roy jones jr. what happened......

ok lets start..........

1. tarver is a south paw........ever fight a south paw in strictly boxing? its hard they arent conventional people avoid them like the plauge when possible!

2. this was the third time tarver fought roy, maybe he learned anough by the second fight to know what to throw?

3. maybe roy cant make 175lbs anymore and this was just evident.....meaning he was weakened to the point of being a bit slower, a bit more vulnerable!

4. maybe tarver is just that good........he has beaten some good fighters, and more importantly he went 12 with roy, and people thought he won......confidence is a very good tool to have

5. is roy washed up? hardly he hasnt taken any beatings..........yes he was ko'ed.....he is human, bandwagons aside will you still pay or watch if he fights tyson/byrd/klitchko? i know i will!

6. He has been undefeated as a pro....yeah he lost by dq to griffin, but gee...........stupid move after a knockdown and he has a loss! who else even got close to beating him? paz, mccallum, toney, hopkins, delvalle, reggie johnson, david telesco, john ruiz, virgil hill............point is everyone loses, it happens....who thought silva would be as dominant after the belfort fight? or randy after the barnett or ricco fight!

my point is for all the guys who fight they know it sucks to lose whether its bjj, no gi, mma, boxing, kickboxing etc...........fighting is a very unpredictable sport in any form and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose..........fighters arent great because they dominate everyone........fighters are great when they have a better win loss record then most others, or when they put in an exciting effort, and make us all watch! negative comments breed bad rep for our sports!

agreed. Good post.

oh i forgot one very important thing............who was that very famous former fighter training tarver now? wasnt he the same guy who basically transformed arturro gatti into a contender again?

yes buddy is a master mind and people need to rememeber this, hes boxings version of mr. myagi lol

but seriously i hope roy comes back some weight class maybe a fight with jirov or a nice little byrd fight! tarver is fun to watch as well, and i look forward to him fighting someone as well just not eric harding again...............perhaps its time for him to exorcize a demon that is vasily jirov!

Roy just got caught with a very good punch. He made a little mistake and paid for it in a big way. He still has the ability to dominate anyone. In fact he was dominating Tarver like he did everyone else but he got caught. That's all!!!

i'd pick RJJ in a rematch

7. Every body loses sometimes.

I think he may have lost his drive, his hunger. It happens when your on top for that long while living very comfortably w/ their millions. Just like Rocky and that Russian, guy. Hey w/ Mr.t's hunger Roy would still be undefeated. The guy just got spoiled...Its easier to be motivated when your poor and striving to make a name for yourself. Staying on top and fighting off new young hungry lions(defending your belt) is truly the challenge.

Wasa-b has KO'ed the correct with an overhand left, round 2.

Roy just got caught with a good shot, it happens to everyone if they fight enough.

I feel that there's a good chance there will be a third fight. Tarver's no slouch, and it was a great punch. However, I would not call it a decisive win to the extent that those sorts of finishes are hard to repeat (unless your the 80's Mike Tyson or a 70's George Foreman) unless you absolutely have a guys number. The second fight really didn't parallel the first in any way.

I think Jones, Tarver, and the rest of the world want to know if Tarver can do it again.

A rematch will happen...too much money at stake. But I don't expect RJJr will take the fight for a while...I sense his confidence is shaken, even though he'll never admit it to the public.

RJJr is a great warrior...he'll be back, and he'll be ready

your number 1 reason is the best IMO. That and everyone loses because everyone else is good. But the angle a rear hand hook (rare enough punch) coming from a southpaw is not an Angle Roy or any conventional fighter sees much.

When you watch the replay, Roy really didnt even make a mistake at all. He steps outside Tarvers lead leg, throws a nice rear hand, comes back with a lead hook and his rear hand was protecting the side of his head just like it is supposed to. Thing is, when he fights a conventional guy, a hook to that side of his head comes from the lead hand, which comes at a different angle then a rear hand hook. So the punch hit him on the chin while his right hand was up protecting his ear.

Good punch.

1. tarver is a south paw........ever fight a south paw in strictly boxing? its hard they arent conventional people avoid them like the plauge when possible!

True, however, RJJ used several southies in sparring to prepare for this fight.

2. this was the third time tarver fought roy, maybe he learned anough by the second fight to know what to throw?

Uh, kind of. The first time they fought, I think they were in their early teens, and still developing their styles, so this should HARDLY be considered a fight. It was amateur, with headgear.

3. maybe roy cant make 175lbs anymore and this was just evident.....meaning he was weakened to the point of being a bit slower, a bit more vulnerable!

This, I highly doubt. His natural fighting weight is there, and he had to bulk up to go to heavyweight. He indicated he enjoyed fighting as heavyweight more, so I'd look for him to put mass back on and come back as strictly heavyweight. I didn't notice any slowing of his speed. Tarver's southpaw style, combined with the fact that he is a BIG lt. heavyweight frustrated Roy to the point that Tarver would give him problems regardless of RJJ's weight or speed. Tarver's right jab and overhand right frustrated RJJ in the first fight, and by the second round of the rematch, you could see his mounting frustration before the KO.

5. is roy washed up? hardly he hasnt taken any beatings..........yes he was ko'ed.....he is human, bandwagons aside will you still pay or watch if he fights tyson/byrd/klitchko? i know i will!

I'd definitely watch his fights. He doesn't want any part of Toney though...I think if Tarver could put it to him like this, then Toney might give him some major problems. The other thing is this...you can tell that Jones is getting old and out of the sport. Notice what happened to Tyson after prison? One punch, one punch, one punch. Gone are Tyson's and RJJ's days of wicked combinations. That's one of the first signs of a fighter weakening.

What I noticed from both fights is that while Tarver is a damn good boxer, technically he is not as good as RJJ. He has more power, but not RJJ's instinct or speed. What he does have is a style that confuses and frustrates Jones Jr., and if they fought again, the same thing would happen, or they would go to a decision.

If you watch the fight replay Roy had his right foot forward and was stepping back and threw a lead left hook with little power while Antonio threw a overhand left or long hook from the rear hand which landed first right on the Roy's chin and hard!! Good shot!!

good post

He got ktfo that's what happened!!

Tarver was coming in when RJJ threw the counter left hook.

Tarver was already inside by the time the hook made contact.

RJJ only managed to him with the inside of his forearm.

The one opponent no fighter can ever beat is Father Time, he's 35 now. Jones at 29 would wax Tarver. IMO Jones is the greatest pound for pound fighter that ever lived - better than Robinson as a welterweight, better than Duran at 120. Throw out the DQ loss to Griffin and "The Robbery" at the Olympics, and the guy hadn't lost a boxing match in nearly 20 years.

umm Chad, Tarver is also 35.

Good post. I do think he shouldn't be trying to fight at that weight anymore. Everyone has a bad night,props to Tarver for sticking it out and winning #3! Quite an accomplishment to say the least.