Running Increases Testosterone?

I thought it decreased it! Who knew?

http://socialethology.com/how-did-evolution-transform-us-into-endurance-runners Phone Post 3.0

Anyone? Phone Post 3.0

Stop jacking off to increase testosterone! Do NoFap!

reddit.com/r/nofap

MarsMan - 

Look at how built those endurance runners are...

Because high testosterone = yoked...

im no scientist, but my libido significantly increases when i get back on a regualr "running" (more like easy jogging) schedule

but running usually coincides with traneing, as well....but when i am physically active for regualr periods of time, i def feel more virile

Interesting article. Not only hits on the topic of endurance hunting and evolution, but also fighting and evolution. Apparently, much more powerful strikes can be achieved from a biped stance than a quadripedal stance. (Not sure how they gauged this -for monkeys or for people?)

I also read a different article about the role of fighting in human evolution. Apparently, humans are the only primates with the correct proportions to make a proper fist. It's a flawed weapon, no doubt, but being able to transform your hand into a solid ball of bone would have some benefits, even if it does break easily.

That's not what the study cited in the article says. The study showed an observational correlation between the pointer finger: ring finger ratio and half-marathon times. That ratio is correlated with testosterone exposure in the womb. If anything (and this is a jump in conclusion), that would mean higher testosterone leads to better endurance performance, not that endurance running increases testosterone. Phone Post 3.0

5 o clock shadow - Interesting article. Not only hits on the topic of endurance hunting and evolution, but also fighting and evolution. Apparently, much more powerful strikes can be achieved from a biped stance than a quadripedal stance. (Not sure how they gauged this -for monkeys or for people?)

I also read a different article about the role of fighting in human evolution. Apparently, humans are the only primates with the correct proportions to make a proper fist. It's a flawed weapon, no doubt, but being able to transform your hand into a solid ball of bone would have some benefits, even if it does break easily.
That's interesting about bipedal striking, but a chimp shrugs off the right cross and bites you in the gnards. (More effective) Phone Post 3.0

I've gone on some long-distance runs and I don't know no Portuguese. Phone Post 3.0

Powdered Toast Man - I've gone on some long-distance runs and I don't know no Portuguese. Phone Post 3.0

Perhaps it's time to study up my good man.

SPRINTING FOR THE TESTOSTERONE WIN! Phone Post 3.0

Uh, did you guys actually read the article?  It certainly doesn't say that running increases testosterone.  In fact, everything about that article is dogshit (aside from the bipedal fighting thing.  That's somewhat interesting).  

Look at what it actually says about running and testosterone.  It states "A correlation between resistance to prolonged physical effort and a high level of testosterone in human body has strenghten.” 

First, that sentence is almost gibberish.  However, what the author is stating is that there is a correlation between being a good runner and higher levels of testosterone.  This statement is completely unsupported. The author then goes on to state:

“Even today, according to most recent studies, our long-distance running performance (like 21 km long semimarathons) is being proven by men who were exposed to significant level of testosterone while they were still in thir mother’s womb.”

Again, this is so incredibly poorly written that it’s a little surprising anyone would read this article and give it respect.  But here, the author is saying there’s a correlation between distance running performance and testosterone levels in the womb.  The author cites a journal article published by a post-doc student at Cambridge whose background is philosophy.

Anyways, what that study did was look at running performance compared to digit ratio.  Digit ratio, if you don’t know, is the difference in length of your fingers relative to one another.  There have been some pretty weak studies to show a tenuous correlation between this finger length ratio and reproductive success. 

So, in essence, what the cited “study” concluded was
   1) there’s a correlation between running performance and digit ratio
   2) there’s a correlation between digit ratio and reproductive success
   3) therefore, there’s a correlation between running performance and reproductive success

Note, this is NOT what the article’s author claims is the conclusion of the study.  He says the study found:

2) there’s a correlation between digit ratio and exposure to testosterone in the womb (there is, but that’s not             what the cited study states)
  3) therefore, there’s a correlation between running performance and exposure to testosterone in the womn

The actual study is pretty fucking weak as far as scientific studies go.  The author also misrepresented what the study found. Further, neither the article nor the study said there was any cause/effect relationship between running and testosterone production. 

So, in conclusion, that article is complete shit and OP should be set on fire for perpetuating it.

Arglebargle BBC 4eva -
5 o clock shadow - Interesting article. Not only hits on the topic of endurance hunting and evolution, but also fighting and evolution. Apparently, much more powerful strikes can be achieved from a biped stance than a quadripedal stance. (Not sure how they gauged this -for monkeys or for people?)

That's interesting about bipedal striking, but a chimp shrugs off the right cross and bites you in the gnards. (More effective) Phone Post 3.0
Maybe YOUR right cross. Phone Post 3.0

Haven't read the article yet but it's ExTREME endurance training that causes a rise in cortisol and therefore a lowering of testosterone.

To cause test to drop your talking about running 50-70 or more miles a week or training 20 hours a week.

A little bit of running or endurance training within moderation like most people do won't cause a drop in testosterone Phone Post 3.0

beatbum - SPRINTING FOR THE TESTOSTERONE WIN! Phone Post 3.0
This. HIIT with sprints. Phone Post 3.0

Anaerobic bursts I'm assuming? Phone Post 3.0

Mencken -

Uh, did you guys actually read the article?  It certainly doesn't say that running increases testosterone.  In fact, everything about that article is dogshit (aside from the bipedal fighting thing.  That's somewhat interesting).  

Look at what it actually says about running and testosterone.  It states "A correlation between resistance to prolonged physical effort and a high level of testosterone in human body has strenghten.” 

First, that sentence is almost gibberish.  However, what the author is stating is that there is a correlation between being a good runner and higher levels of testosterone.  This statement is completely unsupported. The author then goes on to state:

“Even today, according to most recent studies, our long-distance running performance (like 21 km long semimarathons) is being proven by men who were exposed to significant level of testosterone while they were still in thir mother’s womb.”

Again, this is so incredibly poorly written that it’s a little surprising anyone would read this article and give it respect.  But here, the author is saying there’s a correlation between distance running performance and testosterone levels in the womb.  The author cites a journal article published by a post-doc student at Cambridge whose background is philosophy.

Anyways, what that study did was look at running performance compared to digit ratio.  Digit ratio, if you don’t know, is the difference in length of your fingers relative to one another.  There have been some pretty weak studies to show a tenuous correlation between this finger length ratio and reproductive success. 

So, in essence, what the cited “study” concluded was

2) there’s a correlation between digit ratio and reproductive success

3) therefore, there’s a correlation between running performance and reproductive success

Note, this is NOT what the article’s author claims is the conclusion of the study.  He says the study found:

2) there’s a correlation between digit ratio and exposure to testosterone in the womb (there is, but that’s not             what the cited study states)

3) therefore, there’s a correlation between running performance and exposure to testosterone in the womn

The actual study is pretty fucking weak as far as scientific studies go.  The author also misrepresented what the study found. Further, neither the article nor the study said there was any cause/effect relationship between running and testosterone production. 

So, in conclusion, that article is complete shit and OP should be set on fire for perpetuating it.

Voted up! Thanks for the break down! (Aside from the me being set on fire thing....) Phone Post 3.0