Running help - how to improve my 5k time

I'm fit, but generally have focused on weights. I'm 6'1", and a relatively muscular 190lbs. I have a pretty low bf%, but could lose 5 lbs so my abs show a bit more, but I love food, so fuck that.

A year ago I started wanting to improve my 5k time. I started out at around 25 minutes, and have improved from there. However the last 4 months I have stalled at a bit under 23 minutes.

Besides doing 5k runs regularly and some 10k's, I do interval work, where I sprint then jog, repeatedly.

What should I do to break through my stagnation? Phone Post 3.0

Run faster Phone Post 3.0

Ankle weights Phone Post 3.0

How's your breathing regimen?

Do you use a training mask?

If you're going for a PR, are you gassed at the end? Phone Post 3.0

how often, what distance, and how long are you doing for intervals?

Are you doing any races? Races can be great for improving speed, but only if you are a very competitive person.

Cardio. Also known as the ability to lose gains. Phone Post 3.0

thedogofdogs -

How's your breathing regimen?

Do you use a training mask?

Breathing regimen - completely basic. Just try to breathe in and out in deep controlled breaths. Have not researched anything. You may actually be onto something.

Haven't used any training masks. Phone Post 3.0

Wolfs Law - If you're going for a PR, are you gassed at the end? Phone Post 3.0
Always going for PR, and going balls to the wall, where I am completely toast at the end. I may be going too strong out the gate. I'm not sure. Imapmyrun says my average speed is most at the beginning and end, where it dips a little amount in the middle. Elevation changes are not a factor, it's a pretty flat run. Phone Post 3.0

TheSergeK - Run faster Phone Post 3.0
This. Besides the obvious, you have to teach your body what a 6 minute (or whatever your goal) feels like. A track helps a lot with this. The shorter the track the better too. If you can find a 1/6 or 1/8 mile track at a gym, its easier to learn that pace. Do 1/1s (1 lap at target, 1 jog or current) then 2-1, 3-1, etc. Phone Post 3.0

ufc98newb - how often, what distance, and how long are you doing for intervals?

Are you doing any races? Races can be great for improving speed, but only if you are a very competitive person.
I'm insanely competitive, even with myself. It pisses me off to no end that I am not improving. Couldn't be driven more when I am running.

Due to work, and still wanting to do weights a bit, I only can do cardio 3 days. It's usually 2 5ks and either a 10k or intervals.

Intervals are pretty basic, no rigor behind them. I generally like sprinting hard for 40 seconds, then doing a hard jog for 40 secs, then a lighter jog for a couple of minutes. Rinse and repeat for 30 minutes. Phone Post 3.0

...forgot to mention, you gotta time your pace too. So if your goal is a 6 min mile, you should be hitting your laps at exactly 1 minute. Phone Post 3.0

How many miles per week are you running? If less than 50, run more. Phone Post 3.0

Amos Moses - Cardio. Also known as the ability to lose gains. Phone Post 3.0
I'm 41, and peaked with weights at early 30's where I could press 315 for one rep, doing the lift off myself. With work demands and family life, over the last 7-8 years I regressed where 275 is just barely too much weight for me, and do 245's for my heavy set. I still love weights, but now it is just to try to maintain what I have, or lose as little as possible. That, and my joints have a lot of city miles on them! Phone Post 3.0

Watch prefontaine and rocky 3 daily. Or just record your time on every run and push it hard enough to beat your last time. Phone Post 3.0

1800champagne - How many miles per week are you running? If less than 50, run more. Phone Post 3.0
Unfortunately my work and family schedule only allows for 3 days of cardio a week, with those sessions at lunch time, so I'm limited to duration as well.

I'm sure the 'work smarter not harder' can apply, since my training is not scientific at all, it's basically run as fast as my legs and lungs allow me. This thread is my first attempt at gaining knowledge and researching effective training methods. Phone Post 3.0

Intervals or repeats once a week. A long run on the weekend. Run as much as you can inbetween without getting injured.

Body weight is huge with running. You are fighting gravity with each stride. The lower your body weight, the easier it is do the same unit of work = more speed. Phone Post 3.0

GROUNDnLB -
Amos Moses - Cardio. Also known as the ability to lose gains. Phone Post 3.0
I'm 41, and peaked with weights at early 30's where I could press 315 for one rep, doing the lift off myself. With work demands and family life, over the last 7-8 years I regressed where 275 is just barely too much weight for me, and do 245's for my heavy set. I still love weights, but now it is just to try to maintain what I have, or lose as little as possible. That, and my joints have a lot of city miles on them! Phone Post 3.0
I'm just messing with ya, buddy. I need to incorporate some cardio into my training. That, or stop drinking beer, and we all know that ain't happening. Phone Post 3.0

I feel like someone that actually ran track should be able to help you. Maybe there's a youtube video where you can post questions or you pay the person 50 bux and they give you a routine...

GROUNDnLB - 
ufc98newb - how often, what distance, and how long are you doing for intervals?

I'm insanely competitive, even with myself. It pisses me off to no end that I am not improving. Couldn't be driven more when I am running.

Due to work, and still wanting to do weights a bit, I only can do cardio 3 days. It's usually 2 5ks and either a 10k or intervals.

Intervals are pretty basic, no rigor behind them. I generally like sprinting hard for 40 seconds, then doing a hard jog for 40 secs, then a lighter jog for a couple of minutes. Rinse and repeat for 30 minutes. Phone Post 3.0

40 second sprint intervals are good, but that is probably something close to 200m. You need to work up to 400m intervals, and eventually 800m. As poster above said, these need to be done at a realistic goal pace for your 5k.

Right now, at 23 mins for a 5k, your pace is something like 7:25, so that would be around a 3:40 800m interval. You probably want to work something like 3:20, with a slow jog lap in between. Do this 4-6 times. Keep with that until it gets to easy, then shorten the break or speed up. You need to be able to feel pretty good doing around 6 those, and your body will be used to running that speed for roughly 3 miles.

You can get a lot of 3 workouts per week, if you are working hard on those days. A good mix for those 3 workouts would be one hard 5k, an easier 10k, and intervals. Those fast paced 800m intervals are probably the most important workout of the week, if you are worried about getting faster.