Rogan openly criticizing judging; bad for UFC?

Does it cheapen the sport when commentators openly criticize the judging like that? I think it might.

I can see Joe's point (Nam was robbed) but doesn't it make the UFC look like a minor league organization?

To the average idiot that watches the UFC, they don't know that the athletic commission is the one who runs the refs and judges.  So yes it does make the UFC look 3rd rate when the decision is complete bullshit.

It's great that they are telling like it is.

No, that's good for the sport.

Maybe people will realize he's right and try to do something about it.

hardly makes it look any worse than fighters beating a guy up for three rounds only to lose

Yeah, in an org that can come off as completely absolutist, with a guy thats more or less a dictator at the helm, I think its important that they're honest about stuff like this. It would-be even more frustrating as a fan if they blindly backed horrible judges all the time.

No.

It would be worse if he kept his mouth shut and pretended nothing was wrong. 

Well when Kizer says that there is nothing wrong with the system it's time to put the boy out there cause every hardcore fan knows the system is trash and there are far to many uneducated judges making these decisions.

The system for scoring MMA needs a revamp and the judges making the calls need to be educated about grappling and striking.

The real issue isn't that they always give the wrong guy a win in these situations but us hardcore guys know we have watched a close fight and heard that ONE judge that gives the winner a 30-27 when everyone with a brain knows it wasn't a clean sweep.

So maybe the right guy still wins but that does not excuse the horrible judging when one of them clearly watched the fight from a different universe then the rest of us.

I can't even begin to name how many fights I have watch that had one close round and the others were clearly split and one judge gives a guy all three and even the fighters acknowledge that they didn't win all 3 rounds.

I'm glad Joe put it out there for the average fans cause most people don't know how all of that works and maybe we will get lucky and people will put some pressure on them to fix this issue.

Scarred - It's great that they are telling like it is.

seriously.  casual fans watching need to know whats going on with judging.  the squeeky wheel gets the grease, bros.

No, it's good. Puts more pressure on the judges to get it right if they don't want to get called out.

I was glad to hear him call them fucktards. I'd say he's going to hear about it though. Phone Post

Highlight of that fight was Rogan's rant, he's just saying what the fans are thinking, the judging's fucked.

Are you familiar with Jim Lampley?  He routinely calls out awful decisions in boxing, and it's great for the sport.  You need to call out incompetent buffoons repeatedly.  That Garcia/Phan fight wasn't even close.

BlackRainNinja - Well when Kizer says that there is nothing wrong with the system it's time to put the boy out there cause every hardcore fan knows the system is trash and there are far to many uneducated judges making these decisions.

The system for scoring MMA needs a revamp and the judges making the calls need to be educated about grappling and striking.

The real issue isn't that they always give the wrong guy a win in these situations but us hardcore guys know we have watched a close fight and heard that ONE judge that gives the winner a 30-27 when everyone with a brain knows it wasn't a clean sweep.

So maybe the right guy still wins but that does not excuse the horrible judging when one of them clearly watched the fight from a different universe then the rest of us.

I can't even begin to name how many fights I have watch that had one close round and the others were clearly split and one judge gives a guy all three and even the fighters acknowledge that they didn't win all 3 rounds.

I'm glad Joe put it out there for the average fans cause most people don't know how all of that works and maybe we will get lucky and people will put some pressure on them to fix this issue.

I agree with almost everything here...except you've got to remember a 30-27 score could actually still be an extremely close tossup fight, but you always barely give the edge to the same guy.

...but like I said. In general I agree.

mrgoodarmbar - 
BlackRainNinja - Well when Kizer says that there is nothing wrong with the system it's time to put the boy out there cause every hardcore fan knows the system is trash and there are far to many uneducated judges making these decisions.

I agree with almost everything here...except you've got to remember a 30-27 score could actually still be an extremely close tossup fight, but you always barely give the edge to the same guy.

O yeah it can be for sure, I was basically singling out when we know one guy took round 1 the other took round 3 clearly and round 2 was a toss up then you hear the scores and 2 guys get it right 29-28 and one of them scores it 30-27 you can't really argue with who wins but you can argue with that guy giving every round to one of them when we all know at least one round went to the other guy.

My bad not clearing that up :-)

it can't be any worse than the bad judging that is ruining the sport and i think that as others have called for an open discloser of who these judges are.

they are either woefully incompetent or have nefarious intentions, either way they are unqualified to judge mma

are these boxing diehards who feel judging mma is beneath them and are purposely misjudging fights to sandbag mma or so unqualified they have no clue what they are watching?

all the organizations need to address the athletic commissions before it turns the viewing public off all together

joe rogan was right in his open criticism

white, coker et al need to get involved asap

no.he is paid to observe and articulate. if he didnt express anything he wouldnt be doing his job for something so blatant.

mrgoodarmbar - I agree with almost everything here...except you've got to remember a 30-27 score could actually still be an extremely close tossup fight, but you always barely give the edge to the same guy.

Well that would be my main point here. Forget a moment that human judges can suck like last night. The SYSTEM also sucks. A 30-27 can indeed be a close fight with a fighter winning each round by a very slight margin. And that is a BIG part of the problem.

We've been saying for years a 10-9 scoring system for THREE/FIVE rounds SUCK!!! It works in boxing cause there are in most fights 8, 10, 12 rounds.

It would only work with a more liberal use of 10-8s (clear winning of the round) and 10-7s (domination), heck even a super rare 10-6 (almost KOed/subbed and whipped for the whole time). Close rounds 10-9 otherwise go with 10-8.

For one, it keeps the corners/fighters guessing and going for the WIN, not the JD. No more coasting the last round because you barely won the first two.

In a way, it would create more JD controversy, BUT, it'd be a huge step up IMO, and the fighters, even ahead, would still work hard for the finish, and that's what we all want.

Zamiel - 
jjj2121 -  Are you familiar with Jim Lampley?  He routinely calls out awful decisions in boxing, and it's great for the sport.  You need to call out incompetent buffoons repeatedly.  That Garcia/Phan fight wasn't even close.

This. The first time I saw a boxing PPV was Holyfield-Lewis, and the commentators went nuts at the draw.

"Boxing has the best judges money can buy" - George Foreman