to get a win."

Pura Vida -
Ant124m - 

"Actually he did, the scorecards were released and all three judges had Rory winning 3-1. As crazy as it sounds, Robbie needed a knockout or the elusive 10-7 round to get a win."
A 10-8 round would have given him a draw, and he would've retained the title. And it would've given Rory an automatic rematch. Al a Frankie Edgar/Gray Maynard. Phone Post 3.0

wiggum - It was an amazing fight.

In UFC history, I'd put it alongside the following:

-Hughes v. Trigg and Penn (II) for what I consider to be pretty epic comebacks
-Jones v. Gus
-Silva v. Chael I
-Mendes v. Aldo II
-Both Edgar v. Maynard fights

My personal favorite is Aldo Mendes - I cannot think of a fight in which a higher level of MMA skill is displayed.

One that doesn't belong on the list, but that I love is Cormier Johnson because of the Herculean shot Cormier ate in the beginning followed by a great comeback and theft of Rumble's soul.

Robbie v. Rory belongs near the top of any list - probably top 3.
No mention of Rizzo vs Randy?

That was the best Phone Post 3.0

Ah yeah Randy Rizzo 1 for sure.

Fedor CC was good but Fedor dominated mostly.

Nog Herring was good too but Nog dominated that too.

Aldo Mendes was great, back and forth but I felt Aldo always had an answer for Chad.