Royler's Sub Wrestling Book

I am usually not a big fan of instructional books because I think it is hard to get a move across and I have also tended to find that most books on bjj stick to very basic techniques most experienced people know.  Anyway I came across Royler/Kid Peligro's no-gi book and I have to say I was impressed enough to buy it for $30. 

The layout of the book is very professional and the pictures are all done in color with very good details of the parts of the moves.  Now a good portion of the moves are fairly standard but I was actually surprised to see some new moves I have not come across and some details that can certainly help my no-gi game.  I wouldn't say this book was as useful as Eddie Bravo's but unlike most instructional books I would actually recommend purchasing it if you are into the sub. wrestling side of jiu-jitsu.

This really is a great book

On a related topic- what pissed me off about Grappling Magazine was that they would just reprint a few pages from that book (and others), in every issue.

However, I guess it was good for people who didnt have the book in the first place...

"I wouldn't say this book was as useful as Eddie Bravo's but unlike most instructional books "

Is Royler's book better for 90% of the read until the last few pages where Eddie's takes over and brings it home ? :)

I wasn't really that impressed with the Royler book, although it was very well produced - with good written explinations and details highlighted.

It just didn't really do much for me.

Also too much of it was taken up by takedowns , now we all know Royler is a great submission grappler - but not really renowned for his great takedowns.

Of course Eddies book is the sh!t.
I also really liked JJ Machados Bleack Belt techniques book, can anybody tell me if his second book is of the high standard?

I am aware of his Judo BB and I am sure he has great takedowns, but I was just a little suprised to see so much space in a Royler book devoted to takedowns.

Opash,

I agree.  The takedowns weren't my favorite part.  I especially didn't like the inclusion of some Gracie self-defense moves which have never worked in competition.   

Can anybody tell me if the second JJ Machado book is as good as the first?

The second JJ book is more about the bottom game with some basics, half guard stuff plus a few more bits and pieces.

The first, BB techniques was great, one of the best.

The second was not as good.

The Royler Gracie book is very good - it was the first Kid Peligro book that I got. It does cover a lot of basics. I do prefer the JJ Machado books because of the variety of techniques. There are a lot of moves there that I've never seen before.

I like both of JJ's books because he shows the real shit and gives true pointers that can greatly improve your game = plus I am a purple under him so I am a bit biased and lucky.

"Is Royler's book better for 90% of the read until the last few pages where Eddie's takes over and brings it home?"

That's very funny!

" I especially didn't like the inclusion of some Gracie self-defense moves which have never worked in competition."

Maybe not in official competition, but don't you think Royler has pulled those moves off successfully in informal competition? Whether or not he has used them to win an official match, if they are part of his game, I reckon it's all well and good for 'em to be included in a book of his techniques.

Anyway, Happy May!!! B]