Roy's comments on awareness

Here are some of Roy's comments about awareness he posted on the jiujitsugear expert forum.

I cut and paste and posted here some that those who don't go to that forum may have a chance to read what he said.

Once again some good points.

"With a high level of awareness, you can minimize the potential of them turning into complete disasters. When you have that high level of awareness to people and your surroundings, you are more confident about acting first rather than reacting (and being caught off guard). Knowing and identifying potential threats (or should I say "The more common types of threat") on and around the subway is more important than knowing which techniques to employ once the fecal matter hits the blades. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that a peson should not learn what to do in those circumstances. What I am saying is this: Learn to prevent them from happening FIRST! Awareness is a major key to gaining the initial advantage!

Once you have an awareness to potential threats (as well as your vulnerabilities), you can begin to make a plan to out position or maneuver any potential threat. This is the reason why cops always watch people's hands, their feet and their body positioning. This is also the reason why they sit with their backs against the wall to face the front door or other entry ways. By gaining a positional advantage BEFORE any threat can present itself, the chances of a successful extraction are much higher should violence rear its ugly head (as well as the chances of being surprised is much lower)!

Now, let's say you are having a bad day. You are unfocused and unaware of your surrounding. You let your guard down because you are upset over a conversation you had with your girlfriend. Violence has unexpectedly reared its ugly head and you know there's no way out except THROUGH the encounter. This is where training comes into play. No matter what techniques you have trained, you will respond according to your training. For example, if your training involved WAITING for a person to attack you BEFORE you began to move to defend yourself, this is the way you will respond to the set of circumstances that present themselves on the subway. Keep this in mind as you train!

Now, I am an advocate of acting FIRST rather than waiting for violence to lay down its cards. The moment I perceive danger, I am out of there. However, if I have no other choice than to confront the violence, I will always act first. The actions will either be a push or a hit. The purpose for this push or hit is to create more space for more time/action. I may not be able to take my assailant out on the first shot. However, I will always be able to create enough space to HAVE another shot! Additionally, I will also go into WILD BANSHEE mode. This means, I will not stop my vicious assault until the threat has been neutralized and I have gained enough distance away from the theatre of conflict! (Although I have never been attacked on the street, I can't tell you how many times I have been assaulted while teaching seminars I have been punched, kicked, elbowed in the face, had my balls grabbed, been bitten, tackled by two people and even slammed on my head and shoulder. Each time I was caught off guard for a moment because I had let my guard down. However, once I saw the handwriting on the wall, I reacted with swift efficiency!)

Do you see how I barely mentioned technique? Do you see how survival is more of a state of being (or preparedness) than a series of techniques? Keep this in mind as you train!

Good training to you,

Roy Harris

pfs@sprintmail.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harris International
8250 Camino Santa Fe, Suite J."