ROTJ Question

Ok, this has been bothering me since I was 9 years old. In the ROTJ scene where the Emperor is talking to Vader about 1 hour into the film, he says "send the fleet to the far side of Endor... wait on the command ship, etc." There are 2 things about this scene that have always puzzled me (for over 2 decades now).

1- There are two guys to the left of the Emperor you see briefly. Both are dressed in royal purple. Now, the Senate was disbanded in Ep IV and power transfered to the regional governor- so they aren't VIPs from the Senate. Who are these ppl? They are priveldged enough to be in the Emperor's entourage and to stand around while he and Vader plan how they will crush the Rebellion. You see them for 10 seconds and then they're gone (I don't recall them in any other throne room scene). These guys must have played some sort of royal in Imperial intelligence, strategic planning, assassination (emperor's hand) or something.

2- The Emperor is walking around using a cane. WTF? When he arrived on the DS II and had to walk from the shuttle to the lift which would take him to the throne room, he was walking just fine. When he has to fight Luke, he's walking just fine. When he has to plot with Vader and walk a total of 25 feet, he needs a cane?!?! WTF

Seriously, this stuff has been bugging me for 2 decades. If you guys can put this to rest, it would mean a lot to me.

MS

"These guys must have played some sort of royal in Imperial intelligence, strategic planning, assassination (emperor's hand) or something."

It would have been cool to see the Royal Guards (guys in red) do something. Instead, they were just set decoration.

I thought it'd be cool if they were used to test Luke's abilities before he met up with Vader and the Emperor in the throne room.

Liyon - "These guys must have played some sort of royal in Imperial intelligence, strategic planning, assassination (emperor's hand) or something."

It would have been cool to see the Royal Guards (guys in red) do something. Instead, they were just set decoration.

I thought it'd be cool if they were used to test Luke's abilities before he met up with Vader and the Emperor in the throne room.

WELL THAT WOULD REQUIRE GEORGE LUCAS TO ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING RIGHT...........WHICH IS PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR HIM TO DO.

They were probably just extras

SW fans have much more thought into these films than George Lucas

Of all the things wrong with star wars, these 2 things should be the least of your worries.

Answers:

1. The 2 guy were probably just yes men that the emperor keeps around to have them tell him how awesome his hair is. When I am emperor, I plan on doing the same.

2. The emperor was traveling so the cane was probay one of those disguised sword canes that James bond villians use. If anyone tried to f*ck with the emperor at the airport while he was on
line at the cinabon, he would unsheath the cane sword and stab them in the eye. One he got to the deathstar he probably wanted to take the cane with him because he didn't want the stormtroopers to "lose" it when they were moving the rest of his luggage.

I remember them being described a long time ago as Viziers. Whatever that means.

Didnt the Emperor use his can when walking out of the Shuttle?

I LIKE HOW STORM TROOPERS HAVE ALL THIS ARMOR ON THEM AND YET CAN GET TAKEN OUT BY A TEDDY BEAR WITH A SLING SHOT..........................LOLOLOL. 

BIGWHITESEXY -  I LIKE HOW STORM TROOPERS HAVE ALL THIS ARMOR ON THEM AND YET CAN GET TAKEN OUT BY A TEDDY BEAR WITH A SLING SHOT..........................LOLOLOL. 

If you play Star Wars: Battlefront II, one of the things the Rebels yell after killing a Storm Trooper is, "That armour worked out real well for you, didn't it?"

1. they were the emporer's personal sex slaves

2. see answer above

The two men are imperial dignitaries.

He uses a cane because Windu fucked him up so bad.