Royce Gracie talks history, future

There's many, many other fights out there besides a 3rd Shamrock fight...........

If anything, maybe Royce VS Frank Shamrock.

Royce VS Hughes

Royce VS alot of fighters

Royce VS Ken, HAS BEEN DONE ALREADY!!!!!!!!!

They both need to do other things now..........

(fight other fighters)

How about Royce/Kimo? No ponytail this time. Royce/ Hendo. Royce/ Bustamonte. Lots of good potential fights out there.

So many great fights that is true. I think Royce really does want the Akibono fight - which is just nuts - But he wants to climb a mountin (pun intended) that he has not climbed before.
More important however I'm really excited to see what comes out of the Gracie camps in the future.

The Shamrock thing would be interesting. I would be happier seeing him fight in his weight class or very, very far out of the weight class (ala Akibono)
He made his name being the little guy who wins the fights - But I think todays game size is too much of a factor.

ttt

After talking to Royce do you look at BJJ any differently now Mike?

I remember you not being a big fan of the style in the past.

Royce was champ when there were no weight limits. He was the only "small" champ of those days. No one can ever do what he DID!!!

Those who hate Royce, hate themselves and have pathetic lives. Royce will always be THE man and Randy is right there also. Those two are a cut above.

Royce, Thanks for it all, what a ride it has been!!!

Not sure what you mean Dudley - I have never looked down on BJJ. The only point I have ever tried to make is that BJJ was not the end all and be all of grappling. No individual art is. Sometimes BJJ is seen as the only thing you need and I disagree. Someone this has been taken to mean I hate BJJ.

Hell Brandon just won a fight using a straight up BJJ armbar. My guys have won many many matches using techniques from BJJ. They have also won using techniques from Catch, Boxing, Sombo and so on.

Talking to Royce more then anything re-enforced that belief. We will all be doing better when we stop promoting anyone specific style. Once you give something a name you also give it limits.

Royce is a cool guy to hang with, very humble, and just a nice person. I can't wait for him to come back down here to Florida....
Now, I would not like to see Royce fight Ken, Kimo, or any other big guy like that. He's already proved that point!! I want to see him fight one of the top fighters close to his weight, like BJ PEN or GENKI SUDO!!! That would be AWESOME!!!

ttt

Great post Mike.

I agree 100% mike,alot of people think that BJJ "invented" submission grappling while other Styles like Judo,Catch,Sambo and wrestling were not given thier due credit.

I never heard you "bash" BJJ personally,i thought i remember someone posting an old interview or something that was written by you were there was a commment about comparing BJJ stylest to high school cheerleaders on prom night jumping to thier backs right off the bat.(good shit btw)

And i know what you mean about Brandon,i have been on the recieving end of his BJJ locks in the past.:)

I have often advised against jumping to guard first off in a fight. Although I have advised fighter do that very thing. When Foxworth fought Sonny Leong I told him to freeze Sonny, Clinch and pull guard. It worked great.

But not the typical advice I would give. Of course no two fights or fighters are the same - So you keep an open mind.
Anytime I have made an absolute statement concerning MMA I have been proven wrong. Live and learn.

Thanks for the post

"the ufc should push for ken x royce III for japan"

Correct.

Why didn't this ever happen in PRIDE?

The Baron.

TTT

Baron - the Japan show is off for the time being.
I would like to see Royce in K-1 - If for no other reason I really want to see K-1's MMA really take off and I think Royce would help that happen.

ttt

???

We really had a huge week with this show - thanks for everyone who listened.
This show gets archived on Wednesday

ttt

ttt