Robin Black tells the truth....

When I started this ridiculous journey, I certainly did NOT imagine throwing a party in my favorite bar, where all my old friends wore my "Championship Belt".
But that's exactly what we did tonight.

I felt silly carrying around a belt, while everyone called me champ.... but I liked it.

Honestly, I just wanted to fight. I wanted to be tested the way that only a tiny percentage of humans is tested.
But, damn, I love this sport. I love this game. I am obsessed.

Fighting is the greatest thing on earth. If you don't fight, you can't understand- you can't feel it by coaching, you can't feel it by managing, you can't feel it by being a trainer- fighting is something that only fighters can discuss with other fighters... fighting makes a guy like me feel alive....

Anyhoo, here's the thing: I want to apologize to my trainers and training partners. I'm sorry I lied. Billy, Buzz, Claude, I'm sorry. (I told Geoff the truth.... if ANYONE's gonna lie about there age, make sure you tell your conditioning guru the truth...)

I am FORTY YEARS OLD.

The thing is, I only lied so that I wouldn't get special treatment. So that I would still be pushed in training.

It feels good to admit that I'm 40, and that I only have a few fights left in me.
But I want so bad to keep fighting. I love it. . But it becomes less and less possible all the time....

I had my first fight a couple weeks before my 39th birthday. I went home with 2 black eyes, a broken nose, and the respect of the people who didn't think I could do it.

Then I lost my second fight to a talented grappler who laughed at my "superior" striking.

I know in my heart that most people could not take the embarrassment of 2 losses..... but I put my head down and stayed with this.

Anyhoo, here I am after staying with my dream. Now I have 2 wins (thankfully, that guy talked enough shit to make me feel good about these wins) and I'm wearing a belt, sitting in front of my computer.
But the thing is, I'm FORTY.

What do I do now?

Seriously, forty year olds aren't professional fighters. Sure, there's obviously an mma media job for me, with my passion, work-ethic and skill set, but I still want to FIGHT.

I'm not sure what my point is on this thread.... I feel old (and I hope I have 3 more fights in me)... I hope some veterans like Joe (what is he, like, 31?) and 1armed and stuff chuck some advice out here....

I also hope on some small level I might inspire an old guy or two.....

PS. Do any of you 15 kids who have been calling me out feel stupid for calling out some dude who's as old as your fucking dad? I would...

I'm almost 37 and I'd give yah one hell of a match if you like. In the GI of course.

tttA for old guys

How many 20 year olds can see their serratus anterior?

Dude, I'm 38.

I'd write more but I have to get myself, 38-year-old brown/black Mundial silver medalist Val Worthington, and 41-year-old ADCC finalist, world champion, and all around grappling legend Felicia Oh to the tournament.

Robin, keep it going! You have way more than 3 fights in you!

Guys like us (Im not 40 yet, you're old fart...but I am close) should be an inspiration to younger guys, but more important to older guys, 30+ dudes that think they are too old to do something that most of them would love if they would only give it a chance. And I hope we are that inspiration. We have 50+ y/old guys at our place....and you know what...if they do it, why not me, or you. Hey you are at Xtreme Who? Couture, baby....how old is that coliflower? like almost 50...so stop whining that you're 40 and go kick some ass 10 more times at least.

Funny...we just had this conversation last night at the gym - how much longer do you think you can do it? I won't stop until I cannot walk, and if by then they'll invent over the counter knee or shoulder replacement kits, I'll stock my closet with them and keep going!

Egor.

I am 40, a woman, and STILL competitive. I train 5 to six days a week and shame most boys half my age.

Age gives you several advantages....

you now know what dedication and hard work gets you in all aspects of life and can directly apply that knowledge to your training

you listen when someone who is better than you tries to teach you without ego or bravado getting in the way of your learning

you are a little more stable in other areas of your life (family, career) and can focus on training instead of scrounging to pay the rent

you have more control (hopefully by now!) of your anger and can prevent a hard sparring session from getting out of contol, and if some pup still wants it to go there you can still trounce him and stop yourself before an ambulance needs to be called

you truly appreciate the value of a good rest day and an even better physiotherapist!!

On the day of my 40th birthday I went to the gym and sparred...just to celebrate the fact that I could.

You have 6 or 7 good quality competitive years left...don't waste them wondering how many years you can keep up the pace. Just put your head down and do it.

Nada

Man, I train with some serious badasses. :)

Nada:

I will read your post again and again.... thank you so so much....

On first read, I think my life has improved 67.8%......

:)

ps If you have 6 or 7 quality competitive years left in you, I have 8 or 9.... I'm just an asshole that way....

ps If you have 6 or 7 quality competitive years left in you, I have 8 or 9.... I'm just an asshole that way....

We all know that women live exponntially longer than men. I will be shadowboxing on your grave my friend. Even with both my hips replaced!

I'm just an asshole that way....;)

ROBIN COUTURE, I have no minutes left on my phone... I can see that you called, but, cant speak with anyone until I get some $$$. Working on it....

BTW I am in Kingston/Belleville until I meet with the surgeon Sept 14th... where I go after that is yet to be determined.

