royce's next fight?!?!

as you all know, royce is scheduled to fight Yoshihiro Akiyama. are you guys interested in this? i think it will be pretty exciting. royce will be on his back for this fight and will have to deal with eating some major bombs. this should be very interesting.

Actually, I didn't know it because I haven't followed MMA in awhile. Probably an ignorant question but is Akiyama any good in MMA? I'd think he'd be pretty tough with experience.

Royce will do the same to Akiyama as he did to Yoshida.

Yeah, that's exactly what will happen, stay tuned!

Vinyasana, you must do yoga.

Ben

im dont care much about who royce fights or why. i dont care much about who Akiyama or Yoshida fight or why. the judo guys who are competing in Pride are all retired, unable to maitain their positions at the top of the judo world, so they have gone to the circus for a paycheck now that they cant get them from competitive judo and have outed themselves from the AJJF for life.

there sint much else to say... what is funny though is how MMA fans think it is proof of something then their heroes, who are at their prime after training for decades to do MMA, feel as if it is a huge thing to beat up judo guys who have barely trained in it and are well past their competitive primes.

sorry, but NOG in his prime would never stand toe to toe with Nastula in his. it isnt a matter of judo or bjj or striking or not.. its a matter of talent and toughness---nastula was the very, very best in the world's premier combative sport for half a decade... its simple logic.

when you get a top, world level judo in his prime to quit judo and go into MMA.. then ill have some real interest.

so youre waiting for someone to out themselves from the AJJF while in their prime to take part in the circus act?

i think all the recent and notable Judoka competing in MMA are a testiment to Judos effectivness.

most of them are doing very well and those who havent are showing improvment.

Akiyama ran through 2 "MMA" fighters. i mean their cross training didnt serve them at all against him.

Nastula impressed many with his performance against Nog.

Yoon Dong Sik lost miserably against Sakuraba but showed tremendous change for the better against Takimoto.

Takimoto is one scrappy fucker.

Nakamura is probably the key.

Yoshida showed everyone how tough if nothing else former elite Judoka really are.

"im dont care much about who royce fights or why. i dont care much about who Akiyama or Yoshida fight or why. the judo guys who are competing in Pride are all retired, unable to maitain their positions at the top of the judo world, so they have gone to the circus for a paycheck now that they cant get them from competitive judo and have outed themselves from the AJJF for life."
LOL...I'm sure they would love to be relugated to the world of sport judo instead of testing their art in real combat situations. Sport Judo is SUCH a joke its not even funny. Most judoka are so lost w/o a gi in combat situations its not even funny...

"Most judoka are so lost w/o a gi in combat situations its not even
funny..."

You'll have to tell this to the wrestlers who come into my MMA school
because they are tired of getting thrown around!

:-D

You are correct Josh.

One example of a prime judoka going mma is Fedor and he might be the baddest of all time @ mma.

In this age of mma a good fighter utilizes judo, wrestling, boxing, muay thai, etc. etc. etc. but it is all combat judo to me.

tapout... you are a moron. too stupid to even realize how dumb you are.

when are you EVER going to get into a REAL COMBAT situation without any clothes on??????

mma is a SPORT. albeit a more brutal one than most--including wrestling, judo, kurash, MT, or whatever else, but that doesnt make it anything other than a sport. if it was meant to be a real fight, it wouldnt be MMA, it would still be NHB and they wouldnt have it on an elevated floor, it would be on a wood/concrete floor or outdoors or in a small room where real fights and combat happen. and none of the guys would be naked.

idunno about you, but i never got into a fight with a guy in tighty-whiteys on. not even in gym class.

and, further.. do you also think wreslters or MT guys or anybody who simply enjoys their sport for their sport cares about testing it against others??? 99% of them might talk about it in fun and jest, but none of them would really do it.

truth is, you are an idiot. i know i said it before, but its true. if you want to make blanketed statements about judoka, or anybody doing anything in general, you should be willing to buy your plane ticket someplace and put your ass where your mouth is.. i know a ton of guys who are just judokas who'd make you eat your own peanuts within 5 minutes flat.

