Ronald Reagan Created Socialized Medicine in USA

In 1986 Reagan signed a bill that stated hospital emergency rooms cannot turn away any patient regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. 

That's where this healthcare mess started. Because somebody has to pay and it's the citizens who are footing the bill.

Until that law is overturned and hospitals are free to turn away patients who can't pay, healthcare costs will be astronomical.

Thanks Ronnie. Thanks a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Medical_Treatment_and_Active_Labor_Act

Let's reverse it.

^
Medicare/Medicaid.

Ron Paul speaks about health care at length when the was a Doctor before any government involvement.

Health care was cheap and no one was turned away, it was easy for the hospital to absorb the cost.

lol

But this was also before our debt based monetary system via the Fed had destroyed the value of the dollar.

That's actually not an accurate picture, because hospitals can and do turn people away in emergency rooms.

A friend of mine was in the hospital recently. They stabilized her, then told her in order to find out the root cause she'd need a ultra sound, which would have a $600 copay. She didn't have that, she was getting ready to leave when my wife showed up to pick her up. My wife paid the $600 for tests.

Another friend I have is a retired podiatrist. He said there are tons of people, many diabetics, with foot problems that could be treated but ERs won't until it's too late and they amputate parts of their feet.

Sad problem we have in America.

Amnesty and machine gun ban as well. 1986 wasn't the best for him. 

Trust -

It applied only to hospitals that accept Medicare.  Medicare is socialized healthcare, so socialized healthcare existed before this bill.  Medicare was signed into law by LBJ.  

Illegals aren't eligible for medicare and medicaid. But under Reagan's law, they can't be turned away. Reagan turned socialized medicine into law. 

Should health care be a core function of government?

Unpaid hospital bills account for 41 billion a year. The US spends collectively, 3.2 trillion on healthcare a year.

So that accounts for about 1.2% of the total bill.

So no, people going to the hospital that can't pay is absolutely not the reason for our astronomical prices.

The average person in the USA spends 10,000 a year on healthcare. The average person in Spain spends 2500. Why the difference?

The reason for our astronomical prices is price gouging by the medical/ Big Pharma/ etc, as well as paying insurance companies who make a profit.

When you have single payer, the government bargains down the price of services..that's why an MRI costs 10x more in the USA than in Europe. Also you just pay for services, you don't pay for services + insurance companies making a profit.

So why do we have this system? The insurance companies have bought off congress. Look at how much  they spend on lobbying. It's millions and millions. 

Joe O'Brien - 
duckhuntgangsta -

Should health care be a core function of government?

No. I'm all for people suffering and dying. The less government intervention means the more people dying from lack of healthcare and that makes me smile. They're not my problem. Fuck them. Especially children. They played a part in their conception and birth so they're the most guilty and least deserving of benevolence. If they don't die of untreated disease I hope those little grubby fuckers die of starvation. No LINK cards for you you little munchkin freeloaders. Why aren't you mining coal or getting torn to shreds in textile factories? Fuck you.

YESSSSS. FUCK THESE LITTLE LEECHES! WORK FOR IT!!!!

I'm right minded, bizz owner and all, and yes governments overall are sooooo inefficient, bloated, and blablabla. But I absolutely believe some things they should be major regulators and active in, healthcare being of them! Safety, some mandatory vacations, clean water, pollution, roads, army, etc, are others. Kids mining coal or getting torn to shreds in textile factories are indeed great representation of the excess of unbridled capitalism!

"The reason for our astronomical prices is price gouging by the medical/ Big Pharma/ etc, as well as paying insurance companies who make a profit"

It really is the main point. I recall reading here just a few weeks back about a MRI that would normally cost $400 but as it was done in the ER the hospital charged $10,000! That's completely ripping off people in vulnerable position!! Evil and robbery of the highest order. The system is NOT a true free market one. You don't always get to pick the hospital you go to, where/when/how you get injured and such!

Anyhow, that so many people don't give a fuck about others in this issue is troubling to me.

