Ron DeSantis SUPPORTS Gun Control Laws (Red Flag Law)

the simpsons GIF

“if you make a credible threat” …

If you make it credible threat then taking your guns away isn’t the only thing that they can do.

5 Likes

Threatening to kill or injure someone is prohibited by Florida law if that threat is put in writing and sent to the target or relatives of the target. Furthermore, threatening to commit a terrorist attack or a mass shooting in writing is also punishable by law if published for viewing by the general public

1 Like

Anyone convicted of making a criminal threat faces a substantial time in jail or prison. A misdemeanor conviction can result in up to a year in county jail, while felony convictions can impose sentences of five years or more. In some instances, a terrorist threat can result in a sentence that lasts decades. Fines

1 Like

That’s are not the same as red flag laws they want to pass in Congress

1 Like

FL has had so-called red flag laws since shortly after the Parkland school shooting. Desantis had nothing to do with that.

2 Likes

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/politics/2022/06/09/desantis-rebukes-florida-gun-control-proposals-texas-elementary-school-shooting/7556986001/

The right can be just as authoritarian as the left and more effective if they want.

But Ron Desantis is the man and I hope he runs for president.

2 Likes

Red flag laws are fucking useless, they rely on law enforcement doing their jobs, and we all know how that goes.

2 Likes

watch the video, he vocally supports it

I am fine with Red Flag laws as long as they require due process and have an effecient appeal process.

1 Like

I didn’t say he doesn’t support it.

So, someone makes a credible threat – like the shooter in Uvalde made on several occasions – and you think that individual should be allowed to purchase firearms?

1 Like

No I don’t. But it does open up the law for widescale abuse.

Here is how the Dems would take red flag laws to the next step:

Dem:
No mentally ill individual should be able to own guns

Racism is a mental illness

All Republicans are inherently racist

Therefore no Republicans should be able to own guns

Against LGBTQ agendas being taught in school? Mentally ill.
Against CRT in schools? Mentally ill.
Don’t vote Democrat in 2022 and 2024? Mentally ill.
Speak out against mandates? Mentally ill.

6 Likes

So then you support red flag laws.

I understand your point, and yes, I agree the devil is in the details. But it strikes me as extremely disingenuous to say “this person support red flag laws therefore they are bad” without speaking to the details.

Never underestimate the cunning and treachery of a politician.

I never said nor implied that someone supporting red flag laws were bad. I only said it is a law ripe for abuse.

Also, in the end I’m not sure how effective they would really be.

The Buffalo shooter once said in a high school class that his aspiration was to commit murder suicide. He was able to convince them that he was just trying to be funny so it didn’t get in the way of him getting a gun in the future.

I don’t know when red flag laws have been applied.

Part of the issue, which the book Why Meadow Died addresses, is that the community (schools, etc…) need to report things - something that some school administrators refuse to do. Without reporting the law is essentially useless.

… when there is a credible threat, which there are already non-gun related laws to address