Royce Vs. Yoshida

I just saw on the UG that the fight is on for December. Someone posting as Royce Gracie with a green name confirmed it. I was unable to find the exact date.

All I can ask for is a clean resolution to this match, one way or another. I'll be cheering for both of them.

I think its Dec 31/03

Yoshida by okuri eri jime in round 2.

Royce will win this one if they make the match long enough...Yoshida gasses pretty hard,I believe Royce will catch him..

Yoshida went a very tough full match against Silva, and didn't gas the first time he fought Royce. He's still in decent shape form the MWGP, and will probably work on his cardio a bit. IMHO, it goes like this:

1) There is no way Royce can stand up with Yoshida. Silva has MAD striking skills from the clinch and didn't finish Yoshida. Royce is simply going to get chucked to his back.

2) Royce cannot sweep or submit Yoshida. Again, see their first match. Yoshida has also had much more time to work on his matwork to defend anything unusual Royce might try. (i.e. - leglocks)

3) Yoshida is naturally larger and stronger than Royce.

4) Yoshida has been training and fighitng for a few months now, whereas Roycce has been teaching seminars. I don't think 6 weeks of training is going to let Royce shake off the ring rust, and I don't think that he became a better fighter by flying and teaching.

However, I don't think that Yoshida is going to be able to finish Royce either, as Royce is very tough to GNP or submit.

I would pick Yoshida via JD.

He ws sucking wind like a bashee in his first fight with royce and was in horrible shape for a world class athlete...His conditioning is the reason he lost to Silva, IMO...

"There is no way Royce can stand up with Yoshida. Silva has MAD striking skills from the clinch and didn't finish Yoshida. Royce is simply going to get chucked to his back."

I doubt he will, he will go there on his own accord to avoid being thrown there:) What does Silva have to do with this fight?

"Royce cannot sweep or submit Silva"

How do you know?

"Yoshida is naturally larger and stronger than Royce."

True

"Yoshida has been training and fighitng for a few months now, whereas Roycce has been teaching seminars. I don't think 6 weeks of training is going to let Royce shake off the ring rust, and I don't think that he became a better fighter by flying and teaching."

Royce has been doing it for 20 years..We can all have ring rust but I dont think that will be a concern as Royce is still much more experienced than Yoshida when it comes to fighting in a MMA enviroment.

"However, I don't think that Yoshida is going to be able to finish Royce either, as Royce is very tough to GNP or submit."

I dont think Yoshida can tap Royce either, no one has. Royce fights with Samarai spirit..I think he would rather die than admit defeat..I guess depending on how you look at it, you can never lose when you think this way...Because even in defeat you have been victorious over your own fear...

Not like Yoshida hasn't been doing judo all his life. S what does it matter how long Royce had been doing it.

Even though Yoshida's striking isnt that great, he lasted against Silva. Henderson was the last to go the distance with Silva, and that was almost two years ago. Yoshida wont be afriad to stand and strike, Royce wont want to. Yoshida know where Royce wants to go and can dictate where the fight will be fought.

"Not like Yoshida hasn't been doing judo all his life. S what does it matter how long Royce had been doing it. "

Because sport judo and submission sports are different games...

Q bone - I said Silva when I meant Yoshida. :-P I have edited the post. Yoshida/Royce one says alot to me. I don't think Yoshida was that tired at the end of it, but maybe I need to watch the fight again. I don't see either guy tapping, and I think Yoshida can dominate position. Perhaps you're right about cardio being Yoshida's weakness, but he will have top position, he can always stand up. Let's face it, buttscooting almost never wins fights, and Yoshida can force Royce to either buttscoot or be thrown (exceptions being Renzo/Taktarov, Bohlander/Bustamante).

When they first fought, everyone thought Yoshida was going to get subbed within a minute of hitting the ground because Judo guys are supposed to suck at newaza. Royce couldn't catch Yoshida then, and I don't think he will now that Yoshida has had more time to get used to the BJJ game.

I just hope someone cleanly defeats the other one. I thought their last fight was a great one up until the ending.

The no JD is the way for Royce to make sure there wont be a lost. I do think Yoshida will have the upper hand but I do not think he can submit Royce.

What I guess will happens is Yoshida will tried to throw, Royce hanging on and pull guard/butt scoop, Yoshida maintain control but couldnt finish.

Their ground works are both exceptional, some will say Royce is better (may be true) but I think Yoshida will do just fine defensively, so I guess they sort of cancel each other out here. Stand up of course belongs to Yoshida but I dont think he can knock Royce out :)

Stamina in favor of Royce...so its everyone' call!

My 2c-

If Royce wears a gi he will loose. He'll either be bloodied up from strikes on top and throw the towel or he'll be choked out. I think Yoshida is about 30 lbs heavier than Royce and has better standup (in terms of throwing and striking).

The only way Royce dealt with his throwing power in the first match was to grip from the outside and stay loose. In this match Royce will have to clinch tight if he wants to avoid getting KO'd. Yoshida throws an ugly punch but it looks like he hits hard and has a good chin. Obviously if Royce gets in a tight clinch with Yoshida he'll get tossed.

I wonder what Royce's strategy will be this time?

Yoshida will win. Even if the fight is declared a draw, it will be obvious that Yoshida was the better fighter that night. Race horses and fighters, always go with the one that is showing improving form.

You're an idiot chokemasta. What were Royce's last 5 fights?

I'll name them...

Yoshida
Sakuraba
Takada
Shamrock
Severn

Only Takada could slightly fit your description.

I don't get on with Quincy and in this case I actually believe Yoshida has a bigger chance than Quincy is giving him (gasp! A BJJ guy thinks a Judo guy could win and a Judo guy thinks the BJJer will win!) but Quincy's desciption of the fight seems pretty good to me.

Yeah, cos Royce was the one stalling in Royce vs Shamrock. Idiot.

Did you even watch Sakuraba vs Royce? Your realise that this fight is considered a classic? How would that be possible if Royce "clung on to dear life and did zero"?

Vs Yoshida, that was a competitive fight up til the stoppage, Royce had a few submission attempts against Yoshida, inclusing a footlock that was very close.

You're an idiot and you're trying to re-write fights to prove an unprovable point.

I watched all the fights you guys mentioned. IMO I think yes, Ken and Royce both stalled in the fight, he got owned by Sak. He did not mounted any successful attack. For Yoshida, the footlock is the only point in the whole fight that he is having an edge. Even without the shitty stoppage, I doubt whether he could reverse position or submit Yoshida.

I heard from one of Royce students that this will be his last fight, I am sure he will give it all that he has. Regardless of who wins I am sure it will be a great fight.

I think Yosh will win especially after seeing the Silva fight. Strikes won't surprise him as much. As far as stamina and experience is concerned Yosh has faced world class elite competition much longer than Royce and that's a fact. To fight at that level you have to have stamina and a lot of heart. I like Royce and bjj and judo are pretty similiar and Royce is pretty sneaky but I don't think that will help him. By the way....I still think Royce was playing possum in their first fight and that's dangerous when someone is strangling you.....

You know....if Royce trains with Rickson he may be a little more trouble for Yosh.

My prediction:

Royce will pull guard to avoid the throw or punch, and stall from his back to avoid the GnP or pass. The match will go the distance and be declared a draw.

Since Yoshida is bigger, the Gracies will claim this as a victory.