Rocksmith 2014

During the incredible rise -- and subsequent rapid decline -- of rhythm games, a few aspiring plastic-instrument aficionados wondered what it be like to take their skills to the next level and learn how to play a real guitar. Rock Band 3 tried to fulfill that desire in 2010, but it only worked via midi, which meant the game relied solely on finger placement and didn't actually hear what you were playing. Power Gig, released the same year, came with a mini-sized six-string guitar, but only supported basic two-note chording and didn't do much to teach hopeful players how to shred for real. Enter Rocksmith in 2011, which while still not perfect, came the closest to mixing a real guitar learning tool with a video game. Rocksmith allowed players to plug in a real guitar -- any guitar -- and start hammering away with their favorite bands. This was the first major guitar-based game that actually listened to the tones you were playing. This allowed for a much more interactive and genuine guitar-playing experience since you could transpose on the fly; there are multiple ways to play each chord shape on a guitar neck, and since Rocksmith listened to the tones you were playing, it meant you could form chords the way you wanted to as long as they were composed of the right notes. It was really quite amazing technology. Now the developers at Ubisoft are getting ready to release their sophomore effort: Rocksmith 2014. We had a chance to play around with the PC version for the past week or so and it's obvious that the team took a lot of feedback from the original to heart and incorporated many improvements into the sequel. As with the original, you can play lead and rhythm guitar as well as bass. It's important to note that Rocksmith 2014 is as much a teaching tool as it is an interactive game experience. There are more than 85 lessons -- ranging from bends to accents to slides to chord formation -- included. There's also a handy finger position guide on the interface now, which is one of the most helpful learning tools added to the 2014 edition. This is a huge improvement to the game as it teaches new users how to form chords in the most efficient way possible to easily move to other shapes. Of course you can just jump right into any of the songs and start jamming, but Rocksmith 2014 also includes missions this time around. Think of them as challenges or mini-quests that take you through a guitar-learning journey. Rocksmith 2014 suggests missions in response to what you've done in the game and what it identifies as your weaknesses. For example, if you're continually missing an easy bend in a particular song, Rocksmith 2014 may send you on a mission to complete a basic bends lesson. Missing a more complicated bend? You'll likely be challenged to complete a harder bend lesson to prove you understand the concept. Complete more missions and you'll be rewarded with more experience levels and unlocks such as new graphical inlays for your guitar neck. Guitarcade is back. If you're not familiar with Rocksmith, the Guitarcade was a collection of mini-games that take a fun approach to teaching you guitar basics such as scale shapes, chords and rhythm. All of the games in the Guitarcade have been revamped with better graphics, and a few have even become more epic story-driven experiences. One of the new mini-games is Star Chords, which takes the form of a space shooter with laser fire triggered through playing specific chords. As an experienced guitarist, one of the biggest complaints I had with the original was the difficulty limitations. In order to serve new players, every song in Rocksmith was locked to the lowest difficulty setting and you had to play a dozen or more times to unlock the full instrumentation. Rocksmith 2014 allows you to set your difficulty level, so there's no more frustration with having to play a song over and over and over again at an easy level if you're already familiar with the basics of playing guitar. Now you can start with every note unlocked, or settle somewhere in-between and work your way up. Master mode, which allows you to play a song completely from memory with no notation help, is also back. However, it's slightly different this time around. In Rocksmith, you had to nail an entire song nearly perfectly to unlock master mode. You also had to play the entire song in master mode, meaning you had no visual cues throughout the entire experience. In Rocksmith 2014, if you continually nail a section, the notes will gradually fade away for that phrase and you’ll be dropped into master mode automatically. This allows you to learn songs gradually and lets you build up to the more difficult solo sections without having to play the entire song without guiding notes. One of the more interesting new features is session mode, where you can set a key, pick a scale and start jamming with a band that plays along to your rhythm. This is great for both the beginner who wants to learn scales in a more dynamic environment as well as for more experienced guitarists who want to try out new riffs with a full band. Rhythm games are all about the music, and Rocksmith 2014 includes a good variety of guitar-driven tracks ranging from classic rock to metal to contemporary pop. So far Ubisoft has announced the following tracks:

Aerosmith – Walk This Way

Alice in Chains – Stone

Arctic Monkeys – R U Mine?

