Ronda Rousey Reveals One Crucial Mistake She Made in her MMA Career

In just a few short years, Ronda Rousey went from being the most dominant female fighter in the UFC (and arguably in MMA at the time) to a hard fall from grace. “Rowdy” took another shot at reclaiming lost glory in 2016 against Amanda Nunes, but unfortunately, failed miserably.

Without making things official, Rousey walked away from MMA for good shortly after. She also never gave any reasons for her abrupt yet understandable departure, but in a recent exclusive sit-down with Daniel Cormier, she admitted not walking away at the right time.
“It was difficult in both judo and MMA in that everyone else felt that they wanted more from me,” Rousey said.

“In judo, you peak in your mid-20s. I medalled at 21, so I was going to be 25 for the next Olympics. Everyone’s like, ‘Oh, this is it! You’re gonna be the first to win an Olympic gold.’ And I didn’t want it anymore. And I couldn’t do it for everybody else.
“I think that’s a mistake that I made with MMA was when I got to that point where I didn’t want it anymore, I kept doing it for everybody else.”

Rousey says that this “people-pleaser” attitude could be both a key and a hindrance to success.

“I think to be at that top level, you kind of have to be a people-pleaser. You want to please your coach, you want to please your parents, you want to please everybody watching. It’s one of the things that make you excel, but it’s one of those things that… it can be an obstacle a lot of times,” she explained.

“Knowing when is the right time to walk away, it’s got to be your decision, ‘cause not everybody else is going to come to a consensus. And nobody knows what you’re actually going through and what it actually takes.

“You’re, like, a novelty on TV every couple of months. Whereas that’s your everyday and your reality. And I think setting boundaries with that relationship of everybody else and not doing things for them and doing things for you, even though you won’t be understood.

“That was the hardest part — letting go of that need of feeling understood. ‘Cause no one’s ever going to.”

Now 35, Rousey enjoys her life as a first-time mother and a WWE talent. She did, however, speak about a potential comeback fight with fellow women’s MMA pioneer Gina Carano, who did agree that it “could happen” at some point in the future.

Thinking she could strike.

59 Likes

/Thread

20 Likes

Talking shit about Holly Holm, about how she doesn’t deserve to be in there with you? When she was by this time a World champion boxer in multiple weight classes and you took bronze in the olympics?

One of my favorite knockouts.

Fuuuuuck youuu

30 Likes

Head movement!

3 Likes

11 Likes

Getting too cocky?

Thinking she was a pro boxer?

Training with Chocula?

Associating with Chocula?

Being absolutely awful after losing?

Not enough head movement?

15 Likes

Name one woman Holly Holm boxed haha. World Champion haha. Can ANYONE here actually name one person she boxed without looking it up?

2 Likes

Whatever that is it looks like it’s jonesing for its precious.

8 Likes

Rondas Judo Champion Moms

1 Like

Getting coached by count Dracula was the worst thing she did

7 Likes

She obviously dropped the ball at some point, but she had a hell of a run of successes

1 Like

She believed Joe Rogan and decided to strike with a legit striker, and another one after that

2 Likes

I think the physical aspect had a big role to play in her downfall too.

The Success didn’t just go to her head….

7 Likes

Tbf I couldn’t name some of the male champions let alone female - pretty sure shields is actually the only female boxer I know but it’s not my sport!

Well, duh. I know narcissist women (99% of them ha ha) fail to understand that, but we men sure quickly get that part. At least she can mention she got it.

She was so arrogant on top that it’s hard to have any sympathy for her. But at least she understood this - most women never do.

2 Likes

Yeah it was hard to sympathize with Ronda during her downfall because of her diva attitude and some of the stories around her (Burt Watson could have still been ROLLLLLLLIN).

Gina was so much more humble and respectful when the spotlight was on her compared to Ronda too. Different character and values.

4 Likes

Christy Martin

Like Rhonda beat anyone in MMA that had any credentials

1 Like