roommate $$$ help please

Timbo - So either your girlfriend dumped you, and you expect 3 other roommates to share a $3900 fee, or you dumped your girlfriend, and expect 3 other roomamates to share a $3900 fee. In either scenario, they are not responsible for the situation.

And you are surprised they expect you and your girlfriend to pay for the $3900 fee?

It is your fault, or your girlfriend's fault, or both of yours fault.

Your roommates are completely reasonable to push that $3900 fee on you and your girlfriend.

im not surprised, i was just wondering what peoples thoughts were .

So I'm assuming your (and or your ex's ) signature is on that lease. Sucks bro, but it is what it is. Legally you and her are responsible for those fees if you cant find another roomate.

actually all 5 of us signed the lease.

doobie - actually all 5 of us signed the lease.

Then i would advise you check your state laws regarding this. In most states, if one tenant breaks the the agreement, all tenants are responsible. 

IMO whoever is breaking the lease is paying the fee. If you choose not to move out = no fee for you.

If all of you signed the lease then you are defenitely not required to pay every fee by yourself.

What state are you in OP???

donfryesmustache - 

CA

doobie - ok mini frat.

me and my girlfriend share an apartment with 4 others. My good friend and his girlfriend share a room, me and my girlfriend share and one person we got off craigslist. me and my girl broke up and she is moving in january so we either have to break the lease or find a new roommate to help pay rent (college kids).

The scenario is getting nasty and everyone is leaning towards moving out. But my buddy and his girl are adamant about not paying the fee for breaking the lease which is around $3,900. They want me and my girl to pay for all of it because we are the reason this is happening.

My question to the OG is, is this fair? I think that they should pay for some since they agree to breaking the lease anyways. Thoughts and help please!!

I'm not surprised ur in this situation as you can't even count how many people live in the apartment. Phone Post

SlimRoethlisberger - 
doobie - ok mini frat.

me and my girlfriend share an apartment with 4 others. My good friend and his girlfriend share a room, me and my girlfriend share and one person we got off craigslist. me and my girl broke up and she is moving in january so we either have to break the lease or find a new roommate to help pay rent (college kids).

The scenario is getting nasty and everyone is leaning towards moving out. But my buddy and his girl are adamant about not paying the fee for breaking the lease which is around $3,900. They want me and my girl to pay for all of it because we are the reason this is happening.

My question to the OG is, is this fair? I think that they should pay for some since they agree to breaking the lease anyways. Thoughts and help please!!

I'm not surprised ur in this situation as you can't even count how many people live in the apartment. Phone Post

whoops! edited op thanks

How the fuk cant u see its not you & ur ex who are the cause of this dilema? Where is ur common sense mate that becos of ur personal problems u are causing problems for other people? Phone Post

would it matter if before any of this happened the afformentioned roommates said they hated the apartment and would be ok with leaving early? they talked about the idea on and off about a month before me and my girl broke up.

doobie - actually all 5 of us signed the lease.

But we have narrowed down the lease violation to at least 2 of those 5. You. Your girlfriend. Or you and your girlfirend.

Seems the other 3 should not be penalized for your personal relationship.

doobie - 
donfryesmustache - 

CA

Send something like this to your landlord.

Dear Mr. Lecter:?

Until recently, I rented your flat at 78 Oak Street in Monroe. Unfortunately, a job transfer made it necessary for me to move to Harding, some 100 miles away. As I explained in late May, I had no choice but to break my year’s lease on June 1, 20xx. The lease had six months left. I left owing no rent for the time that I lived there.?

I was disappointed to receive your letter dated June 18, 20xx, in which you informed me that you expect me to pay you for the remaining six months’ rent. You stated that you will keep my entire security deposit (two months’ rent) and have demanded that I pay you for the remaining four months.?

May I direct your attention to California Civil Code Section 1951.2, which requires a landlord to use reasonable efforts to rerent after a tenant has broken the lease. As you know, rentals are scarce in this town, and I would think that you could rerent my flat, which is quite nice, fairly quickly. While I am prepared to cover one month while you prepare, advertise, and show the unit, I am certainly not willing to pay further rent on an apartment that you have purposely left empty. ?

Please reimburse me for the one month’s rent that you withheld from my deposit. ?

To be honest with you, would you rather be friends with them or save a couple thousand dollars? All of you are liable, since you all signed the lease.

And if you can get all your roomates to tell the landlord that your ex is the only one breaking the agreement then that might be something.

TryhardNobody - lol @ "might be something"

Well, I'm no real estate attorney, and i didn't stay

at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so./..........

well he my roommate sent me a text saying that hes done talking about it. either i find a roommate by monday or hes turning in the papers to break the lease (we signed them earlier because we were going to turn them in but roommate and girlfriend were unable to find a place. now they have).

sounds ridiculous to me.

Why don't you and the gf split her share of next months rent to buy you a month to find a roommate? Phone Post 3.0

Sounds like the other roommates are looking for a reason to jump ship rather than make it work Phone Post 3.0