Rogan on CM punk

Eddie Bravo: "do you think the CMpunk signing was good for business?"

Rogan: "Business? It depends on what your business is, this is what I believe, honestly. All bulls*t aside. Your business is the Super Bowl of mixed martial arts. Your business is the best fighters in the world. What this is, is an opportunity like James Toney was, to showcase how ridiculous our ideas are about these athletes that have never competed in MMA in comparison to a true, legitimate MMA fighter. But I don't think that's going to happen in this fight."

"this is Randy Couture we're talking about, a heavyweight UFC champion, UFC light heavyweight champion, a real legend, versus CM Punk. Who is going to fight ... who? He's going to fight a guy who's 0-1? Is he going to fight a guy who's 1-0? Why is that 1-0 guy in the UFC? Well, he's only in the UFC because of CM Punk."

"His idea is that he can do this as a challenge and that he wants to jump in and give this a shot,I would tell him, if he was my friend, and supposedly he's very wealthy, I would tell him the same thing I would tell Brock Lesnar, if I ever had Brock Lesnar alone before he started his career, if he asked me, 'What should I do?'

"I'd say, 'How do you want to do this? Do you want to just climb Mount Everest once? Or do you want to be the best that you can be? If you want to be the best that you can be you need to take a legitimate year plus and work on skills only. Only skills, no fighting. No fighting in the UFC! What are you? Crazy?"

"What I would do is bring you to f
ing Holland, if I had a guy who was a multi-millionaire, I would bring that guy somewhere you've got a bunch of people that are the elite of the elite in whatever discipline. I'd bring them to 10th Planet to have him learn Jiu Jitsu. 'Dude, you're going to train here every day for a year before we even think about you fighting someone on fing TV in a cage.

"I want to see guys get you in side control, get you in a mounted crucifix, ready? Escape. You've got to do that every f
ing day. I want to see what happens when someone puts you on your back. Can you threaten off your back? Can you get back up? What's your half guard like? Do you have a lockdown? Or one of these stupid 1994 half guards where you're just flopping your legs around?

"What are you doing? Are you doing the best, go-to s
t when you're in bad situations? No. Then why are you in the UFC? It's two thousand and f*ing 14. You need to be at 'Mom & Pop Fing MMA' in Bismark South Dakota or wherever the fk that is and fight in some small shows. You need to get some seasoning. Some experience. You need to start slow."

"You need to start working on mechanics, have guys like a Henri Hooft or a Rob Kaman going over mechanics with you where you're doing slow motion drills.

"You're throwing left hook, right leg kick and he's going to go, 'No no no, pivot, pivot.' They'll show you over and over again. You should be doing that s
t forever. You shouldn't be relying on simple athleticism and grit and toughness. Dropping your hands and winging punches with your fing chicken neck up in the air. Fk that! No! This is the goddamn UFC. You've got one shot at this. You should do this right. You've got to get skillful."

Can't not agree

I would agree. Although he has been training with Rener for years your first fight cant be in the UFC.

0-0 celebs should have to go through TUF. Heck they made Kimbo do it and he had a whole bunch of fights under his belt.

In Phone Post 3.0

lookoutawhale -

I would agree. Although he has been training with Rener for years you're first fight cant be in the UFC.

0-0 celebs should have to go through TUF. Heck they made Kimbo do it and he had a whole bunch of fights under his belt.

He would bring a lot of eyes to TUF, especially considering it's lack of popularity over the past few years sans TUF20
Could it be too late for them to scrap his debut next year and do it? Or is is to much of a risk for him to possibly lose on tuf before actually competing in a ufc event? Risky money-wise I mean Phone Post

Look at Kimbo. He could have co headlined a pay per view that did 1.5 million views, it probably would have broke the record.

I think people forget how popular he was, more people knew who he was then knew brock. Kimbo put up the second biggest and 2 of the top 5 ratings ever in a mma fight on TV.

CM Punk isn't brock lesnar and he isn't kimbo slice but he will still draw big numbers and it would be a huge mistake to put him on TUF.

Keep in mind TUF is on a network no one has eyes on as well, it wouldn't do near the numbers it would have on spike. It would just be a waste, unless they could somehow revamp the format and convince fox to carry it on the actual Fox network.

DREXp - 
lookoutawhale -

I would agree. Although he has been training with Rener for years you're first fight cant be in the UFC.

He would bring a lot of eyes to TUF, especially considering it's lack of popularity over the past few years sans TUF20
Could it be too late for them to scrap his debut next year and do it? Or is is to much of a risk for him to possibly lose on tuf before actually competing in a ufc event? Risky money-wise I mean Phone Post

I think they could get more out of him viewer wise if they went the TUF route because even if he loses in the TUF houses they can still put him on the main card like Kimbo.

They should Batista on there too since he wants to get in on MMA. Have both of them on there trying to make it and see how it goes.

