Royce award seemed strange?

Did it seem like Royce was basically damned by faint praise in that presentation?!

Ralek said he was the right guy at the right time. Between the lines it almost sounded like Royce, you were not too good, but you were a pioneer. So here is an award.

Well Rener also said that "many of our viewers are not as educated..." So I'm not surprised by anything coming out of their mouths. Phone Post 3.0

^^^ i agree but think they should be more gracious in the award.

Honestly, what have rorion or his kids accomplished in the ring?! They should keep their own accomplishments in mind before criticizing others...

EazyG - Did it seem like Royce was basically damned by faint praise in that presentation?!

Ralek said he was the right guy at the right time. Between the lines it almost sounded like Royce, you were not too good, but you were a pioneer. So here is an award.
Fair assessment realy, Royce was far from the best sports player or vale tudo fighter of his era prior to UFC, he was right for the role Rorion needed him to play. Phone Post 3.0

I love Royce but yeah it seemed very awkward.

Ill say what I said before again, these Gracie brothers need to step back away from the production. Ralek looked completely strange presenting and talking. He should be behind the camera, or at least get some media training and polish your delivery a bit.

As much as I love Rener and Ed, I just dont think they did a great job. I think they run the risk of this being to ra ra gracie and that could alienate people. And Im pretty much ra ra gracie lol. I think they need more professional media people that know BJJ or grappling who are detached a bit from the family.

I didn't get that impression at all. He seemed very complimentary, and saying "right guy at the right time" isn't an insult. You are looking too hard for Gracie drama, sometimes a compliment is just a compliment and you don't need to try to "read between the lines" of every statement.

JSho - 
EazyG - Did it seem like Royce was basically damned by faint praise in that presentation?!

Fair assessment realy, Royce was far from the best sports player or vale tudo fighter of his era prior to UFC, he was right for the role Rorion needed him to play. Phone Post 3.0

^^ I agree with the assessment, but that just seemed disrespectful.

Carlson probably had 10+ guys that would have done better than Royce in the first couple UFCs, like Cassio Cardoso, and Rickson certainly would have done better.

But that isnt my point. If you invite someone for a special award as a pioneer, you should treat them with respect. Skip the backhanded compliments. Be gracious and let Royce be king for the day.

Maybe its just Ralek being a jerk? Maybe some jealousy?

I am not a real Royce fan but he was the first pioneer that stepped the fuck up and fought some tough dudes. He put it all on the line. For that I definitely respect him and think he deserved better from his 'family'. Am I missing something?

JSho - 

yeah Ive been harsh on Ralek since I heard his buddy BS - Brenden Schaub was put in the event. Ive been critical of him after the event too because he didnt do a good job in front of the camera either.

But I didnt think he was disrespecting Royce. I think he (albeit with a misshapen delivery) was trying to emphasize that Royce did great things despite not being or appearing to be a traditionally imposing person/fighter. I dont think he meant any disrespect at all.

Ralek is just a really socially awkward guy I don't think he does it on purpose.

So we should just write it off to Ralek being socially challenged and learning to be a public figure?

I guess as long as Royce didnt feel disrespected....

would you apply this explanation to insulting Eddie, too?

I think Inside BJJ should do the Metamoris commentary next time around. It would be quite funny. Phone Post 3.0

ralek put on a great event. some really good matches. don't flame him for his abilities with a mic.

ralek trained with Royce for a year, before granddad gave him his black belt at Royce's house. ralek wanted to give an award to Royce. even if it came off awkward, the intent was there.

as far as the eddie bravo comment, ralek is still learning how to promote. he got everyone talking about metamoris 3.

yes easyg...ralek is just learning how to be a public figure.

sunderground - Should write it off to Ralek not being very smart. Think he surfs alot and smokes too much.

Haha what does surfing have to do with it? That comment cracked me up Phone Post

EazyG - 
JSho - 

^^ I agree with the assessment, but that just seemed disrespectful.

Carlson probably had 10+ guys that would have done better than Royce in the first couple UFCs, like Cassio Cardoso, and Rickson certainly would have done better.

But that isnt my point. If you invite someone for a special award as a pioneer, you should treat them with respect. Skip the backhanded compliments. Be gracious and let Royce be king for the day.

Maybe its just Ralek being a jerk? Maybe some jealousy?

I am not a real Royce fan but he was the first pioneer that stepped the fuck up and fought some tough dudes. He put it all on the line. For that I definitely respect him and think he deserved better from his 'family'. Am I missing something?

for sure, they should have shown Royce more respect.