Avenged Sevenfold – Bat Country

B'z - Ultra Soul

Bob Dylan – Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

EarlyRise - Wasteland

Iron Maiden – The Trooper

Jack White – Sixteen Saltines

Kiss – Rock And Roll All Nite

La Sera – Love That’s Gone

Mastodon – Blood and Thunder

Oasis – Don’t Look Back In Anger

Pantera – Cemetery Gates

Paramore – Now

R.E.M. – Losing My Religion

Radiohead – Paranoid Android

Red Fang – Wires

Rise Against – Savior

Screaming Females – Rotten Apple

Slayer – War Ensemble

Splashh – All I Wanna Do

The Kinks – You Really Got Me

The Rolling Stones – Paint It, Black

The Shins – For A Fool

The Smashing Pumpkins – Cherub Rock (pre-order bonus)

The Smashing Pumpkins – The Chimera

The Who – My Generation

Weezer – Say It Ain’t So

White Zombie – Thunder Kiss ‘65

And there are still more than 20 songs to be unveiled before Rocksmith 2014 is released on October 22. Like the original, Ubisoft will be releasing downloadable songs over time. You will also be able to import most -- if not all -- of your library from Rocksmith into Rocksmith 2014, although licensing specifics for each and every song aren't final at this time. You can also use your cable from the original in Rocksmith 2014, so no need to upgrade your hardware. All in all we were impressed with what we played. We were also pleased to see the load times reduced and the interface cleaned up so you can start playing as quickly as possible instead of waiting to rock. Even with its flaws the original Rocksmith showed a lot of potential as a guitar teaching tool, and Rocksmith 2014 looks like it's going to be a big step forward in achieving that goal while being more open and tweakable to keep experienced guitarists interested.

In Phone Post 3.0

Definitely thinking of getting this. I can't play guitar, so it would be an interesting experiment

I bought the original Rocksmith and loved it, I was already learning guitar and thought it was a very good additional tool for my learning process, not to mention that I loved playing to songs. I am really looking forward to this new Rocksmith. Phone Post 3.0

Sofa King Cool - 

I bought Rocksmith and tried it but I didn't have the time or patience to do it correctly.

I really wanted it to work. Phone Post

if you put in a half hour every day for a year I promise that you will be happy with the results.

I won't be getting it. The guitar hero notation with shit flying everywhere just doesn't do it for me. I got my fill on the first one.

Guitar question. My kid is 9. He breaks shit. Think a small guitar and rocksmith could get him playing? I think hed go crazy for it. Phone Post

I've been playing guitar for 11 years and can play pretty much what I want. Was thinking about getting this game but I didn't like the look of the layout... It looked confusing. Is it confusing? I'm used to playing along looking at tabs on guitar pro and stuff so this would be different... Phone Post 3.0

Badass!

Heard IM's The Trooper in there. FUCK YEAH!

Loved the first one, will definitely get the new one. Looking forward to it.

Passive Jay - 
Sofa King Cool - 

I bought Rocksmith and tried it but I didn't have the time or patience to do it correctly.

I really wanted it to work. Phone Post

if you put in a half hour every day for a year I promise that you will be happy with the results.

So this is legit enough that if you simply followed it's guidance and put your time in that you could get pretty decent?

I got a guitar last year and messed around trying to teach myself a few chords and learning a few riffs from the internet, but a lack of guidance kinda was my overall downfall.

I used to play quite a bit of bass and some guitar but it's been years since I touched one. I've kinda been feeling the itch so maybe this will motivate me to have some lighthearted fun playing to songs.

My questions are: how much does dlc cost and how often is it released?

Do you buy premade packs of songs with similar artists or just individual songs or what?

Do they release packs of songs by the same artist, like a Radiohead pack for example?

I know passive jay had a thread before about his year of playing, how much would you say you've spent on your rocksmith library in total? Phone Post

I ask because there is only like 8 songs on the provided song list I even give a shit about.

