Royce Gracie - in GIFs

ttt

ttt

It was all so new.

Lol @ this guy beating Kerr.

ttt

Royce was tough as hell. A lot of those early fights proved jiujitsu “works” by showing royce catch an armbar or whatever after getting mauled and battered for a long time before. What an advertisement, as if the average person could take half that much punishment from Kimo and defeat him with bjj. Just like many of his fights showed how well bjj can work, a lot of others also showed how much strength and size also matter(despite the bs commentary of rorion pretending thats not the case)

Imagine the pressure on him for that first UFC. Had to have been immense.

1 Like

It was totally different. MMA today is a sport with professional athletes. UFC back in the day was a freak show exhibition reality show. Nothing today compares to the novelty and pure spectacle of the early UFC and Pride days.

2 Likes

I think that was also due in part to the mini-controversy in the Shamrock fight. Ref missed Ken’s tap and from then on Royce held his subs longer.

2 Likes

Didn’t royce catch a punch from Hackney when Royce was on his back? That would be a great GIF.

Thanks for posting that. Man Royce put a beating on him.

ttt

ttt

Royce’s entire fight with Ken was so short it could be made into a gif

Gracie stomp was unstoppable

Matt-Hughes

ttt

@Soup

And others that have chimed in with a shot of “perspective.”

The thread reminds me I have a magazine I need to get out of storage box and put in a frame or similar.

It is basically a promotional magazine advertising the UFC, I believe between UFC 1 and UFC 2.

Has a bio or introduction of each competitor. I recall Rickson is listed instead of Royce.

An image from a UFC 1 fight is on the cover, IRCC it is Royce on top of Shamrock.

Years later Royce signed the cover while I was at a seminar.

I can tell you characters this, getting that magazine and reading about the concept/rules and then the bio on fighters seemed a bit magical.

I was not sure if the event or concept was real or if legitimate. I started asking friends for their opinions and my older brother had read an article or 2 on BJJ and possibly Chuck Norris description of training or meeting the BJJ gang.

Needless to say we were primed and ready for a viewing gathering for UFC 2. For a bunch of nerds and misfits that were not college football zealots it was nice a time of a bunch of oddballs from different circles coming together and starting down a different path in training and friendship.

3 Likes

Post a picture of your framed magazine when you get it done! :smiley:

1 Like

My 8X10.

1 Like