Reagan gets credit where credit is due on this one.

Akkadian88 - 
cruedi - That's actually not an accurate picture, because hospitals can and do turn people away in emergency rooms.

A friend of mine was in the hospital recently. They stabilized her, then told her in order to find out the root cause she'd need a ultra sound, which would have a $600 copay. She didn't have that, she was getting ready to leave when my wife showed up to pick her up. My wife paid the $600 for tests.

Another friend I have is a retired podiatrist. He said there are tons of people, many diabetics, with foot problems that could be treated but ERs won't until it's too late and they amputate parts of their feet.

Sad problem we have in America.

If they stabilized her then obviously they didn't turn her away. The er isn't a doctors office or a clinic. They aren't going to run every test known to man and give every treatment possible. They stabilize people so they don't die and then tell them to follow up with their primary doctor. That's how they're supposed to function. 

As far as your podiatrist friend goes, it's not the er's fault if a person waits until a limb requires amputation before they seek medical treatment. People often wait until they are about to die before going to the doctor. 

Now, you aren't completely wrong. Er's can ban and kick out people. Abusive patients, drug seekers, things like that. Legit medical problems don't get turned away. That's illegal.

I'm not saying it's the ER's fault, I'm stating that some people believe you can walk into the ER for any treatment and get it. That's not true. The ER is not a Dr.s office.

We in America will often spend $$$$ for patients in the ER that would/could have cost $$ if the patient had primary care Dr to work with.

The very first sentence from Wikipedia:
"The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is an act of the United States Congress, passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)."

So, Congress wrote that legislation, as they do with all legislation. Congress was controlled by Democrats at that time. They put it into and Omnibus Budget that contained a whole lot more than just this legislation and Reagan signed it into law. Had he not signed it he would have vetoed it along with a whole lot of other things. Some might call that compromise.

As Truth pointed out, the road to socialized medicine occurred long before Reagan. This act was just another step in the wrong direction.

tbonenum1 - The very first sentence from Wikipedia:
"The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is an act of the United States Congress, passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)."

So, Congress wrote that legislation, as they do with all legislation. Congress was controlled by Democrats at that time. They put it into and Omnibus Budget that contained a whole lot more than just this legislation and Reagan signed it into law. Had he not signed it he would have vetoed it along with a whole lot of other things. Some might call that compromise.

As Truth pointed out, the road to socialized medicine occurred long before Reagan. This act was just another step in the wrong direction.
Thanks, Reagan!

Hippocratic Oath has nothing to do with this : (

Totally true, the love of Reagan, and the election of Trump, lets us know that Republicans are as hypocritical as the Democrats they love to hate.  

sanguine cynic - 

Unpaid hospital bills account for 41 billion a year. The US spends collectively, 3.2 trillion on healthcare a year.

So that accounts for about 1.2% of the total bill.

So no, people going to the hospital that can't pay is absolutely not the reason for our astronomical prices.

The average person in the USA spends 10,000 a year on healthcare. The average person in Spain spends 2500. Why the difference?

The reason for our astronomical prices is price gouging by the medical/ Big Pharma/ etc, as well as paying insurance companies who make a profit.

When you have single payer, the government bargains down the price of services..that's why an MRI costs 10x more in the USA than in Europe. Also you just pay for services, you don't pay for services + insurance companies making a profit.

So why do we have this system? The insurance companies have bought off congress. Look at how much  they spend on lobbying. It's millions and millions. 

Start a non-profit insurance company.  Problem solved.

tbonenum1 - The very first sentence from Wikipedia:

"Congress was controlled by Democrats at that time."

Nope.

Congress, as it was for most of Reagan's presidency, was split. Republicans controlled the Senate, and Democrats controlled the House.

The only time Democrats controlled both sides of Congress under Reagan was 87-88.

tbonenum1 - The very first sentence from Wikipedia:

Sorry bud, whoever gave you this talking point, lied to you.  Presidents frequently propose a bill, draft a bill, and send it to congress for consideration.