Roger Huerta to K-1?

Huerta Unlikely to Appear Again for Bellator Until Fall, Eyes Japan Options:

Sherdog.com

Friday, May 07, 2010 by Jack Encarnacao

BOSTON -- Only two fights into what looked to be a signature run in Bellator Fighting Championships for Roger Huerta, the former Sports Illustrated cover boy is back to the drawing board, pondering adjustments to his style, a K-1 kickboxing fight and rebuilding his stature.

Following a unanimous decision loss in Boston Thursday to game underdog Pat Curran, Huerta looked forlorn and struggled with how to express himself during a post-fight press conference. He looked down the table at Bellator’s lightweight titleholder, Eddie Alvarez, to tacitly acknowledge their potential superfight was off the table for now, jokingly asking Alvarez if they could “still” find a way to meet.

“It’s going to take a while (to get over the loss),” Huerta, 26, whose jumping ship from the UFC to Bellator grabbed headlines in March, told Sherdog.com. “But it’s my job to not go crazy and to get back into the gym and start training, start looking at what I did wrong and not make those same mistakes again.”

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said Huerta would probably not be back in the Bellator cage this season, which ends in June, and is more likely to return in season three, which begins in the fall. There will not be a lightweight tournament that season.

Despite the marquee potential of an Alvarez-Huerta bout, Rebney said Curran’s advancement demonstrated a main tenet of Bellator’s tournament philosophy.

“I’m thrilled that a fighter not a lot of us might have known about was able to use this moment on a national stage and establish himself as a force to be reckoned with,” he said. “It’s proof of concept. This is what I had hoped we would have in place. It will continue that way until they drag me out of my office kicking and screaming.”

Huerta, whose Bellator contract gives him leeway to fight for other organizations with Rebney’s approval, said he’s interested in fighting in Japan, particularly in K-1. While training last year in Thailand, Huerta caught glimpses of K-1 Max stalwarts Buakaw Por Pramuk and Masato and got the itch to try his hand at the high-output striking sport.

“I would love to just go out there and do a K-1 fight and just stand and bang with somebody and all you would worry about is punches and knees and clinch and kicks,” he said. “It would be exciting, and I think that my fighting style would really match up well in a K-1 fight.”

Huerta also mentioned an interest in possibly fighting MMA for the Dream promotion in Japan.

slamming -  My GOD this K-1 Level Striking TM

If Huerta goes to MAX that is all he will be able to see for a couple of months after the fight.

“I’m thrilled that a fighter not a lot of us might have known about was able to use this moment on a national stage and establish himself as a force to be reckoned with,” he said. “It’s proof of concept. This is what I had hoped we would have in place. It will continue that way until they drag me out of my office kicking and screaming.”

This guy sounds awesome.

another one of those "should have stayed in the ufc" deals.. imo

Giorgio Petrosyan vs. Huerta would be hilarious, IMHO.

And obviously I realize that fight wouldn't happen... but just picturing it in my head is a funny thought.

Nagashima would knock Huerta out in R1 and then put his Sailor Moon costume back on and celebrate

Huerta would get KTFO out in K-1.

smoogy - Nagashima would knock Huerta out in R1 and then put his Sailor Moon costume back on and celebrate

Nagashima could probably leave the Sailor Moon costume on while he knocked him out. I can't imagine Huerta beating anyone in k-1

amazing how when a wrestler who likes to strike loses to a better wrestler who doesnt bother to strike, they always try to leave for striking sports... and then get their asses kicked.

Augie Max - 
Huerta Unlikely to Appear Again for Bellator Until Fall, Eyes Japan Options:

Sherdog.com

Friday, May 07, 2010 by Jack Encarnacao

BOSTON -- Only two fights into what looked to be a signature run in Bellator Fighting Championships for Roger Huerta, the former Sports Illustrated cover boy is back to the drawing board, pondering adjustments to his style, a K-1 kickboxing fight and rebuilding his stature.

Following a unanimous decision loss in Boston Thursday to game underdog Pat Curran, Huerta looked forlorn and struggled with how to express himself during a post-fight press conference. He looked down the table at Bellator’s lightweight titleholder, Eddie Alvarez, to tacitly acknowledge their potential superfight was off the table for now, jokingly asking Alvarez if they could “still” find a way to meet.

“It’s going to take a while (to get over the loss),” Huerta, 26, whose jumping ship from the UFC to Bellator grabbed headlines in March, told Sherdog.com. “But it’s my job to not go crazy and to get back into the gym and start training, start looking at what I did wrong and not make those same mistakes again.”

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said Huerta would probably not be back in the Bellator cage this season, which ends in June, and is more likely to return in season three, which begins in the fall. There will not be a lightweight tournament that season.

Despite the marquee potential of an Alvarez-Huerta bout, Rebney said Curran’s advancement demonstrated a main tenet of Bellator’s tournament philosophy.

Huerta, whose Bellator contract gives him leeway to fight for other organizations with Rebney’s approval, said he’s interested in fighting in Japan, particularly in K-1. While training last year in Thailand, Huerta caught glimpses of K-1 Max stalwarts Buakaw Por Pramuk and Masato and got the itch to try his hand at the high-output striking sport.

“I would love to just go out there and do a K-1 fight and just stand and bang with somebody and all you would worry about is punches and knees and clinch and kicks,” he said. “It would be exciting, and I think that my fighting style would really match up well in a K-1 fight.”

Huerta also mentioned an interest in possibly fighting MMA for the Dream promotion in Japan.

madmav -  another one of those "should have stayed in the ufc" deals.. imo

Huerta would be too physical for the guys in K-1.

he would be killed

Art Wanderlei Industries - Giorgio Petrosyan vs. Huerta would be hilarious, IMHO.

Petrosyan would KO him blindfolded using one hand

I would MUCH rather see him fight in DREAM than K1.

More prima donna behaviour.
'I've lost in this org, time to try my hand at something else'

Well... you can argue Diaz and Thompson off the top of my head. They are solid fighters to be sure, but would be mid level in the UFC. Now Tim and Arlovski crash and BURNED within a few fights or so, but made out like bandits monetarily thanks to Affliction's foolishly high salaries. I don't think either in their current state would survive in the top 5 UFC right now anyway. Arlovski at least has a half decent fight coming up.

Issue is if you lose in the UFC, plenty of other orgs will still want you. If you leave the UFC and keep WINNING most your fights you may do very well for yourself. You won't make UFC champion $$, but most of these guys have no chance of being champ. The problem is when you start getting losing in these other leagues, no one is going to want you and your huge contract. You'll be going back to KotC within a few fights.

officedrone23 - Has anyone left the UFC and gone on to better things...that didn't include returning to the UFC?

Schilt

HexRei - amazing how when a wrestler who likes to strike loses to a better wrestler who doesnt bother to strike, they always try to leave for striking sports... and then get their asses kicked.
This was put awesomely.