Rubber Guard Q for Eddie Bravo

hey Eddie/or any of the 10th Planet guys,

been playing with some of your stuff, but i've always found it sort of difficult/taxing on my knee to go from Mission Control to New York to Chill Dog.

i remember seeing a position for similar control that i thought you referred to as "London" some time ago. couldn't find a pic of it but i did find this - http://grapplearts.com/Rubber-Guard-Setup-2.htm ... referred to as "New School" the control with the opponent's arm overhooked by you grabbing behind the back of your knee while the other arm controls the head and you clasp your hands together. i've had good success going from that, to framing the forearm to the other side of the head creating space, essentially getting me to CHILL DOG.

I have your Mastering Rubber Guard book and no longer see this position in your progression. are Mission Control and New York stronger/preferrable positions of control if you have the flexibility? do you no longer use "London"/"New School" set-ups??

ttt

He addresses this on his submission spirits seminar dvd clip(s). The reason, as eddie explained, that he doesn't use London anymore is because it does not allow you to have a free arm to set-up the triangle, etc.. This is why he just uses the NY control.

Maybe eddie will jump in and correct me, but that's what he says on his dvd.

"been playing with some of your stuff, but i've always found it sort of difficult/taxing on my knee to go from Mission Control to New York to Chill Dog."

Only learnt rubber guard from Eddie's books so take what I say with a grain of salt, but:

Mission Control should be the only position that will be POTENTIALLY taxing on your knee - due to the fact the leverage point is way down at your ankle.

Once shifted to New York/chilldog your hugging your thigh. You may feel a stretch in the thigh and glute muscles from these positions if your inflexible but you shouldn't feel anything in the knee.

ttt

"Mission Control should be the only position that will be POTENTIALLY taxing on your knee - due to the fact the leverage point is way down at your ankle."

yes, it is. that's what i mean. i prefer London as a starting postition into New York and Chill Dog. I also have Eddie's instructional from the Submission Spirits DVD. maybe i need to re-watch it. thanks.

London traps your arm long enough for your opponent to spin and fly over the top and escape into side control, especially if you have gloves on. Huggin the knee(chill dog) fixes that problem by making it very easy to block the spinning and flying over to freedom by just extending your arm to block his body.

London is obsolete :)

eddie bravo myspace page

ttt

and there you have it!

ttt

haha,

"London traps your arm long enough for your opponent to spin and fly over the top and escape into side control"

thanks Eddie. funny you should say that. just figured that out last night as one of my better guys was doing JUST that to me :) i'll keep working on it. using the RG as my initial attack pressure has opened up all these other attacks that i didn't see before. very useful stuff!