There is a magazine in Japan called "judo" (or something like that, forget now), and I got a couple (before the novelty of not being able to read shit, but still buying a judo monthly from a newsrack wore off)), and Yoshida was on the cover of the first one opening up his dojo...

and this after he had gone to Pride to fight Royce the first time...

so I'm not sure how deep Yoshida's divorce from the official judo scene is...

even Kosei Inoue has been a guest of honour at Pride events before and did a paper on MMA and judo when back in uni (remember, they study "judo" ie. physical education as their degrees...).

Now, I agree, until we see competitive judokas in their primes, regularly entering MMA, it doesn't mean as much (ditto for boxing, wrestling, etc.). So far, only BJJ really acts as a feeder sport for MMA the way some wrestling styles act as feeder sports for the three Olympic wrestling styles (judo, freestyle, greco).

End of the day though, I'm more interested in judo than MMA though. Besides, if Saito vs. Yamashita was to happen now, we wouldn't care as much. Time to move on in other words.

Pretty harsh statements from a respected individual like yourself Mr. Resnick. I am making no blanketed statements about judokas as I am one. That being said, I have found that most judo guys I have trained with give up position way to much for MMA. Its taken me a while to give up my shitty judoka habits and learn how to really fight. I do however LOVE true judo. Not the watered down sport shit that is being perpetuated nowadays. I find it quickly becoming the TKD of the grappling arts."and, further.. do you also think wreslters or MT guys or anybody who simply enjoys their sport for their sport cares about testing it against others???" To answer your question, yes, a true warrior would.

oh god when will it end?

tapout. you are an idiot. "a true warrior would"

hmph.. i guess you think that the only way to be a warrior is to go out there and get into MMA then??? i guess people who train full time, brawl every day of the week, give up decent jobs, starting families, having nice things in life and still suffer thorugh injuries, surgeries, rehabs, funding issues, high's, low's, exhaustion, and all that goes along with the life of trying to be a top amateur athlete just arent warrior enough for you, huh?

MMA is a SPORT you nit-wit. you arent anymore a warrior than i am, you just picked a different sport to compete in. if you want to become a "true warrior", in the way you are trying to make it sound, then go start doing backyard brawls without gloves, without a padded floor, without a ref to protect you when things go bad. or, join the army.

MMA:

has judges. has rules. has illegal techniques. has time limitis. has a ref to stop/start/protect athletes. has a padded surface. has a defined space limit.

lets compare that to:

Judo/Wrestling/Golf/football/soccer/football/hockey
have judges. have rules. have illegal procedures/techniques. has a ref/official to start/stop/protect athletes. have padded surfaces or padded athletes. have defined space limits.

WOW! imagine that.

"you arent anymore a warrior than i am, you just picked a different sport to compete in." Never said I was anymore a warrior then you are. And I do compete in the same sport as you, only because its the fastest way to get promoted. I choose to do MMA because I want to show everybody what TRUE judo can do, w/o all the silly rules. I love Judo, but hate sport judo. Same way w/ sport BJJ (although I like it much more than sport judo, you get to continue after a takedown or throw. WOW!) Now, to come on here and brand me as an idiot, when I have the utmost respect for you and what you have done for judo really brings me down a notch. I thought maybe you would be able to handle a civilized arguement better than that.

Josh makes a good point in his last post. I have a lot of friends, some of whom that I have coached, that have fought and consistantly won in MMA. These same guys get destroyed in jiu-jitsu and judo tournaments. It's a different sport and the martial arts technique and conditioning in my opinion is WAY higher in even local jiu-jitsu and judo tournaments. Not everyone wants to fight under MMA rules for various reasons so it's a fallacy to think that the best martial artists or "warriors" as you say, are found in MMA.

I never meant to infer that MMAers were more warriors than anybody else. Sorry if my point came across in that way. All I am saying is that right now, legally, MMA is more the total combat sport in that it mimicks a true fight scenario. Technically we could go on foreva on this as the TMAers hop in and lay claim to their arts! Maybe that is the beauty of the whole thing. No one art is totally superior to the other.