Rowing Machine: What is your Opinion?

Is a rowing machine a good workout?

Is it worth buying one to use in my flat?

Thanks in advance.

you gotta get the technique down, if you just start hammering away without proper technique you will fuck yourself up

Technique can be learned and worked at.

Can half an hour get your heart really pumping?

I can't exactly stick a treadmill on my 3rd floor flat.

I gotta say though.

Whenever I have used a rowing machine at the gym I have jumped off after 30 seconds because I can't stand the thing.

It can be a great workout.

Another option would be to look for an Airdyne bike on Craigslist. Those things can give an ass kicking workout too while taking up little space.

An erg or one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-Body-Glider-Rowing-Machine/dp/B000AMUFPS/ref=sr_1_2?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1371070754&sr=1-2

Rowing is amazing, much harder than running and actually develops upper body strength.

harder than running IMO**

What are your goals?

re: technique

Get someone who rows to teach you.  You can get to "ok" fairly quickly.  "Good" will take a while.

Will you enjoy it and do it consistently?  The longest distance I've used a rowing machine was a 5K...and I would rather someone punch me in the face than do that again. 

Technofiend - Is a rowing machine a good workout?

Is it worth buying one to use in my flat?

Thanks in advance.

hurts my back but a buddy of mine swears by it

I'll test them in the gym to see if I can get used to it.

I'll look into an airdyne bike.

However, biking is not a very good workout IMO.

Good workout but hard on the body.

Start slow and build yourself up with it.

Works pretty much your whole body. Phone Post

Technofiend - I'll test them in the gym to see if I can get used to it.

I'll look into an airdyne bike.

However, biking is not a very good workout IMO.

LOL! You haven't tried an Airdyne bike, my friend.

Look it up.

Big fan of the concept 2 rower there are some good machines out there I have had some knee problems and find them easy on the joints. As for the workout its a total body workout I often use it if I have been training my back gives a good blast and stretch. However everybody has to find what works for them. Phone Post