I miss everyone and training...

OK OK enough of the side notes. I have nothing but respect and admiration for this man... Robin suffered back to back losses and was ridiculed to no end. Despite that, he continued to train his ass of and kept on improving... he is a champion. Having told the truth or not, Robins dedication exceeds most competitors half his age.. he lives, breathes, eats, and sleeps MMA. Which is more than I can say for myself, and I just turned 25.

Robins got a couple title defenses left in him for sure...

Stay up, I will get a pay as you go card and be in touch with you soon... tell Albert and the guys I say whats up!

For real.. you're 40? I wouldn't guess it. But then age is only a number. You have been doing some shit that younger people can aspire to, and old farts can look up to as well.

I was at your fight against Janz in Winnipeg. And, even though you got caught in a sub early, you were still in the cage putting on a show for the fans, and testing yourself. Don't let a number change that. You've got more good fights left in you. Keep going until you feel it's time to stop, not because of a number.

I am older than you, 44, and I am just going to start training. I will never step in a cage, but I love this sport and I could stand to get my fat ass in shape.

Keep doing what you do...

Joe Doerksen sent me a text that made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I look up to him. :)

Joe, thank you. Sincerely.

ps Why won't you fight that 0-0 guy who's not in your weight class who's manager is strangely bully-ing you to fight him in some magical weight class in some magical organization that doesn't exist..... why? WHY?

Robin,

Keep doing what you love until your body won't let you anymore!

Congrats on living your dream!

Robin Black - Joe Doerksen sent me a text that made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

ps Why won't you fight that 0-0 guy who's not in your weight class who's manager is strangely bully-ing you to fight him in some magical weight class in some magical organization that doesn't exist..... why? WHY?

Cause I'm not a real man, and I'm not a real fighter.

ok robin, enough of this shit. youre old! face it! go and get a fucking walker and some prune juice so you can live the rest of your in comfort knowing that you are too old to ever accomplish anything so why bother trying. i think thats what you needed to hear, and i am always happy to be the one to tell you how it is.

you geezer.

Joe Doerksen - 
Robin Black - Joe Doerksen sent me a text that made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Cause I'm not a real man, and I'm not a real fighter.

Joe Doerksen was created through all of our imaginations

Robin Black - I would enjoy a day in the life of Robin Black..... please?

I'm not adding my disclaimer because Robin requested this. Robin, if you want me to delete any of it, just ask

Obviously I have no idea what Robin does in a day, so it's all speculation.

I'm going repost this with the complete day.....removed for now.

40...wow. I have respect for a guy who starts his mma career at 38. Not just internet respect, but actual respect. At 28 I sometimes feel washed up. Kudos man, most people start to fade at 35; sucked into the background by a life of domestication.

On a more serious note, your balls are 40 years old. Hold those antiques gently when using.

FRAT warning...

Well my friend although I never knew for certain how old you were.  I knew you were somewhere between me (33) and the big 4-0.  Never mattered though.  Dude you've come a fuck of a long way in a relatively short period of time.

You've been an inspiration to me and as a result I've keep coming back time and time again.  After all the time I've missed due to surgeries, work, family, life in general and a myriad of responsibilities that most young men can't possibly know,  I could've thrown in the towel, conceding defeat to age (life would be more appropriate, I'm not that old, but you get the point) before I even got started.  Fuck man I've never been able to even really GET started.  I'm still a newb,  but I'm not giving up.  I'm just coming back off another long layoff.  But its stuff like this that inspires me to keep coming back again and again.  I do this because its fun.  Because I enjoy it, but I've thought about quitting many times.  Seeing guys like you who are older than me, but still able to make it work (and do so successfully to boot!), keeps me going.

Robin Black - It feels good to admit that I'm 40, and that I only have a few fights left in me.
But I want so bad to keep fighting. I love it. . But it becomes less and less possible all the time....

You don't have to fight, and when you do decide to hang up the gloves one day we'll all understand.  There are still plenty of avenues available.  You have your radio show, commentary, you could compete in grappling tournaments, coach, the list goes on and on.

Robin Black - ...I know in my heart that most people could not take the embarrassment of 2 losses..... but I put my head down and stayed with this....

Yup.  Most people would've called it quits right there.  You didn't.  You came back.  You got that forever.  Nobody can take it away.  Be proud. 

Robin Black - ...What do I do now?What do I do now?...

Whatever you want man.  Whatever is best for you and yours in the long run is all that matters.  All that ever matters.

Robin Black - ...I feel old...
I'll bet you don't man.  I'll bet you're in the best shape of your life.  I spent many, many years partying all the time and I can't believe how much younger I feel now when comparing myself to that guy from way back when.  I'm willing to bet you're in a similar boat. 

The only thing that makes me feel old at all is that it seems to be easier for me to get injured and these injuries take longer to heal.  That's the next part of my journey though.  Having to change the way I do things so I don't keep injuring myself.  You've been one of the inspirations for me to have this mindset and continue my own journey, and for that I say thanks.

Anyways.  Hang your head high bro, and do what you do. 

Cheers

trianglegrrl - ...Dude, I'm 38... 
no f'ing way!