Roger Gracie out of retirement vs Buchecha VID

Roger Gracie comes out of retirement for his final match against the untouchable Buchecha. For those that don’t know who Buchecha is, per BJJ Heroes:

“Marcus ‘Buchecha’ Almeida is widely regarded as the greatest grappler of his generation and arguably of all time in the sport of BJJ. His reputation is backed by his 6 IBJJF World Championship open weight titles, being the record holder of absolute open weight gold medals at the Mundial Worlds.”

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/_L-Ni7bFAHg

I thought Buchecha won the first one. 

One of the greatest matches in BJJ history.

such a instant classic!

KingMartyrJack - 
TexDeuce -

https://youtu.be/_L-Ni7bFAHg

I would like to play hide-the-salami in Kyra Gracie's guard. That is one fine Gracie.

Agreed! She has always been a hottie!

HillboFrateTrane -

I thought Buchecha won the first one. 

It went to a draw, but buchecha definitely was pushing the pace. Roger was mostly training MMA during that time while Buchecha was pretty consistent in the gi. 

The match lasted less than 1 minute once it hit the ground.  Incredible.

a lot of my friends in the community were shocked

it didnt follow the narrative of the new generation pushing out the old

What I love about Roger’s BJJ is that it’s firmly grounded in the fundamentals. Nothing fancy. Just straight up old school BJJ. 

That being said, I thought he was on some serious horsemeat in his last MMA fight…

OGjiujitsu - One of the greatest matches in BJJ history.

why is that. seemed boring as fuck

Impressive

Roger had flu the first time

mindless optimism - 
OGjiujitsu - One of the greatest matches in BJJ history.

why is that. seemed boring as fuck

Because of the impossibility of it. Roger, who had essentially retired from BJJ, shows up after a long layoff and not only beats the younger current champ who’s in his prime (and this can’t be stressed enough, Buchecha wasn’t just the champ, he’s one of the most dominant ever to compete) but makes it look easy. Buchecha had nothing for Roger at any point in the match.

So while the standup portion is admittedly boring, what occurs once it hits the ground is nothing short of extraordinary.

1 Like