Royce vs. BJ Penn-BJJ skills??????

On the UFC special last night someone said (DANA?, not sure)that Royces BJJ is as good as BJ Penns.

opinion??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I think Royce's bjj skills for MMA are as good as anyone.

that was said when discussing penn vs. hughes

penn submitted hughes and royce's bjj is as good.....

I dont think there is any question who is the better BJJ player. Penn is a BJJ world champ. Royce hasnt competed much in BJJ but when he did we saw what happened against Wallid.

What Saucy said.

ttt

ttt

ttt for my opinions

at the gracie academy they train months with out the gi. like royce said " whats he going to do". royce has fought bigger stronger more talented fighters.

BJ would have absolutely destroyed Tokoro. Systematically.

I would consider Royce much more knowledgeable re: BJJ in BJ. That doesnt' mean he can beat him as BJ is a superior athlete.
Royce knows more though.

Helio knows even more but I am pretty sure BJ or matt Hughes would beat him.

bj has better jiu-jitsu.

I dont think there is any question who is the better BJJ player. Penn is a BJJ world champ. Royce hasnt competed much in BJJ but when he did we saw what happened against Wallid.

now thats a smart post

"royce has fought bigger stronger more talented fighters. "

Bigger, yes. Stronger, yes. More talented? No f*cking way. Hughes is more talanted than any fighter Royce has ever fought, including Sakarabu in his prime.

"Hughes is more talanted than any fighter Royce has ever fought, including Sakarabu in his prime."

Are you joking? It might be easy to forget how damn good Sak was because of his recent performances but in his prime he was the man.

saku would have annihilated hughes if saku was in his prime, better subs, chin, standup, and weight. it would get ugly fast.

but bj;

1) has faster more agressive bjj, which creates openings. royce is slower and waits for an opening. the exception was the saku fight, where he was more agressive.

2) bj penn was a much better standup fighter than royce and hughes, which prevented hughes from dictating the fight. his stand up makes his bjj more effective.

3) that being said, royce has an excellent chance of winning. i doubt hughes will knock him out. i think royce would actually do well to silva hughes (clinch and knee) because of his reach advantage.