The entire Weezer blue album would be so fantastic! Phone Post

Sorry dude, one last question. Is the bass component as fully developed as the guitar part or is it a "guitar game with bass tacked on half-assed". Mostly I'm interested in bass. Phone Post

InvisibleControl - I've been playing guitar for 11 years and can play pretty much what I want. Was thinking about getting this game but I didn't like the look of the layout... It looked confusing. Is it confusing? I'm used to playing along looking at tabs on guitar pro and stuff so this would be different... Phone Post 3.0

it looks confusing but its basicly just tab, if you have never played rockband it might take a bit to get used to but after awhile its not a big deal.

Mikusoraiden - 

I used to play quite a bit of bass and some guitar but it's been years since I touched one. I've kinda been feeling the itch so maybe this will motivate me to have some lighthearted fun playing to songs.

My questions are: how much does dlc cost and how often is it released?

Do you buy premade packs of songs with similar artists or just individual songs or what?

Do they release packs of songs by the same artist, like a Radiohead pack for example?

I know passive jay had a thread before about his year of playing, how much would you say you've spent on your rocksmith library in total? Phone Post

download are 3 bucks and normally release 3 songs every two weeks.

its mostly just individual songs but they offer a couple packs.

they do release packs of songs by the same artist, like queen or black keys for example

I have bought every song so far, they have 142 songs you can download so thats 426 bucks so far.

Mikusoraiden -  I ask because there is only like 8 songs on the provided song list I even give a shit about.

The entire Weezer blue album would be so fantastic! Phone Post

in addition to the songs they have announced so far and the 20 more they will announce you will be able to buy all the downloable content from the first one, so these songs will be avalible as well.

3 Doors Down - Kryptonite

3 Doors Down - When I'm Gone

3 Doors Down - Loser

Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan - Born Under A Bad Sign

Avenged Sevenfold - The Beast and The Harlot

Avenged Sevenfold - Afterlife

Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

B.B. King - The Thrill Is Gone

Bily Idol - White Wedding Part 1

Blind Melon - No Rain

blink-182 - Dammit

blink-182 - What's My Age Again?

blink-182 - All the Small Things

Blondie - Call Me

Blue Öyster Cult - (Don't Fear) the Reaper

Blue Öyster Cult - Godzilla

Blue Öyster Cult - Burnin' for You

Boston - More Than a Feeling

Brian Adam McCune - God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen

Cheap Trick - Surrender

Chic - Good Times

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Born on the Bayou

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen the Rain?

David Bowie - Space Oddity

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water

Dobie Gray - Drift Away

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover

Europe - The Final Countdown

Evanescence - Bring Me To Life

Fall Out Boy - Dance Dance

Fall Out Boy - Thnks Fr Th Mmrs

Fall Out Boy - Sugar We're Going Down

Fall Out Boy - I Don't Care

Fall Out Boy - America's Suitehearts

Finger Eleven - Paralyzer

Foo Fighters - Walk

Foo Fighters - Best of You

Foo Fighters - Wheels

Foo Fighters - My Hero

Foo Fighters - Times Like These

Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks

Gary Clark Jr. - Bright Lights

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - Paris

Heart - Barracuda

Incubus - Wish You Were Here

Incubus - Love Hurts

Incubus - Anna Molly

Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Judas Priest - Breaking the Law J

udas Priest - Painkiller

Judas Priest - Living After Midnight

Judas Priest - You've Got Another Thing Coming

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son

Lamb of God - Redneck

Living Colour - Cult of Personality

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

Maroon 5 - This Love

Maroon 5 - Misery

Maroon 5 - Harder to Breathe

Maroon 5 - She Will Be Loved

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?

Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction

Megadeth - Hangar 18

Megadeth - Public Enemy No. 1

Modest Mouse - Float On

Mountain - Mississippi Queen

My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade

My Chemical Romance - Planetary (Go!)

My Chemical Romance - Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)

Nickelback - How You Remind Me

Nickelback - Rockstar

Nickelback - Bottoms Up

Otis Redding - (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay

Pantera - Walk

Pantera - Domination

Pantera - Cowboys From Hel

l Parliament - Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker)

Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Pearl Jam - Jeremy

Pearl Jam - Black

Pearl Jam - Aliv

e Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls

Queen - Keep Yourself Alive

Queen - Killer Queen

Queen - Stone Cold Crazy