Rumor - Dr. Strange will not be an origin story

From http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/08/18/doctor-strange-reportedly-will-skip-the-origin-route/

When Marvel’s Doctor Strange finally arrives in theaters, don’t expect to see a retelling of his journey from arrogant young surgeon to disciple of the Ancient One to Sorcerer Supreme. Although purported script details surfaced more than a year ago, tracing the Master of the Mystic Arts back to age 10, director Scott Derrickson’s film is believed to have done away with all of that, at least in part because the studio is moving away from origin tales.

That comes from Devin Faraci of Badass Digest in an appearance on the Meet the Movie Press podcast. Around the 52-minute mark, he says:

So, for Doctor Strange they’ve had a script in-house forever. It is a pretty standard origin story for Doctor Strange. It’s got Baron Mordo as the bad guy. That’s all gone. Marvel’s new thing is no more origin stories. So, Doctor Strange movie no longer has an origin. It begins in medias res. It has Doctor Strange already established as the Sorcerer Supreme. It is a totally new script. Jon Spaihts is working totally new, On his own, without any of the previous stuff. Not even touching the previous script.

paw comments:  If true, kudos to Marvel for not telling an origin story every time we get the first superhero film.

They can cover his beginnings with a little dialogue, maybe show some medical degrees on the wall.

BigWilliam - They can cover his beginnings with a little dialogue, maybe show some medical degrees on the wall.

Exactly.  The audience doesn't necessarily need 90-120 minutes telling the origin of someone.  A couple lines can do the job.

I FOR ONE WANT TO SEE A MOVIE DEVOID OF ANY ACTUAL MAGIC AND JUST SEE HIM AS A REGULAR DOCTOR FILLING OUT FORMS AND SHIT FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF.   

BIGWHITESEXY -

I FOR ONE WANT TO SEE A MOVIE DEVOID OF ANY ACTUAL MAGIC AND JUST SEE HIM AS A REGULAR DOCTOR FILLING OUT FORMS AND SHIT FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF.   

Lol. Throw in a couple of phone calls dealing with insurance companies and we are set. Phone Post 3.0

Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a wizard!

He better utter the words "this isn't covered under your HMO" atleast once I'm out Phone Post 3.0

Fuckin' A about time! GotG did about as much as I want for origin. 10 minutes tops before the opening credits even roll. That's the reason I tend to like superhero sequels better, you don't spend half the movie as not the superhero. Phone Post 3.0

I don't mind origin stories as long as they are interesting like tony Starks cap could have had less origin but it wa still important to see that. From what I understand stranges origin is really interesting but short so they should make it really interesting but short. Phone Post 3.0

Starks was important because he's the only one that was not a natural "good guy". Like Bruce Wayne, non comic people may have a hard time understanding why a billionaire gives two shits about the world, at least enough to risk his own life constantly. Phone Post 3.0

paw -
BigWilliam - They can cover his beginnings with a little dialogue, maybe show some medical degrees on the wall.

Exactly.  The audience doesn't necessarily need 90-120 minutes telling the origin of someone.  A couple lines can do the job.

I like seeing the origin, I just hate when the whole movie leads up to their first battle.

Maybe open the movie with Dr Strange dreaming about his life as a surgeon and the accident, then waking up, and we get some further dialogue about his background? Phone Post 3.0

They could handle it with a scene where someone asks if he really is a doctor and he says something like, I used to be. And another scene where someone says "You were the most arrogant surgeon I ever met." In some context.

They could show how he's a real doctor by giving a choking victim a tracheotomy with a pen, but using MAGIC! Or give him cool medical catchphrases like,"By the Seven Spires of Sarcoma!" Phone Post 3.0

HIS MAIN VILLIAN SHOULD BE OBAMACARE.  

BIGWHITESEXY - 

HIS MAIN VILLIAN SHOULD BE OBAMACARE.  

lmao.

To be honest Strange's origin story is one I would like to see in movie form.

He has one of those origin stories that sounds completely silly when you sum it up in a few sentences, but would look cool.

How does a former surgeon with fucked up hands climb a mountain... in the cold by himself? Phone Post 3.0

Relax guys...if any of you had done your damn homework and read Triumph and Torment, you would know exactly how the origin story is going to fit into the movie.

No matter what kind of movie it is, I want to hear his catch phrases. "BY THE HOARY HOSTS OF HOGGOTH!!!"

-