Runner's Knee

I have it. It's been a week since I ran and my knee is still fucked. Dull pain and limping on it. Never had to deal with any soreness for more than a day or so. what do?

Are you a runner or did you run?   What kind of shoes ?  Get your ass in some Altras 

Gritty -

Are you a runner or did you run?   What kind of shoes ?  Get your ass in some Altras 

I am a runner. I have Underarmour Shoes because I'm a middle aged white guy. What the hell are Altras?

https://www.altrarunning.com/

1 Like
MarcusAurelioFan -
Gritty -

I am a runner. I have Underarmour Shoes because I'm a middle aged white guy. What the hell are Altras?

Zero drop shoes which every runner should be in. And I’m at work on my feet all day and just wear oldest pair of altras I have. I never have knee pain

did you do anything specific you remember like go off a curb? Long run?  

if it hurts even when you are inactive, that is troubling. Especially after a week. idk. might be time to see a dr. 

I’m 50 and I run in shitty shoes without knee pain.

What am I doing wrong?

ufc98newb -

if it hurts even when you are inactive, that is troubling. Especially after a week. idk. might be time to see a dr. 

I feel like knee pains can be wonky and sporadic.  Hurt for days then poof gone .   You’re far better runner than me, what do you think root cause?  I’ll say overstriding 

Hoka One One's!  Its like running on a cloud.  When you take them off after a run and put your street shoes back on, it's like strapping 2x4's to your feet.

TAC -

Hoka One One's!  Its like running on a cloud.  When you take them off after a run and put your street shoes back on, it's like strapping 2x4's to your feet.

My sneaker enemy has shown himself!  Zero drop god dammit. You know it’s the right choice 

Get your knee checked out and see what is actually wrong. ACL, Meniscus? Find out. See a good sports doctor. It could save your running future.

At the minimum wear a support band to stabilize it.

Best Knee Braces

Best Knee Braces 2021 ‚Äď Consumer Trusted Ratings

Gritty -
TAC -

My sneaker enemy has shown himself!  Zero drop god dammit. You know it’s the right choice 

I respectfully disagree.

However, back to the OP; I'm with these guys.  It sounds like more than just your shoes and something you might want to get checked out.

Once you get it checked out, and if they find nothing wrong, go to a running shoe store.  A real shoe store.  They'll measure everything about your feet.  Then they'll check your stride, how your foot hits, your roll, etc. and recommend a shoe that will be right for how you run.  It makes a world of difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L2b2khySLE

I must repost the best form vid 

https://youtu.be/zSIDRHUWlVo

read "Born to Run" and soon you will be "running" HUNDREDS of miles without pain ;)

1 Like
Gritty -

Well, how 'bout that.  I was looking for an article I thought I remembered about zero drop shoes causing more injuries for a rebuttal and found this:

Zero drop shoes have a higher correlation to injuries that occur in the lower leg and foot, while traditional running shoes cause more injuries to the hip and knee. So, based on the research, there is no golden shoe that's going to make you faster and injury free.

I stand corrected.  I still think that everybody is going to have a different stride and running that would require different types of shoes, but the zero drop would be helpful for the OP's knee issue.

Please don't immediately jump into zero drop shoes. That's asking for calf and Achilles trouble. You should go to a local running store and have them find the right shoe for you.

Gritty -
ufc98newb -

I feel like knee pains can be wonky and sporadic.  Hurt for days then poof gone .   You’re far better runner than me, what do you think root cause?  I’ll say overstriding 

overstriding is a root cause of a lot of running injuries. hard to say. I am not a big advocate of messing with somebody's natural running form, but shorter quicker strides are always gonna be easier on the body. 

and to the guy who mentioned a knee brace, they can sometimes work miraculously. sometimes they don't do anything. definitely worth a shot. 

i have no stance on shoes. different strokes for different folks. zero drop shoes give me shin splints. almost immediately, though i could probably take my time to work into them. i am good with most neutral trainers, so no need to fuss at the moment. 

TAC -
Gritty -

Well, how 'bout that.  I was looking for an article I thought I remembered about zero drop shoes causing more injuries for a rebuttal and found this:

Zero drop shoes have a higher correlation to injuries that occur in the lower leg and foot, while traditional running shoes cause more injuries to the hip and knee. So, based on the research, there is no golden shoe that's going to make you faster and injury free.

I stand corrected.  I still think that everybody is going to have a different stride and running that would require different types of shoes, but the zero drop would be helpful for the OP's knee issue.

They may cause injuries if you jump right into them after a lifetime of heel height.   But the foot is the only place on body we totally go out of our way to disrupt human mechanics.  I love altras for both being zero drop and having huge toe box. Imagine your hands if you wore tight mittens 8-12 hours a day 

I typically run in Altras but they're not for everyone. I coached a HS kid a couple of years ago who ran 4:09 in the mile and 4mm offset shoes wrecked his calves anytime he'd tried them. He does best in cushioned trainers and has never had a running injury.

If I run in anything cushioned, I get aches and pains.

Like ufcnewb said, different shoes work for different people.