Rubber Guard Popularity

"There's a black belt at my academy who weighs about 60 kg and is fiendishly good with rubber guard, though he has a great guard and triangle generally. The rubber guard isn't a slow battle of inches with him."

Who is this black belt that you speak of? Where does he teach/train?

Does he use the rubber guard effectively against bigger opponents (of maybe purple-black belt skills)?

kuan - it's not as popular as people would think because it's a fatiguing, pyrrhic style of guard that involves a LOT of holding on and small grip battles and, unless you've devoted a huge amount of time to the muscular endurance and flexibility required for much of it, it simply isn't fun to play or particularly effective against someone who knows what they're doing and where to put their hands.

Add the danger of getting very very bad injuries and its only for the smaller flexible guys and what you got is a cool instructor with a niche following.

ttt

"Who is this black belt that you speak of? Where does he teach/train?"

What's it to you? It's Gavin from Northside MA at Manly in Sydney. If you don't know who I'm talking about then it doesn't matter anyway.

"Does he use the rubber guard effectively against bigger opponents (of maybe purple-black belt skills)?"

Most people are bigger thna him, and yes he does.

"What's it to you? It's Gavin from Northside MA at Manly in Sydney. If you don't know who I'm talking about then it doesn't matter anyway."

Well, if I'm ever in Sydney I wld like to train with the guy. It's rare to find really good BJJers who are small build (below 65kg).

I'm still a novice with the rubber guard, but I've been to an Eddie Bravo seminar and I fell in love with the concept. Just last night, I pulled off an omoplata from the rubber guard. I practically never get the omoplata because everyone powers out of it or something, but it worked like a charm by following the exact instructions Eddie taught.

Before the seminar, I tried working on the rubber guard in class and my knees were hurting from the pressure. During the seminar, Eddie immediately corrected our technique. Done correctly, there was no longer any pain and it was far stronger. The seminar also made me realize just how fantastic the concept of the rubber guard is. But it seems a lot of people still haven't caught on.

Lautaro

"Well, if I'm ever in Sydney I wld like to train with the guy. It's rare to find really good BJJers who are small build (below 65kg)."

It's the Machado school at North Manly run by Anthony Lange. Actually, there's five black belts I can think of who train there regularly and they are all fairly small guys, including Anthony.