You can get a more indepth look at who these people are for people that dont know and dont watch WWE and they will have someone to root for or against when the main card time comes.

Was this on his podcast? Phone Post 3.0

I was kinda with Rogan until the training bjj with the best and dropping a 10th planet advertisement.

I think the UFC has a huge opportunity to both capitalize on CM's popularity and to somewhat appease the concerns of fans who are offended that someone with no fights got a contract. They should do a reality series following CM through his preparation process, and air an hour long episode once a week for 4-6 weeks or so leading up to his fight. If it turns out that he is skilled we will see that in the training series and excitement will build for the actual fight. If he struggles, people will enjoy watching him struggle while thinking "I knew this would happen" and then watch the actual fight so they can use it as example in the future when some ignoramus starts in with the "oh I could beat that guy up" Phone Post 3.0

lookoutawhale - 
DREXp - 
lookoutawhale -

I think they could get more out of him viewer wise if they went the TUF route because even if he loses in the TUF houses they can still put him on the main card like Kimbo.

They should Batista on there too since he wants to get in on MMA. Have both of them on there trying to make it and see how it goes.

You can get a more indepth look at who these people are for people that dont know and dont watch WWE and they will have someone to root for or against when the main card time comes.

no TUF. PPV Fight with Punk full training camp for his debut. if he losses on TUF then the excitement kinda goes away to the casuals and the posters who want to see him win/lose. entering TUF most of the fighters have experience fighting outside the ufc and depending on their training up to that point to adapt being outside of their normal training/partners/coaches. Punk is a newbie. better for him to improve in the gym with the people who are going to be there with him in his debut. it works for Kimbo because he already had the millions of tv views/fights outside the ufc. Batista probably did it as a bucket list thing, makes more money with the WWE and should be getting bigger roles since the GOTG movie.

WrestlingSucks - I was kinda with Rogan until the training bjj with the best and dropping a 10th planet advertisement.
Eddie asked him the question.
I doubt he was paid he do so. Phone Post 3.0

Rogan needs to find someone to help him pass those drug tests so he can spinning back kick Punk back to pro wrestling haha. 

lookoutawhale -
DREXp - 
lookoutawhale -

We already knew kimbo could fight and his tuf fight was him getting wrestle fucked, so people still wanted to see him against a striker. The whole intrigue with CM punk now is "can he fight?" and I'm sure the UFC know that everyone is gonna tune in to find out and I'm sure they'd rather people tuned in to a pay-perveiw than see it on tuf. Phone Post

"If you want to be the elite of the elite you're gonna have to start training like an elite if you ever wanna be considered elite"

xsrg95 - 
lookoutawhale - 
DREXp - 
lookoutawhale -

no TUF. PPV Fight with Punk full training camp for his debut. if he losses on TUF then the excitement kinda goes away to the casuals and the posters who want to see him win/lose. entering TUF most of the fighters have experience fighting outside the ufc and depending on their training up to that point to adapt being outside of their normal training/partners/coaches. Punk is a newbie. better for him to improve in the gym with the people who are going to be there with him in his debut. it works for Kimbo because he already had the millions of tv views/fights outside the ufc. Batista probably did it as a bucket list thing, makes more money with the WWE and should be getting bigger roles since the GOTG movie.

who would he fight in the UFC then? Another 0-0 guy or someone thats 1-0 or something?

I dont know if the Athletic commission would allow him to fight someone with a lot more experience.

At least with TUF there have some pretty amateur guys competing on there.

And if CM fights on PPV will this set a precedent for other celebrities? Can any celebrity fight in the UFC for their first fight like a Jose Conseco, or The Rock. Is simply being famous a reason to get your first fight in the octagon? it kind of cheapens the sport in that respect.

Kimbo should be his first fight Phone Post 3.0

Jsteven - Was this on his podcast? Phone Post 3.0

Was on Eddie bravos Phone Post

I fear for CM's chicken neck, as well as his virgin beak.

Joe Rogan is the fucking best Phone Post 3.0

Rogan doesnt get it because he is not a promoter. You see its not about growing as a martial artist or any bull crap like that, its about the MONEY.

In CM Punk's case, the big money fight is his first fight because thats when the gimmick is new. Dana himself told Punk this, and he is right.

For CM Punk's first fight, every fan will watch just because they want to see what happens, we all want to see what he looks like inside the cage, and check out what happens when he gets punched. For the second? Well, thats just a 1-0 or 0-1 crappy fighter we have all seen before.

Now Im not saying CM Punk's second fight, if it happens, wont be big. But it wont be bigger than his first fight unless he somehow wrecks his opponent inside a minute looking like a monster.

CM Punk is a gimmick, an atraction, a sideshow. He is not fighting for any belts, he is getting to contender status, and he is not getting any younger.

So what do you do with a guy who may only fight once in his life? You try to make as much money as possible with that single one fight.