Rousey's Armbar Skill Due to Henry Akins?

OK, so we know that Rousey's armbars are ridiculous, and I recently learned that she is the ex-girlfriend of Henry Akins. Henry is the third American to receive his black belt from Rickson, having trained with Rickson from 2005 forward and running Rickson's academy for several years. Henry is quickly gaining the reputation of being somewhat of a "beautiful mind" of BJJ (he was recently referred to as the "John Danaher of the West Coast" by Scotty of OTM, if I remember correctly), and after taking a couple private lessons with him I think the reputation is well-earned.

I'm wondering if anyone in the know can confirm how much influence he had on Rousey's armbar game. The old judo footage I've seen of her doesn't really show anything special with regard to armbars. Is Akins behind the ridiculous armbars?

That's funny op because OK, so we know that Rousey's armbars are ridiculous, and I recently learned that she is the ex-girlfriend of Henry Akins. Henry is the third American to receive his black belt from Rickson, having trained with Rickson from 2005 forward and running Rickson's academy for several years. Henry is quickly gaining the reputation of being somewhat of a "beautiful mind" of BJJ (he was recently referred to as the "John Danaher of the West Coast" by Scotty of OTM, if I remember correctly), and after taking a couple private lessons with him I think the reputation is well-earned.

I'm wondering if anyone in the know can confirm how much influence he had on Rousey's armbar game. The old judo footage I've seen of her doesn't really show anything special with regard to armbars. Is Akins behind the ridiculous armbars? Phone Post 3.0

Have you seen her mom you goof? Phone Post 3.0

AMartinez20 - Have you seen her mom you goof? Phone Post 3.0

Werd. She's not doing anything with those armbars she wouldn't have learned in Judo.

Can't be this stupid Phone Post 3.0

I re-read the post to see what was so strange or stupid, and I'm still not seeing it. If the answer is "no, she probably just was unusually good at armbars and developed," or "no, she and Akins broke up some time ago . . .," then that's OK, too. I just thought someone from out in Cali might know if Akins influenced her . . . still not sure why the idea that a BJJ blackbelt might have influenced the submission of his ex-girlfriend is strange. Sometimes I think you douches just need to get out of the house a little more often.

Mark Hunter - I re-read the post to see what was so strange or stupid, and I'm still not seeing it. If the answer is "no, she probably just was unusually good at armbars and developed," or "no, she and Akins broke up some time ago . . .," then that's OK, too. I just thought someone from out in Cali might know if Akins influenced her . . . still not sure why the idea that a BJJ blackbelt might have influenced the submission of his ex-girlfriend is strange. Sometimes I think you douches just need to get out of the house a little more often.

There is a big difference between claiming Atkins had an influence on her grappling prowess and claiming he is the one responsible for it.

I'm sure she learned some things from Atkins, just as I am sure she learned some things from Gokor, Judo Gene, Jimmy Pedro, Kayla Harrison, the Diaz brothers, Shayna Baszler and everyone else she has trained with. But at the end of the day Ronda gives the credit to her mom, who used to literally wake her up by putting her in armbars and having her drill escapes and reversals while as she woke. I'm inclined to agree that someone who has trained her since childhood had a MUCH bigger influence on her grappling than a guy she dated for a few months.

Steve4192 - 
Mark Hunter - I re-read the post to see what was so strange or stupid, and I'm still not seeing it. If the answer is "no, she probably just was unusually good at armbars and developed," or "no, she and Akins broke up some time ago . . .," then that's OK, too. I just thought someone from out in Cali might know if Akins influenced her . . . still not sure why the idea that a BJJ blackbelt might have influenced the submission of his ex-girlfriend is strange. Sometimes I think you douches just need to get out of the house a little more often.

There is a big difference between claiming Atkins had an influence on her grappling prowess and claiming he is the one responsible for it.

I'm sure she learned some things from Atkins, just as I am sure she learned some things from Gokor, Judo Gene, Jimmy Pedro, Kayla Harrison, the Diaz brothers, Shayna Baszler and everyone else she has trained with. But at the end of the day Ronda gives the credit to her mom, who used to literally wake her up by putting her in armbars and having her drill escapes and reversals while as she woke. I'm inclined to agree that someone who has trained her since childhood had a MUCH bigger influence on her grappling than a guy she dated for a few months.

Steve, that's why I created a post on a discussion forum . . . to see if anyone had any insight. I don't even know how long they dated. I just know that her armbars aren't like any other judo practitioner I've ever seen, and Akins' armbar instruction is sick. Reading the responses to my post, you'd think I had suggested something far fetched.

Mark Hunter - 
Steve4192 - 

Steve, that's why I created a post on a discussion forum . . . to see if anyone had any insight. I don't even know how long they dated. I just know that her armbars aren't like any other judo practitioner I've ever seen, and Akins' armbar instruction is sick. Reading the responses to my post, you'd think I had suggested something far fetched.

Apparently you can't ask questions on this forum anymore without getting smart ass answers or getting flamed. God forbid the UG had an ACTUAL discussion on mma.

KTwo - 
Mark Hunter - 
Steve4192 - 

Apparently you can't ask questions on this forum anymore without getting smart ass answers or getting flamed. God forbid the UG had an ACTUAL discussion on mma.

Her armbars are very common in judo.

super nintendo - 
Mark Hunter -
Steve4192 - 

Isnt it obvious her mom is the reason behind it? They have armbars in judo but not chokes so obviously her mom was exceptional at armbars. The only thing Henry improved his her bjj skills Phone Post 3.0

"They have armbars in judo but not chokes"

Huh?

Strangles / chokes are very much a part of Modern I.J.F Judo.

No chokes in judo?