Rogan Gives Less-than-Glowing Review of the New Gloves

Luckily, last night (Sat., June 29, 2024) at UFC 303, there were four brutal knockouts, including a 19-second knockout and a one-punch face-plant knockout.

UFC CEO Dana White was asked during the UFC 303 post-fight press conference (watch here) if the concern over the lack of knockouts is over.

“Let me tell you what me and [Hunter Campbell] were looking at each other like, ‘are these gloves fu—ked up?’ Believe me, we were saying the same thing,” White told the media. “You guys had us wondering, too. So then when [Alex Pereira] knocked [Jiri Prochazka] down the first time, I looked at him and said, ‘I guess it ain’t the gloves.’ And he goes, ‘I don’t think it matters what he’s fu—ing wearing. So that might be true. I don’t know. I think it’s just a coincidence. [White knocks on the table] Hopefully.”

In a relaxed state yes .
I think the fingers could be extended if the fingers were flexed out . Also in Pride the glove often came off the fingers and the ref would have to stop the fight . During ground fighting it happened regularly .

I would vote for something similar to this. Then the fighters would HAVE to keep their fingers in otherwise the ref would know immediately & get a stern warning.

1 Like

Joe has been correct that the gloves suck. We rarely see any knock outs anymore.

Knock-outs have declined over many years tho. Submissions were becoming non existent 15 yrs ago. At one point there was averaging less than 1 submission an event for awhile. Theyve since gone way up and KOs and tips way down.
I think back when Chuck Lidell was killing guys many fighters weee still basically novices in striking. But now every ufc fighter has years of proper kickboxing training and it’s just hard to ko them. Which made more guys back to submissions. It’s just a theory tho

Seriously? Have you been watching any fights at all?

I never thought about the sparring with 16oz boxing gloves creating bad habits. That’s the best theory I’ve heard so far.