Roberto Duran redeems himself after the No Mas debacle in brutal style

Howard Cosell really did Duran dirty with the “no mas” thing. Yeah, he did quit in the eighth round, but no one ever heard him say those words. Cosell just embellished and it’s followed Duran ever since. People will be calling him “no mas” forever.

1 Like

The ref said that was what Duran was saying didn’t he?

I loved boxing at that time. Read everything I could. I remember SI writing “The arrows on Moore’s shorts point to where Duran was sending him” or something like that.

Duran is the greatest fighter that I saw compete in my lifetime. Not “live” but in my following of the sport.

1 Like

this is one of the best fights I’ve ever watched

3 Likes

No he did not.They fought again and SRL beat him again.

2 Likes

amazing KO win

2 Likes

I’m fifty years old and used to watch every big boxing match with my dad, followed that sport from the womb. Duran is just “one of those” that you can’t explain if you didn’t watch it. He reminds me a lot of BJ Penn in certain respects, there were curious lapses and both fought a major part of their better years above their best fighting weight… and for my money in their respective sports they were the best I’ve ever seen. Duran beat Ray Leonard in their first fight soundly and honestly never should have been in the ring with him. Nor should he have been in there with Hearns… that’s one of the most brutal KO 's you’ll ever see. Like Penn he wasn’t perfect, but at his best, he WAS the best. Just my opinion.

3 Likes

Never beaten at 135. He jumped right over an entire division to get to the greatest WW of the time and beat him soundly. Definitively the greatest boxer in my time.

2 Likes

Duran was a savage and a much greater fighter than Leonard,only a casual would think otherwise

1 Like

I think a casual would have found out about Duran when Duran moved up two divisions and beat Ray Leonard. Then the casual would compare the careers from that point forward. Even then the careers are close but you have to discount Manos de Piedra’s NEVER having lost at 135 and having 70+ wins at the time he jumped up TWO weight classes to beat the greatest WW of that time.