Rose blames UG for Piss Poor Performance

The fight was undeniably bad. Esparza and Namajunas combined for just 67 significant strikes over five rounds, with each landing at a rate below 30 percent. Fans booed loudly for portions of the fight and even started doing The Wave, in the absence of anything entertaining to watch. Ultimately, that lack of action worked out for Esparza who reclaimed the strawweight title with a split decision victory. Namajunas, of course, strongly disagreed with the result, saying she believed she won the fight but for Cormier, that only drives home the validity of his criticisms.

“Here’s the problem: if you’re Rose Namajunas, you go home and you are really disappointed because you kind of played chance with your championship, because in those first three rounds, I don’t know how anybody judged it,” Cormier said. “I don’t know how any judge — listen, Jon Anik who is literally one of the smartest people I know goes, ‘The very last scoring criteria is octagon control, which no one ever gets to.’ Tonight, that’s the only way they could have judged those first three rounds and given them to Carla.

“It’s just a game of chance I didn’t quite understand how either corner could feel confident in their advice to their athletes. It was a rough one to watch. And I think that first fight, those takedowns, really froze Rose, because on so many occasions, she’s given us tremendous performances.”

2 Likes

I’m as big of a Rose fan that you will ever meet but that fight fucking sucked. I don’t even know how you score the first round. Like, who feinted better? Terrible fight. Rose earned that loss.

10 Likes

I thought they would have had Rose working with top notch wrestlers the entire camp to sure up her wrestling, and she would be able to compete on the ground. Instead the plan was to avoid any grappling exchange at all costs.

3 Likes

There’s no way they threw this many strikes. LOL

6 Likes

Rose: “She was whiffing at air the whole time. So I thought I won.”

Also rose:

5 Likes

I didn’t realize it was even that many

She threw them none landed
Look at both their faces
Maybe 6 strikes total landed

3 Likes

Pat Barry should just be her BF and stay out of cornering her imo

7 Likes

That is pure delusion.

I used to keep quiet because I’ve always been a fan of Pat’s kickboxing style, but this is 100% absolutely absurd.

She did nothing. She cost herself the title. And then she starts acting like she won?

Delusional. Just like Joanna “Champion”.

8 Likes

Yes , lets not forget this

“I felt like I did the damage, I controlled the fight, and I’m proud of myself because I stuck to the strategy. "

Pure delusion. She did no damage. She controlled nothing.

You cannot improve when you lie to yourself like this.

8 Likes

That “fight” was a disaster. Rose’s post fight press conference was just rediculous. I remember listening to her on the UFC podcast and getting very frustrated with her using the word “like” every third word… and after her press conference interview I was disgusted with her excuses. She needs someone to sit with her to help her articulate her thoughts before she goes out. Then she asks why all of her fights have to be exciting? Why do we (the fans) want her to fuck up her face? She calls that a strategic fight. Laughable. That fight diminishes whatever credibility girls fighting in the ufc has built. It happened with Ngannou vs Lewis… but that fight still had me riddled with anxiety because one shot could end it all. With R vs C we knew even if they landed 6 punches it would take more to end the fight. I would have given the belt to Carla too… not that either should get it. At least Carla seemed to be a little more realistic about the quality of the fight. She didn’t want to win the belt that way…

5 Likes

I think whatever number Anik gave towards the end of the fight, the average ended up being like 1 strike each per minute.

I started hitting the “jump forward 1 minute” button during the second round, and it was like I was watching live. After every jump they were standing there staring at each other.

Did NNKP ever tell them to engage? Seems like he could have tried to jump start things.

Rose acting like she’d been robbed was pathetic. Anyone who can say that performance deserved to win a FIGHT is delusional.

Yea it’s bizarre really. Rose’s corner comments in between rounds that the plan was working, this is what they expected, etc… I can’t understand how any coach, corner man could have co-signed that plan, especially after 2-3 rounds. And have confidence Rose was going to walk away with a win there.

That first loss must have scarred her bad. She and her team were that terrified of engaging. Carla is not that dominant of a wrestler, and there are plenty of people who have shown the blueprint to win against her.

4 Likes

She is definitely very mentally weak.

6 Likes
1 Like

Footwork is the first layer of tdd. Unfortunately, she was moving but not sticking. She also got up from what 2-3 tds which should have had her pressing more afterwards. But she said she kept saying she was slipping when trying to attack. Maybe a few times but not all night.

Her being able to get back up shows her wrestling improvement.

1 Like

Agreed. Fighting smart and avoiding your opponents strength is one thing but I think you’re right, the first loss was in her head.

1 Like